UKC

Best Ben Conditions?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 mmmhumous 20 Sep 2013
I'm organising a trip up north after Christmas. When's my safest bet for decent conditions on and around the Ben? I was guessing at the middle of Feb.
 xplorer 20 Sep 2013
In reply to mmmhumous:

This comes up every year.....

The only real answer anyone can give is, I don't know?

You could find out all the averages of temps and conditions on the Ben for the last ten years, go on that day, and end up with rain.

But you already knew that
 CurlyStevo 20 Sep 2013
In reply to mmmhumous:
What grade and style of climbing are you after?

For hard mixed the best time is probably early season.

For mostly likely chance of getting anything done the best bet is mid February.

For stellar ice / neve conditions the best bet is probably mid march.
 CurlyStevo 20 Sep 2013
In reply to mmmhumous:
Ofcource the best bet is to leave a number of time slots open and decide nearer the time which one to take based on the actual conditions. This may cost more in travel arrangements but its money well spent IMO.
OP mmmhumous 20 Sep 2013
In reply to mmmhumous:

Thanks all, I'll be doing several trips up north and to wales, but need to get the longer 10 day drip booked ahead of time. Just trying to stack the odds in our favour. Most of us will be climbing in the II-IV range. I guess I already knew the answer really.

Cheers
 CurlyStevo 20 Sep 2013
In reply to mmmhumous:
"Just trying to stack the odds in our favour"

Have you considered cogne ?
 mp3ferret 20 Sep 2013
In reply to mmmhumous: As mentioned above - best bet is to give yourself a few options, watch the mwis news and http://www.visit-fortwilliam.co.uk/the-ben-nevis-webcam-fort-william-scotla... alsways helps
OP mmmhumous 20 Sep 2013
In reply to CurlyStevo:
> (In reply to mmmhumous)

> Have you considered cogne ?

We we're meant to be going to Rjukan, but folk are a bit skint, so we'll have to play in the UK this winter.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...