UKC

health & Safety - school bans cycling to increase staff parking

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 FrankBooth 18 Sep 2013
You never know how balanced an article will be on a cycling website, but on the face of it, this sounds like a very unwise decision poorly disguised as a H&S issue.
Basically, a primary school in South Wales is removing it's bicycle shed (and dissuading pupils from riding into the school yard) in order to make way for more staff parking...
"Ensuring the safety and wellbeing of our pupils remains our utmost priority" commented the head.

http://road.cc/content/news/94176-primary-school-claims-health-and-safety-p...
 dale1968 18 Sep 2013
In reply to FrankBooth: what about the adult on his mobile whilst riding, deserves £60 and three penalty points
 Scomuir 18 Sep 2013
In reply to dale1968:

Whereas I don't condone speaking on a mobile phone, I would guess that rule would only apply if they were riding on a road?
 dale1968 18 Sep 2013
In reply to Scomuir: Think that if it's a public place(even a private road) you can still be charged with motoring offenses
 Chris the Tall 18 Sep 2013
In reply to dale1968:
Great bit of hijacking - ignore the topic and make an irrelevant point about a stock photo !
 Martin W 18 Sep 2013
In reply to dale1968:
> (In reply to FrankBooth) what about the adult on his mobile whilst riding, deserves £60 and three penalty points

1) There is no specific offence of using a mobile phone while riding a bike, unlike there is with a motor vehicle. The cyclist could be prosecuted for careless or inconsiderate riding. The police would have to satisfy the court that the accused was not riding with the degree of care to be expected of a reasonable and competent cyclist. The maximum fine is £1,000.

2) You can't be given penalty points for a traffic offence committed on a bike - all the offences which can attract points are specifically defined as involving use of a motor vehicle. However, you can be disqualified from driving if convicted of causing bodily harm by "wanton or furious" cycling, or racing, or by wilful misconduct or wilful neglect on a bicycle. (In fact, the courts have a general power to disqualify from driving anyone convicted of any offence, whether or not it involves a motor vehicle, although they do need a “sufficient reason” for the disqualification.)

You can get points simply for "going equipped to steal a motor vehicle", and it is perfectly possible to be apprehended for this offence while cycling. Equally, though, you could be walking, riding a horse, on a bus, a skateboard or a pogo stick - your mode of "going" is irrelevant so it's not really an exception to the above general rule.
 dale1968 18 Sep 2013
In reply to Martin W: Yeah, just getting into this UKC thing of pedantry, I am new to this so bear with me
 ByEek 19 Sep 2013
In reply to FrankBooth: Agreed. Pretty sad. The thing that gets my goat isn't the fact that they have decided to ban bikes on site, but they have used the lousy excuse of "health and safety" as their reasons for doing it.

Why not just be straight and say they haven't room for a bike shed and need it for staff parking?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...