UKC

New outdoor gear review blog - natural shape boots

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 ciaran1999 18 Sep 2013
Hi Everyone,

I've started a new blog reviewing general outdoor gear, with the first post being based on natural shape walking boots. It's my first time writing a blog and i'm not very technologically gifted, so all comments and tips are appreciated.

Thanks,

Ciarán
 Muel 18 Sep 2013
In reply to ciaran1999:
Please change the font to something actually readable, whatever that is is awful.
OP ciaran1999 18 Sep 2013
In reply to Muel:

I will do, i wasnt sure about it to be fair. Thanks
 BnB 19 Sep 2013
In reply to ciaran1999: I'm afraid you need to learn how to use an apostrophe if you want to be taken seriously.

Not trying to give you a hard time. You did ask for honest comments.
 Denni 19 Sep 2013
In reply to ciaran1999:

Hi there,
looks like a good idea and basic layput which is always good however, that's me blind for the rest of the morning with the font! ;0)
Keep up the good work :0)
In reply to ciaran1999:

Hey there. I'm also just beginning a new blog, so good luck with yours! Anyhow, just thought I'd mention that your photographs look quite underexposed, (too dark), and unrealistic looking. Perhaps change your white balance, up your ISO, or use a flash!

My blog is at the following address if you'd like a peek?:

http://ruinapartum.wordpress.com/
 GarethSL 19 Sep 2013
In reply to ciaran1999:

As others have said, pease change the font to something nice, Ebrima is a favourite of mine, it's readable and looks professional (It's also the default font for our maps and diagrams).

I hate pages with tiled pictures, it looks shit. Set a plain and simple background and fill your blog text with larger and good quality/ semi artistic pictures. Use these to highlight what you say in the text.

Try to be inventive in your posts, there are uncountable gear review pages around, so before writing cross check and compare to see other peoples opinions on the gear. Find out their likes dislikes. That way you can agree and disagree at will, which will keep your blog fresh and less biased. Although that is A LOT of work.

If you plan to eventually add some videos, there is nothing worse than the 'review' videos which show some dope, opening a piece of kit from a box and talking endlessly about its features without actually using it. If I wanted to know a products features I will consult the manufacturers website, not some beer gut ridden divorcee living in the blogosphere. I want to know what works, what breaks, what hurts, what's comfortable, how easy is it to clean and maintain and any recommendations for improvements that one can do themselves.

OP ciaran1999 19 Sep 2013
In reply to ciaran1999:

Hi,

Just a quick reply while i'm at work. Thanks to everyone for advice and criticisms. I'll have another go at the font, and sort out my punctuation. The pictures are bad I know. I wanted to add some proper 'in use' pictures but didn't have any to hand. Will have a dig through my pictures and get them changed.

Thanks again for input, especially Grendel.

Ciarán
In reply to ciaran1999:

And good work on the blog SidharthaDongre, I like the use of big visible pictures and is well written. Cheers for advice.

Ciarán
In reply to ciaran1999:

Hi Ciaran, thanks and keep it up! I also intend to submit pictures of gear in use at some point, though being the one behind the camera isn't most conducive to this! I must convince my gf to take her camera more often.
In reply to ciaran1999:

Blog has been updated. Anymore hints and tips are welcome, otherwise please enjoy!

Ciarán
 Damo 20 Sep 2013
In reply to GrendeI:
> (In reply to ciaran1999)
>
> ... not some beer gut ridden divorcee living in the blogosphere.

Excellent!

Ciaran, good on your for having a go and asking for feedback on here. I wish I'd seen the allegedly abysmal original now! I like your blue background and the font is OK.

OK? Yeh, I guess that's it. It just seems a bit bog-standard boring - basic text and a few standard, non-use pics. As others have said, there are plenty of review sites around now and, while you put up whatever you want for your own enjoyment, if you actually want a large number of others out there in the internets to like it and value it then you need to add a bit more originality and interest. Your dad might have used the word 'pizazz'.

Not useless fancy stuff to look nice, but original and active stuff to show you've used it and what it was like and how it is in real life - different pics, links to other things, some video (no beer guts).

Break up the blocks of text more, don't make us read A WHOLE PARAGRAPH OF MULTIPLE SENTENCES IN ONE GO! We just can't do that these days. It's a visual medium, don't try and makes us think too much.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...