UKC

Honeymoon destination for climbing couple - August

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Joyce 22 Sep 2013
Hi,

We are looking for a honeymoon destination for next year. We are both climbers and will be needing some climbing to be doing in betweem, ahem, being newly weds. Bouldering, sport, trad and easy mountaineering is all a go.

As we plan to spend the rest of our summers for the foreseeable future in the Alps we have decided to rule that out and go for somewhere a little more exotic. We were thinking possibly Thailand or somewhere in Eastern Europe - but totally open to suggestions.

Bonuses would be mountain biking (for him), pretty beaches/lakes (for me), good running and good food for both of us..... so we're not asking much!

Any ideas?

Joyce and Rose
 Andes 22 Sep 2013
In reply to Joyce:
Rio de Janeiro
 Alun 22 Sep 2013
In reply to Andes:
>Rio de Janeiro

Seconded.
 Morgan Woods 22 Sep 2013
In reply to Joyce:

Sardinia
 Ramblin dave 22 Sep 2013
In reply to Morgan Woods:
Normally I'd agree wholeheartedly, but not in August!
Removed User 23 Sep 2013
In reply to Joyce:

August might be a bit warm - but Paklenica in Croatia is spectacular, some biking options and you can stay on the Dalmatian Coast. Cheap too so you can extend your stay!

Australia - up north, it's the Dry Season: go to Frog Buttress & the Glasshouse Mountains near Brisbane. Take a quick trip to the Great Barrier Reef & smile lots.
Go home via Thailand?
 Tom Briggs 23 Sep 2013
In reply to Joyce:

South Africa & Mozambique combo
 ali_mac 23 Sep 2013
In reply to Joyce: I managed to take the ropes on our honeymoon to Sicily. The crags are real close to the shore, so once the heat has risen or the shade has gone, we simply reverted to four courses of gelato on the beach! lovely.
 iccle_bully 23 Sep 2013
In reply to ali_mac:

Rocklands, amazing bouldering at all grades, amazing scenery, people and food, cheap once you're there, we saw plenty of cars with bikes on them, lots of trails for running, I can't recommend the place highly enough. Cape town and safaris (allbeit on private game reserves but still brilliant)all close by. The sun is hot when it is out but it is winter in August, on the plus side, makes for great climbing conditions!
 Darron 23 Sep 2013
In reply to Joyce:

Lovers Leap, Lake Tahoe, California.
 nniff 23 Sep 2013
In reply to Joyce:

Lake Louise? Moutains, crags, a Lake (no sh.. Sherlock!), bikes and as flash a hotel as you might want. Alternatively some of the accommodation is really cheap in the summer.
 Ramblin dave 23 Sep 2013
In reply to Joyce:
Norway / Lofoten?
 Franco Cookson 23 Sep 2013
In reply to Joyce:

Moors?
 Lukem6 23 Sep 2013
In reply to Joyce: sardinia, check out cala luna, in august. Belaying on the beach. Me and my wife went to sardinia and corsica on our honey moon
 Ramblin dave 23 Sep 2013
In reply to Lukem6:
Have you climbed there in August? We went out in late June for family related reasons and found it was already getting too hot to climb comfortably for a lot of the day. Also, the impression I've got from people who live out there is that August is peak tourist season, and that places like Cala Gonone get a bit grim and overcrowded.

It's a wonderful place, and I'd encourage everyone to go out there, just not necessarily in high summer!
 Lukem6 23 Sep 2013
In reply to Ramblin dave: we married on september 16th and honeymooned for two weeks after.

It was fine morning and evening. Don't be british about it. Dip in the sea between 12 and 2. it wasn't over crowded while we was there but it could be because we was a few weeks later.
 Cake 23 Sep 2013
In reply to Ramblin dave: I was thinking Norway too. If it gets rainy, there's always, ahem, amusement in your cabin
 Peter Herold 26 Sep 2013
"Normally I'd agree wholeheartedly (about Sardinia), but not in August!"
Most people don't realise Sardinia is bigger than Wales and has higher mountains. If you know where to go August is fine. We climb and bike really well in Sardinia in August and have many friends and guests who come on holiday every year in August precisely to do these activities...they can only take holidays in August. You go up to 800-1000 m amsl and it's fine. AND of course all the Italians. Video of climbing in August youtube.com/watch?v=eEAs6Se7Gas& (in Italian), for the last few Augusts we have climbed at Genna Croce, brilliant! and lots of new routes were bolted this summer at Ulassai's Canyon and Cascata Lecorci, both very popular in summer. See also http://www.sardiniaclimb.com/NuovoscEng/FAQ/meteo/meteo.html although these answers are from 6 years or so ago and don't reflect most recent developments.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...