UKC

Alien life found! Sheffield University claims

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 CurlyStevo 19 Sep 2013
In reply to rubbercrumb:
well it's hardly proof is it, what they need to do is actually find life somewhere in space where it couldn't have come from earth.

A second best would be proving that some life can live in space for extended periods but it still wouldn't prove it was alien, it could have originated on earth still.
 Billhook 19 Sep 2013
In reply to rubbercrumb:
The first couple of sentences contain all you want to know. "could"

That said we see aliens walk down into the village every day. So fat & gross I don't believe they can have come from this planet.
mgco3 19 Sep 2013
In reply to rubbercrumb:

If there is intelligent life found in Sheffield it MUST have come from somewhere else,,

(sorry sue couldn't resist it)

<coat on , exits quickly>
 Simon Caldwell 19 Sep 2013
In reply to rubbercrumb:
The Journal of Cosmology isn't exactly a well respected publication.
 Timmd 19 Sep 2013
In reply to Toreador:
> (In reply to rubbercrumb)
> The Journal of Cosmology isn't exactly a well respected publication.

What do you have to say about the scientific theory and method mentioned in the article?
In reply to rubbercrumb: Wow, thanks for posting that, I've been convinced of that for a long time, great to finally see something approaching evidence.
 Coel Hellier 19 Sep 2013
In reply to Timmd:

> What do you have to say about the scientific theory and method mentioned in the article?

There's far too little information in the article to judge. In such an experiment everything depends on the controlling of contamination, and there is very little about that. Also, the discussion of whether earthly life can get high in the stratosphere is totally inadequate.

Note, also, that the "Journal of Cosmology" is a joke/crank publication that no-one takes seriously, and that the authors include Chandra Wickramasinghe, who went off the deep end long ago.
 gethin_allen 19 Sep 2013
In reply to rubbercrumb:
I knew who wrote that article before I'd even opened the thread. My first thought about it was "I can't believe they gave Milton a chair". He was always going on about such things in the coffee room, he even lectured on it when I was an undergrad.
 muppetfilter 19 Sep 2013
In reply to Toreador:

> The Journal of Cosmology isn't exactly a well respected publication.

You should have heard Sky News report on it... "They have found, Stuff. This Stuff is really important.."
 Kid Spatula 19 Sep 2013
In reply to rubbercrumb:

Milton Wainwright is also notoriously mental used to do all kind of crazy experiments involving bacteria and microphones.
In reply to Kid Spatula: Any links about his mentalness? I was trying to read up on him last night but couldn't find anything particularly damning...
 Doug 20 Sep 2013
In reply to willworkforfoodjnr: I went to a couple of meetings when I was a postgrad where Milton spoke - clearly had some pretty odd ideas even then (mid 1980s).
 wbo 20 Sep 2013
In reply to shaun l: 'I've been convinced of that for a long time, great to finally see something approaching evidence' -isn't that supposed to be the other way round?
 Simon Caldwell 20 Sep 2013
In reply to Timmd:
http://tinyurl.com/q5d4g7h

(UKC won't let me post the actual URL as it's too long)
 Simon Caldwell 20 Sep 2013
In reply to Timmd:
http://tinyurl.com/q5d4g7h

(UKC won't let me post the actual URL as it's too long)
 d_b 20 Sep 2013
In reply to rubbercrumb:

Isn't this the guy who claims to find alien life in meteorites every couple of years?
 andrewmc 21 Sep 2013
In reply to rubbercrumb:

I call bullshit.

Plus if they found a diatom that pretty much proves terrestrial contamination?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...