UKC

Disgusting waste of money or justified cost of talent? - Bale

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 balmybaldwin 02 Sep 2013
At a time where Spain's economy is pretty much crippled, is it right that Real Madrid pay £85m for one footballer?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/23538218

In general, how do people feel about the obnoxiously high salaries paid to footballers and other sports stars? We see a lot in the press about fat cat bankers/company directors etc, but very rarely see any criticism of the money paid to/for sports men & women (although many women in sport are underpaid in comparison to the men).

Interested in knowing wha the opinion of UKC is on this.
 wilkie14c 02 Sep 2013
In reply to balmybaldwin:
with footballers you have to remember that £85 million is not the price of the player, it's the price paid to stop rival teams getting him
OP balmybaldwin 02 Sep 2013
In reply to wilkie14c:
> (In reply to balmybaldwin)
> with footballers you have to remember that £85 million is not the price of the player, it's the price paid to stop rival teams getting him

Regardless of the reason for paying that amount, would the interests of the club and local area not benefit more from £85m being spent on coaching kids from the local area/spain and the jobs, building work that might be required to support this?
 teflonpete 02 Sep 2013
> (In reply to wilkie14c)
> [...]
>
> Regardless of the reason for paying that amount, would the interests of the club and local area not benefit more from £85m being spent on coaching kids from the local area/spain and the jobs, building work that might be required to support this?

It would certainly be a more equitable way to spend the money but going to watch a load of kids being coached at a newly built football academy wouldn't raise any revenue for the club in ticket sales.
 PeterM 02 Sep 2013

Soccer is a pile of wank. It's a mass delusion of 'fans' supporting and being fleeced by an organisation (team) that doesn't really give a shit if they live or die. In a lot of cases it fills the blank space in a lot of peoples lives which is sad.. but until they make a stand the clubs see them as idiot cash cows.
 lost1977 02 Sep 2013

what i find disgusting is the fact that very few sports throw big money around and many sports people struggle financially. imagine playing sports at national/international level and still having to find other work just so you can support your family
Clauso 02 Sep 2013

It gets worse when you consider the allegations that Real Madrid are effectively bankrolled by the Spanish state! No wonder the Catalans have 'issues' with them?

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/european/exclusive-real-madrid-...
 The New NickB 02 Sep 2013

Certain people on here never stop boring on about footballers salaries.
 elsewhere 02 Sep 2013
Fat cat bankers/directors have their salary etc decided by their peers on remuneration committees. Their performance is relatively opaque when judging what they're worth on a free market.

A footballer's salary is not decided by other players in the league.
Their performance is highly transparent since it is televised for all to see.

The sellers (players/agents) and buyers (clubs) of football skills operate in a market that is far more likely to get the price right according to the efficient-market hypothesis*.

*note that's just one of many economic theories
In reply to wilkie14c:
> with footballers you have to remember that £85 million is not the price of the player, it's the price paid to stop rival teams getting him

Was anybody else in for Bale? Only Spurs and Real couldn't really be said to be rival teams, what with them not being in any of the same competitions (unless Real get dumped out of the Champions League and end up in the Europa League, which seems unlikely)...
 Dave Garnett 02 Sep 2013

Not sure I understand how a football club can be said to waste money, given that it has no useful function anyway.
 wilkie14c 02 Sep 2013
> (In reply to wilkie14c)
> [...]
>
> Regardless of the reason for paying that amount, would the interests of the club and local area not benefit more from £85m being spent on coaching kids from the local area/spain and the jobs, building work that might be required to support this?

Welcome to the modern face of football - the global brand <not helping the local area, no money in that see>
In reply to balmybaldwin: The BBC stated that they will recoup the transfer cost in shirt sales alone! staggering.
 sjminfife 02 Sep 2013
In reply to higherclimbingwales:
> (In reply to balmybaldwin) The BBC stated that they will recoup the transfer cost in shirt sales alone! staggering.
I understood from the World Service that Beckham was worth Eu800M to them.

In reply to PeterM: Spurs fan?

Football may well be a well oiled money making machine, but nothing comes close to being able to give a fan such a cross spectrum of extreme emotions in a 90 minute period IMO. hence why it is so popular. Obviously you don't get it, which is a shame but fair enough.

Take a derby game like the two yesterday. For the fans, the quality of the game comes a poor second to winning. As you are watching, the tension/stress of hoping that you won't lose, and the total elation if they score a goal is all consuming, and if there is actually attractive football on top, well that's just a bonus. Those same fans thinking about the game for days prior and after the actual match...the banter, the wind ups, the camaraderie.

Having said all of that, £85m for Bale does seem a tad too much.
 Banned User 77 02 Sep 2013
> At a time where Spain's economy is pretty much crippled, is it right that Real Madrid pay £85m for one footballer?
>
> http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/23538218
>
> In general, how do people feel about the obnoxiously high salaries paid to footballers and other sports stars? We see a lot in the press about fat cat bankers/company directors etc, but very rarely see any criticism of the money paid to/for sports men & women (although many women in sport are underpaid in comparison to the men).
>
> Interested in knowing wha the opinion of UKC is on this.

And film stars and musicians...

Footballers get the brunt yet earn a lot less than many other sports people..

Personally I dislike the money agents get.. footballers have talent.. people pay to watch them. Not their agent. As long as the company, like ManU, is ran in an economically feasible way.. I'm OK with it.

I'm unsure about Madrid.. a good business model.. but they buy on huge amounts of installments.. and still owe for previous players.

I also don't like how they had 100's of millions of debt.. had their training ground bought for 100's of millions and basically got given free training ground.. so the debt wiped out by the government..

English clubs have to cope much more than they did.
In reply to lost1977:
>
> what i find disgusting is the fact that very few sports throw big money around and many sports people struggle financially. imagine playing sports at national/international level and still having to find other work just so you can support your family

i don't mind that at all. OK some grant would be nice but I'm in a minority sport.. honestly can say I don't have a moments envy for the those on many millions. Noone pays to watch my sport.. well not much.. millions pay to watch good football.
In reply to Bjartur í Sumarhús:
> (In reply to PeterM) Spurs fan?
>
>
>
> Football may well be a well oiled money making machine, but nothing comes close to being able to give a fan such a cross spectrum of extreme emotions in a 90 minute period IMO. hence why it is so popular. Obviously you don't get it, which is a shame but fair enough.
>
> Take a derby game like the two yesterday. For the fans, the quality of the game comes a poor second to winning. As you are watching, the tension/stress of hoping that you won't lose, and the total elation if they score a goal is all consuming, and if there is actually attractive football on top, well that's just a bonus. Those same fans thinking about the game for days prior and after the actual match...the banter, the wind ups, the camaraderie.
>
> Having said all of that, £85m for Bale does seem a tad too much.

Agree.. City/QPR 2 seasons ago.. incredible.. even as a United fan on the end of it.. few sports can touch that sort of drama..
 Andy Hardy 02 Sep 2013
In reply to IainRUK:

> [...] millions pay to watch good football.

^^^^^ This ^^^^^

It's about putting bums on seats and getting people to buy subscriptions to SKY and replica shirts and all the rest.

Good luck to the lad I'd say, I just hope he settles in well and doesn't cave in under the mahoosive weight of expectation that will be heaped on him.
In reply to 999thAndy: Just said on the FRA forum.. I think he will be back by next christmas.. ronaldo will moan and moan if Bale shot instead of passing.. look at Kaka.. huge failure there.

I struggle to see a team with those two in doing well.. I think he'll come back to Man U maybe.. 40 million by next christmas or 2 seasons from now..
 PeterM 02 Sep 2013
In reply to Bjartur í Sumarhús:
> (In reply to PeterM) Spurs fan?
>
>
>
> Football may well be a well oiled money making machine, but nothing comes close to being able to give a fan such a cross spectrum of extreme emotions in a 90 minute period IMO. hence why it is so popular.

Almost the definition of 'vicarious'

>Obviously you don't get it, which is a shame but fair enough.

- oh I get it alright,

> Those same fans thinking about the game for days prior and after the actual match...the banter, the wind ups, the camaraderie.

- just sad really. Be better spent celebrating or recalling something they actually did themselves instead of boring the tits off people about stuff others did on a pitch.

In reply to PeterM: No you don't.. I don't get cricket.. nor golf.. so I don't post on ashes threads knocking it..

So everyone thinks footballs shite.. those 2 million a week who play football then start climbing.. 25 million who watch regular football.. yes almost 1 in 2 of the population.. start climbing...

Then Peter M bleats on that the crags are busy...

In reply to PeterM:
> (In reply to Bjartur í Sumarhús)
> > [...]
>
> - just sad really. Be better spent celebrating or recalling something they actually did themselves instead of boring the tits off people about stuff others did on a pitch.

So you never watch TV? Have any favourite musicians? bands? you only enjoy what you yourself do?
Wiley Coyote2 02 Sep 2013
Football is a business and Bale is a business investment, just like a manufacturer buying a new machine. If he helps them win La Liga, do well in Europe, sell more shirts, get a higher paying sponsor so that ultimately he generates more than he costs then he's a worthwhile investment. Plus players of that calibre who can do these things are few and far between so the law of supply and demand comes in. Other clubs may have wanted Bale but few have pockets as deep as Real so would not bother embarassing themselves by bidding. Spurs would not sell to a rival premiership club so that ruled out English clubs.
Movie stars are the same. Is Tom Cruise worth £15m for three months' work on a film? If his name puts £100m on the box office then I'd say he was a bargain regardless of what anyone thinks of his abilities. If the return exceeds the outlay that's good business.
In reply to Ramblin dave:
> http://whatbaleearns.co.uk/

If he's on £300K per week as reported, that seems to be underestimating it a bit
In reply to teflonpete:
> [...]
>
> It would certainly be a more equitable way to spend the money but going to watch a load of kids being coached at a newly built football academy wouldn't raise any revenue for the club in ticket sales.

Not in ticket sales, but this is a short term view... think of the long term - more fans in the area, more talent realised, cheaper youth players (i.e. no transfer fees), profits from selling their youth talent etc.
In reply to PeterM: "Almost the definition of 'vicarious'"

Well that's a silly statement as your definition of it can be applied to fans of all sports, not just football

" just sad really. Be better spent celebrating or recalling something they actually did themselves instead of boring the tits off people about stuff others did on a pitch"

Another silly statement. It is possible to enjoy talking about a future/played game AND participate and enjoy playing sport as well.

I was right first time, and your reply just confirms it. You don't get it at all.
 icnoble 02 Sep 2013
In reply to balmybaldwin: I don't have any issues with what sports stars and pop stars get paid, it is the fans that ultimately pay.
In reply to icnoble:
> (In reply to balmybaldwin) I don't have any issues with what sports stars and pop stars get paid, it is the fans that ultimately pay.

Thats what I think.. I rarely go.. my parents have season tickets at Man U (and exec seating).. so maybe my inheritance is taking a hit.. but for me the cost is unjustifiable when I also pay to compete..

dek 02 Sep 2013
In reply to IainRUK:
Bale should've gone to Man U. Imagine what a team that would be?!
 goldmember 02 Sep 2013
In reply to dek: where would giggs play?
 xplorer 02 Sep 2013

Football is pretty crap though.

Yes it's popular to watch, but how many who watch actually play competitively or for fun for that matter.

Most of the fans are overweight and disgracefully unfit.

Maybe these so called role model footballers could inspire some of the fans to take on their fitness regime.

GrahamD 02 Sep 2013
In reply to goldmember:
> (In reply to dek) where would giggs play?

away, allegedly

Rosco P Coltrane 02 Sep 2013

Formula One attracts far less of a global audience and income than football and yet the money paid to top racing drivers dwarfs what Bale is earning. Fernando Alonso is reported to be on around 30 million euros a year. That's more than double Bale's deal. It's believed Lewis Hamilton is on even more. On those grounds you could say that football is punching above it's weight.
andymac 02 Sep 2013
In reply to IainRUK:
> (In reply to 999thAndy) Just said on the FRA forum.. I think he will be back by next christmas.. ronaldo will moan and moan if Bale shot instead of passing.. look at Kaka.. huge failure there.
>
> I struggle to see a team with those two in doing well.. I think he'll come back to Man U maybe.. 40 million by next christmas or 2 seasons from now..

is my take on it too.

Ronaldo will rule the roost.

And Bale will be the outsider.

Should've stayed in England IMO

If someone had told me 5 years ago that Bale would one day command an 80+ transfer fee ,I would have done my Churchill the dog impression.

In his early days at Spurs he was a joke.

The Bale curse became almost epic.
 Andy Hardy 02 Sep 2013
In reply to thread:
Have we ever had popshot and x-plorer replying to one another?
 xplorer 02 Sep 2013
In reply to 999thAndy:

Haha yes we have.

Trust me I'm not popshot!

Are you overweight?
estivoautumnal 02 Sep 2013

If a player in the UK is on 200k+ a week and is paying UK tax, (I do stress UK here) then presumably they will be contributing more tax to the economy in a year than an average person does in a lifetime?

Personally I have no problem with anyone earning big wages as long as it comes from the pockets of the people paying for their services and not the taxpayer.

andymac 02 Sep 2013

Didn't know Ozil was Arsenal bound.

Now that is a good signing.
 Andy Hardy 02 Sep 2013
In reply to xplorer:

I'm neither overweight nor a football fan, beyond watching games if they appear on 'council telly'. It's just that your last post urging football players to be role models and castigating fans for being fat knackers had that callow patina we've come to know from popshot's dribblings
 xplorer 03 Sep 2013
In reply to 999thAndy:

I think we need ill call that remark popshots law
 Banned User 77 03 Sep 2013
In reply to estivoautumnal:
>
> If a player in the UK is on 200k+ a week and is paying UK tax, (I do stress UK here) then presumably they will be contributing more tax to the economy in a year than an average person does in a lifetime?
>
> Personally I have no problem with anyone earning big wages as long as it comes from the pockets of the people paying for their services and not the taxpayer.

They don't.. they get registered as businesses.. they still pay huge taxes but not the full amount.

In reply to xplorer: Most footballers are roll models.

But why is that news? Carrick? comes in to work.. plays well, never complains, never out drunk, never in trouble, stable guy. No press.

Scholes 20 years at United hardly ever in the press as he sunned it.. no press.

Van Persie?

Lampard?

Then you have the bad eggs.. who get the press.. At each club there maybe 1-2 bad eggs. Most of them are driven out at a young age.

TBH even Rooney isn't that bad really. You have to remember where he came from, how uneducated the family are.. and how awful his agent is. Horrible peace of work.
 Mike Highbury 03 Sep 2013
In reply to IainRUK:
> Lampard?
>
Once he went on holiday to Ayia Napa.
 Andy Hardy 03 Sep 2013
In reply to IainRUK:
> (In reply to estivoautumnal)
> [...]
>
> They don't.. they get registered as businesses.. they still pay huge taxes but not the full amount.

How do they avoid IR35?
 1poundSOCKS 03 Sep 2013
In reply to estivoautumnal: I think the fact that their wages seem so huge, in comparison to our own, is a sign of the huge inequality in our society. I'm not so sure this is a good thing.
 andrewmc 03 Sep 2013

From a purely capitalist point of view, he is almost certainly worth that much.
From a personal point of view, I find the idea that someone's time can be worth more than 2, maybe 3 times another person's time insane (depending only on how hard they are working and how unpleasant the job is).

You can therefore extrapolate to my opinion of capitalism :P
estivoautumnal 03 Sep 2013
In reply to 1poundSOCKS:
> (In reply to estivoautumnal) I think the fact that their wages seem so huge, in comparison to our own, is a sign of the huge inequality in our society. I'm not so sure this is a good thing.

It's a good thing for the high earners. Life has had its winners and losers since life started. People are worth what they are paid. You may not agree with it.
 Enty 03 Sep 2013
In reply to IainRUK:
>
>
> Scholes 20 years at United hardly ever in the press as he sunned it.. no press.
>
>

Still a dim-wit though. My mate used to be the spark at Scholes' mansion and did any electrical jobs. He went round one day on a job and there were two pairs of top end, brand new, Adidas trainers in the skip.
When my mate asked him what the crack was, Scholes said Adidas sent them but he didn't like them....

E
 FreshSlate 03 Sep 2013
In reply to Enty: Problem?
 Enty 03 Sep 2013
In reply to FreshSlate:

Na - it's perfectly normal behavior to throw 200 quids worth of trainers in a skip without having the intelligence to see if anyone might benefit from them.

E
In reply to Enty: TBF its like you pouring a cup of tea down the sink...

But all in all I think him and the Nevilles are the best advert there can be for British football.

Enty 03 Sep 2013
In reply to IainRUK:
> (In reply to Enty) TBF its like you pouring a cup of tea down the sink...
>

Nothing like that at all.

> But all in all I think him and the Nevilles are the best advert there can be for British football.

Agree - I've got a lot of time for GN. Loved the way how he never had an agent. Thought his book was good.

E

In reply to Enty: Then you earn a lot more than I do..

Aye I loved Neville.. did so much by realising he wasn't that good.. just worked and worked.. Carragher was similar. Heard a few say they gave Carragher no chance when he first appeared on the scene.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...