UKC

modern bolts and staples

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 mikealexpayne 02 Sep 2013
can anyone tell me roughly how far into the rock do bolts and staples go ? i have just started to do some sport routes and am interested to find out
 LucaC 02 Sep 2013
In reply to mikealexpayne: Obvioisly depends on the bolt, which depends on it's location and intended purpose, but have a look at http://www.bolt-products.com/Catalogue.htm for some examples.
 JLS 02 Sep 2013
In reply to mikealexpayne:

Could be as little as 50mm in hard rock. In softer rock like sandstone 100mm might be more appropriate.
 Kemics 02 Sep 2013
In reply to JLS:

I would have thought nearly all bolts were longer than 50mm? At least all the glue-ins I've encountered have been, possibly expansions are shorter?
 dagibbs 07 Sep 2013
In reply to Kemics:

An expansion bolt in good rock (hard, compact) would be 50mm into the rock pretty commonly.
 jimtitt 07 Sep 2013
In reply to mikealexpayne:
The requirements for EN959 (the European standard for rock anchors) are embedded length for mechanical bolts must be at least 5X the diameter and for glue-ins 70mm.
The usual size of bolt-ins is 10mm x 80mm which give a length in the rock of around 45 to 50mm and for glue-ins the industry standard length is 80mm. For some rock types they go longer, we make them up to 200mm on occasion for the paranoic climbing on rubble!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...