UKC

waterproof trousers

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 richurc 18 Sep 2013
Anyone any idea of a brand / style of over trousers that have full zips & proper zip covering baffles? I know nothing is actually waterproof, but you know what I mean...

I have no luck with 'waterproof' aquaguard zips & 'rain drains' which are neither robust or waterproof (unless someone actually has found them to be so?

Preferably in some sort of very breathable fabric (Gortex Pro? Event?)

Cheers,
/r
In reply to richurc: ive always been happy with my Berghaus Paclite. Light, breathable, packs down to nothing, zips all the way to the hip so easy on/off.

Nice a bad cost either.
OP richurc 18 Sep 2013
In reply to TheDrunkenBakers: Thanks, I use Paclite for lightweight stuff but I need something more robust for all winter use, thrutching up mixed routes shreds paclite quite fast...

Any ideas? Its avoiding the silly zips thats got me stumped...
 d_b 18 Sep 2013
In reply to richurc:

If you don't mind me hijacking this thread a bit. Are there any waterproof trousers that give decent freedom of movement? All the ones I have ever had are a bit restrictive for just walking up steep hills, and you can forget about climbing!

What I want is the cut of something like a troll omni or montane trousers, but in goretex.
 GarethSL 18 Sep 2013
In reply to richurc:

The old Mammut Nuptse had full storm flaps.
Klattemusen Freke has.
Most things in a surplus shop do (Austrian or German gore-tex troos have baffles).

I have never had zips on trousers leak, but anything with RIRI zips will be very watertight (I think Crux, ME and possibly Berghaus are doing these now), silicone coated YKK simplex zips have hoofing great big holes between the coils.
OP richurc 18 Sep 2013
In reply to davidbeynon:

Sure I'll trade for info on properly sipped & baffled gortex pro - what'a ya got?

/r
 GarethSL 18 Sep 2013
In reply to davidbeynon: Beta AR troos in the *right* size. Trim fit, unbelievable articulation and pretty bomber. Nothing else comes close.
OP richurc 18 Sep 2013
In reply to GrendeI:

Hi,

RiRi zips are still "water resistant and I've found non to be as simple and straightforward as proper strong (but holey) zip and a proper full velcro baffle.

The reason no-one makes them like this any more is that the manufacturing process (complex machine sewing to create the baffle) is much easier & quicker with the new zip types saves money in costs and they carry on charging the same for a cheapening product...

So I need some baffled trousers anyone still make them?

/r
OP richurc 18 Sep 2013
In reply to GrendeI:

Still silly zips... sorry mate, any other ideas?
/r
OP richurc 18 Sep 2013
In reply to GrendeI:

Wow amazing! They are seriously engineered - I think I'd die for heat exhaustion! But I can always dream...

I was thinking of old style Lowe/Marmot/ME/ even NthFace top of the range stuff which I'm just running out of...

/r
 Gazlynn 18 Sep 2013
In reply to richurc:

Here is the latest offering from Arcteryx

youtube.com/watch?v=TucdUAVJlbg&

Sure they will fit the bill 600 euros !!! though

cheers

Gaz
 d_b 18 Sep 2013
In reply to GrendeI:

Thanks. I will look them up.
OP richurc 18 Sep 2013
In reply to Gazlynn:

Ouch and again silly zips - not willing to actually make a proper storm baffle...
/r
 GarethSL 18 Sep 2013
OP richurc 18 Sep 2013
In reply to GrendeI:

Nice shot - is that a butt in your crutch [phnaar]...
 martinph78 18 Sep 2013
In reply to richurc: I highly recommend these:

http://www.craigdonmountainsports.com/montane-m-event-venture-pants

Properly storm proof, and I mean a full days worth of driving rain. Zips haven't let a drop of rain in anywhere. I also climb in them and don't find them restrictive. Tough as well. I wear them as a winter trouser with ronhills underneath.
 andrewmc 18 Sep 2013
In reply to richurc:

My sub-£40 Berghaus waterproof trousers have normal zips and storm flaps with poppers...
 Becky E 18 Sep 2013
In reply to richurc:
https://www.decathlon.co.uk/forclaz-300-rain-trousers-id_8210235.html Full lenth zip, reasonable price, quite heavy.
 LucaC 18 Sep 2013
In reply to richurc: I got some half price patagonia super alpine salopettes from the Outside christmas sale, and so far have been very impressed with them. No baffles on the zips, but they have stood up to driving rain. Made of the old pro shell, certainly seems durable - kicked with crampons and ski edges, and dragged over rock, and no real marks or tears.

I would stay away from event for full on winter use - I have a pair of rab latok waterproof trousers, or to use their accurate name, rab latok trousers. Totally not durable or waterproof enough. Picked up loads of tears from relatively minor scratches, and the inside lining has been totally shredded from abrasion on boots. Thighs wet through from legs constantly touching when walking/stepping up. They don't even seem to breath particularly well.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...