UKC

Riglos - should i be worried about the fixed gear

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 misterb 18 Sep 2013
In reply to misterb: We didn't climb the Puro but the bolts that were there on the routes we did were either pretty new or not that old and looked to be well placed. you'll have to make your own judgements on what's there. I didn't think it was that bad.
 andyinglis 18 Sep 2013
In reply to misterb: had 4 days at riglos last year and i dont recall a single dodgy bolt.

Andy
 Cheese Monkey 18 Sep 2013
In reply to misterb: Lol that peg looks like its been hammered into mud
 Justin T 18 Sep 2013
In reply to misterb:

Looks bomber to me. You're going first though, just to check like...
OP misterb 18 Sep 2013
In reply to Justin T:
Ha ha, thought so , looking forward to swinging off the one that doesn't look attached!!
Thanks for the reassuring comments on good bolts everyone
cheers
nick
andyathome 18 Sep 2013
In reply to misterb:

Always take a critical look at fixed gear. Always.
 TonyM 18 Sep 2013
In reply to misterb:

I must have abbed off the gear in that photo last October when we were on top of the Puro. I'm an easily scared, middle-aged, family man, and didn't have any concerns whatsoever in abbing off any of the fixed gear that we found in Riglos.

What the photo doesn't shows is what the rest of that big wire cable is threaded through. I'm pretty sure it is some substantial bolts that you actual use to ab off. This cluster is, I think, just a sort of makeshift handrail for the very cautious from the very top of the Puro guiding you a couple of metres down to the ab runway/station. All good sense really since you want a clean vertical descent that will return the ropes without pulling any loose crud down on your head.

It's not the gear you need to worry about on El Puro, but other climbers. We were the first party up that day, with about six parties behind. We dislodged not a pebble during the abs, but on the descent saw clumsy oafs knocking some pretty large rocks off and nearly wiping out spectators on the track below...

Tony
 jazzyjackson 19 Sep 2013
In reply to TonyM:
> (In reply to misterb)
>
>
> It's not the gear you need to worry about on El Puro, but other climbers. We were the first party up that day, with about six parties behind. We dislodged not a pebble during the abs, but on the descent saw clumsy oafs knocking some pretty large rocks off and nearly wiping out spectators on the track below...
>
> Tony

very good tip! Seen the same in Chorro. Must be one of the most dangerous aspects of busy cragging! Need eyes in the top of your head. Dont hang about having picnics below big faces ( note to self )
JJ
OP misterb 20 Sep 2013
In reply to misterb:
I'M Happier that the wire is attached to something other than those dodgy pegs
cheers
nick

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...