UKC

LLanberis visit advice

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 THETWIG007 11 Sep 2013
Afternoon all, any tips / recommendations for places to visit? Will happily climb (sport) in the 5 grades
 GrahamD 11 Sep 2013
In reply to THETWIG007:

Snowdon Mountain Railway is very nice and there is a cafe on top.
OP THETWIG007 11 Sep 2013
In reply to GrahamD: Not really the advice I was looking for but thanks for the input!
 Owen W-G 11 Sep 2013
In reply to THETWIG007:

PLaces to visit: slate museum, pila palas, portmerion

If you are planning to climb bolted routes why are you visiting one of the essential British trad destinations? I'd either go elsewhere, take up trad/hill walking or do some touristy thing. You might find some easy bolted routes in the slate quarries or on Llandudno, but aiming for them kinda defeats the purpose of going climbing in Snowdonia.

J1234 11 Sep 2013
In reply to THETWIG007: The slate quarries are the place for you.
 And Climb 11 Sep 2013
In reply to THETWIG007: There's lots of sheep poo everywhere.
 Bulls Crack 11 Sep 2013
In reply to THETWIG007:

Slate is your only sport option. But there's a lifetimes worth of trad!
James Jackson 11 Sep 2013
In reply to THETWIG007:

It's full of the insular North Welsh. Best avoided.
Thanks for the info' all. Wish I hadn't of asked!
 sleavesley 11 Sep 2013
In reply to THETWIG007: like others have said - slate. You could get the A55 sports climbs book and bag some on the way or way back or Clywd limestone dependent on where you live.
 cfer 11 Sep 2013
In reply to THETWIG007: Go and do Snakes and Ladders, a great experience
 jack_44 11 Sep 2013
In reply to THETWIG007:

If your on facebook try a page called rising dragon club. A fair few people on their.
 Ramblin dave 11 Sep 2013
In reply to THETWIG007:
Slate is pretty good fun - it's an interesting and relatively unusual style of climbing, and a lot of it's reasonably sheltered and quick drying. I think if you put it in Dorset or the Dales or somewhere people would be a lot less sniffy about it - it just seems like a bit of a sideshow because it's a stone's throw from some of the best mountain trad in Britain.
In reply to Ramblin dave: Thanks Dave, I have the Llanberis Slate guide book (maybe should of said this), was looking for a little insight knowledge before I went?
In reply to THETWIG007: you'll find that the Sidings level in California is easily accessible from the Bus Stop Quarry parking, and is almost entirely well bolted routes in the 5's. some interesting harder routes thrown in too. Also handy for the level below which has some top routes in the 5/6 range.
 climber34neil 11 Sep 2013
In reply to THETWIG007: if you have transport you could go to castle inn quarry, should be plenty there to do, the obviousr route up the flow stone and tufa in the middle is a great route, just don't expect to much from the surroundings
 craigf 11 Sep 2013
In reply to THETWIG007:
> Afternoon all, any tips / recommendations for places to visit? Will happily climb (sport) in the 5 grades

If you are heading there for the slate, you should ask Tom he's been up and around that area a fair bit.
 kipper12 11 Sep 2013
In reply to craigf: go,visit V12, or google peppermint slab, 10 new routes, most f5 to f6a+, well worth a try too if you find you get on ok
 tallsteve 12 Sep 2013
In reply to THETWIG007:
> Thanks for the info' all. Wish I hadn't of asked!

Welcome to UKC, a heady mix of the interesting, insightful, irrelevant and irreverent!
 MikeSP 12 Sep 2013
In reply to THETWIG007:
Away from climbing:
Electric Mountain (Book early if the weather looks dodgy)
Peat's Eats (big portions and well priced)
The Heights (Nice pub, bit more expensive, recommend the Tryfan Burger)
Pizza and Pint place (forgotten the name) on the main road north

OP THETWIG007 12 Sep 2013
In reply to craigf: Thanks Craig and the others with the useful information. To the rest of you I really don't know why you waste the energy on typing dribble.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...