UKC

40m rope: Mammut Vertex vs Edelrid Python

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 BnB 06 Sep 2013
Hi. I reckon 40m is the perfect length for gritstone cragging, long enough for any pitch and belay, but no wasted weight or coiling, as with a 50m. It's also a perfect length for the Skye ridge where a thickish rope is reassuring over sharp ledges. I wouldn't intend to use it for long mountaineering routes where my 50m half would be better, so not looking at lightweight, skinny options. Durability and ease of handling are the key attributes.

Mammut Vertex and Edelrid Python are both available in this length and at a good price. But which to go for? Thoughts, please.
 EddInaBox 06 Sep 2013
In reply to BnB:

Do you retire your ropes when the ends start to look well used or chop off a few metres? If you start with a 40m rope there won't be much left if you do the latter. I have a Beal Edlinger, it's 10.2mm whereas your choices were 10mm, so might wear a bit better, and although the packet said it was 35m long the markers on the ends say 40m, a quick search shows retailers offering it for less than £50 if you dig a bit. On the other hand my 10.5mm 50m Beal Top Gun II has lasted for ages, the ends are looking slightly the worse for wear and I'll cut it down at some point and still have a little over 40m left.
OP BnB 06 Sep 2013
In reply to EddInaBox:
> (In reply to BnB)
>
> Do you retire your ropes when the ends start to look well used or chop off a few metres?

No, I would just retire the thing and get a nice shiny new one. Life is too short to be using tired kit. At least from where I'm standing looking into my sixth decade.

Anyone got experience of these two rope options?
bust3r 07 Sep 2013
In reply to BnB:

I have the vertex, although for wall use, excellent rope.
Sorry I'm not much help.
 mrdigitaljedi 07 Sep 2013
In reply to BnB: Ive recently brought the python from hitch n hike, i prefer the edelrid over the mammut simply because the mammut tangles and knots itself to much for my liking thus making a start frustrating at times.
 Chi Cheng 07 Sep 2013
In reply to BnB:
Hey,

I've owned both ropes but used them exclusively for indoors.

I loved the Python as it is more supple and handles very nicely but it did not last very long. (8 Months). I take a lot of falls.

The Vertex is a great rope but is stiffer and gets softer with use. Unlike most Mammut rope that usually get more wiry with use. Got mine to last (13 Months)

Kind regards,
Chi
 Blue Straggler 08 Sep 2013
In reply to BnB:
> Hi. I reckon 40m is the perfect length for gritstone cragging, long enough for any pitch and belay

Might be pushing it for some longer routes at Millstone where you may have to go all the way back to the fence to make a belay, although if you have some long cordelettes I guess you'll manage. Otherwise, I agree 40m is decent for gritstone.

(check route lengths and belay points at Dovestones Tor and Shining Clough as well though)

I would personally take my 60m single to the aforementioned 3. "Just in case"

OP BnB 08 Sep 2013
In reply to Blue Straggler: Thanks for the thoughts everyone. Yes, I have a longer rope for distant-belay venues. And I've found 40m is enough for most straight pitches in the mountains as well, at least the ones I frequent. My 50m half is an Edelrid and I agree the handling is nice and supple. Sounds like the Python is the better choice.
 mrdigitaljedi 10 Sep 2013
In reply to BnB: I agree the python is sooo nice n supple compared to the mammut, used mine 1st time sunday on stanage delightful isnt the word...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...