UKC

Recommend me a stove

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 CharlieMack 09 Sep 2013
My Coleman f1 has finally packed in after about 7 years. So trying to decide whether to go down the small packable route again. Or a lightweight stove system such as the jetboil/ primus eta.

I got a jetboil flash for xmas last year and went through 3 of them in quick succession due to all being faulty. And after emailing jetboil with no reply, I am slightly against getting one.

Though the ease of being able to make a quick faff free brew is very appealing with its ready insulated mug component.

Otherwise I'm thinking small reliable stove and thermos combo for about the same price.

What are people's views and experience. Also if I get a jetboil, that would be my only means of cooking. Although it is usually boil in bag type food I take, so not a massive issue.
 d_b 09 Sep 2013
In reply to CharlieMack:

If you just use boil in the bag/freeze dried type food then a jetboil type stove is great. If you actually want to cook then they are a bit rubbish.

Personally I don't own one as I can't justify it for the odd occasion I do overnighters with freeze dried grub, but have borrowed them and found they do the job v well.

As for recommendations for general purpose stoves, there are so many variables that the right choice depends almost entirely on what you want to do.
 StuMsg 09 Sep 2013
In reply to CharlieMack:

I've never had a problem with my jetboil, think your unlucky.

LIGHTWEIGHT
http://www.sportsdirect.com/karrimor-x-lite-ti-stove-2012-787169
Super light, small, simmers well. Works well with this pot (think I got it for £20:

http://www.ultralightoutdoorgear.co.uk/equipment-c3/kitchen-stuff-c8/pots-a...

CONVINIENT
another jetboil or MSR Reactor (never used one but they look cool).

Stu
 IPPurewater 09 Sep 2013
In reply to CharlieMack: +1 for the Karrimor X-lite stove. It weighs 48g and works well.

You will need a partial wind break with it for it to be efficient. Aluminium foil baking trays from a pound shop are ideal for that.

Ian
 d_b 09 Sep 2013
In reply to StuMsg:

Looks nice. I have a primus thing that is v similar. I found that there is very little to choose between the ultra light gas stoves - when you are down in the tens of grams anyway then there's no point in getting anything too fancy.
 LucaC 09 Sep 2013
In reply to CharlieMack: Pocket rocket + msr titan was my choice.
 jayjackson 10 Sep 2013
In reply to LJC:
Yep, MSR Pocket Rocket and an old Trangia kettle does me very well.
Kettle just big enough for a MOD ration pack boil in the bag meal.
Henrycuillin 10 Sep 2013
In reply to CharlieMack: We have had the a jetboil for ages, it is great!
 The Lemming 10 Sep 2013
In reply to CharlieMack:

I can't recommend a stove but I can recommend one NOT to get which is a MSR Dragonfly.

I personally have one and it is well over 10 years old, but if I had to buy another I would not replace it with another Dragonfly.

Even though the stove is bombproof, it is high maintenance. Its almost as if after every trip, the stove needs striping down and cleaned before it can be put away for long periods of inactivity.

But the worst part of the stove is that it is very, Very loud. When it is fires up then you can forget about holding any kind of conversation unless you enjoy shouting.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...