UKC

Where to Buy Sicily Climbing Guide, on Sicily.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Steve Perry 16 Sep 2013
We left Britain before our climbing guide to Sicily arrived, does anyone know the best place to get one? We're staying just outside Santa Vito Lo Capo. Any help appreciated, cheers.
 Heike 16 Sep 2013
In reply to Steve Perry:

http://www.cisalfasport.it/sport/outdoor/attrezzature-outdoor.html

In Palermo, they seem to have climbing gear, so might be a good bet?

Heike
 Andy Say 16 Sep 2013
In reply to Steve Perry:
Try the campsite below the crag.
 scott titt 16 Sep 2013
In reply to Steve Perry: At El Bahira camping reception or at the shop selling maps and tourist guides half way down the main street of San Vito on the right.
 Skyfall 16 Sep 2013
In reply to Steve Perry:

You can also get the local topo fold out map thing which is a bit awkward to use maybe as compared to the guide but quite up to date. We saw these in a good bookshop on one of the main streets.
OP Steve Perry 16 Sep 2013
In reply to Steve Perry: That's brilliant cheers everybody.
 earlsdonwhu 16 Sep 2013
In reply to Steve Perry: I am going in a few weeks. It would be good if you could post any suggestions about particular crags/routes/general observations/ restaurants when you return.

Have a good trip
Peter
OP Steve Perry 16 Sep 2013
In reply to earlsdonwhu: You can buy a 2012 guide book from the campsite mentioned earlier in the thread. I'll post when I get back, there are also quite a few threads regarding Sicily I checked before leaving well worth reading through.
 earlsdonwhu 16 Sep 2013
In reply to Steve Perry: I already got the guides to San Vito and the whole island but was just looking for any personal recommendations. There is so much to go at!
 Rich Kirby 16 Sep 2013
In reply to Steve Perry:

This is a better buy than the San Vito one. Similar cost but covers the whole Island.

http://www.up-climbing.com/en/books/guidebooks/di-roccia-di-sole---climbing...
OP Steve Perry 17 Sep 2013
In reply to Rich Kirby: That's the one I just got.
 Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 17 Sep 2013
In reply to Rich Kirby:

I bought them both and only used the one to San Vito - it is much more user-friendly then the one to the whole island. There is easily enough around there for a month or more. Also some of the stuff in the big book is 4+ hours drive from San Vito!

Chris
 jimtitt 17 Sep 2013
In reply to Steve Perry:
Like Chris says, for San Vito the Gebro guide is far better (and more accurate and up to date). Regrettably a lot of the other cliffs in Sicily don´t quite live up to expectations, a couple are positively vile in fact! But there´s enough to go at with either guide (or no guide at all for that matter!).
 Simon Caldwell 17 Sep 2013
In reply to jimtitt:
We went to one near Palermo, whose name escapes me. One very good route and a few scrappy ones, and everything undergraded.
We stuck to San Vito for the rest of the week
 jimtitt 18 Sep 2013
In reply to Toreador:
Get yourself down to Pagoda in Siracuse, sort of thing that makes you give up climbing!
 kingborris 18 Sep 2013
In reply to jimtitt:

Anything decent around Taormina?
 scott titt 18 Sep 2013
In reply to kingborris:
I've not been there but there is a lot in the guide which look good with lots of routes:- Molino, Castelmolo, Stockholm and Mazzaro. Stockholm featured in an old Climber article by Mikey Robertson
 Simon Caldwell 18 Sep 2013
In reply to jimtitt:
Just checked and Valdesi is the place we went. Clessidre was the really good route.
 SGD 18 Sep 2013
In reply to Toreador: We also visited Valdesi and found a worrying number of dirty needles in the one area so we ran away (pickies are on my profile)
 Simon Caldwell 18 Sep 2013
In reply to SGD:
It's certainly not somewhere I'll be hurrying back to

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...