UKC

NEWS: Routes Affected at Porth-Clais, Pembrokeshire

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC News 23 Sep 2013
New scree slope at Porthclais, 3 kbThe National Trust have recently removed a huge amount of unstable rock at the popular crag of Porth-Clais in north Pembrokeshire, Wales, temporarily leaving an unstable scree slope.

The slope will wash out naturally over the next few weeks, but until the slope has stabilised climbers are...

Read more at http://www.ukclimbing.com/news/item.php?id=68363
 ebdon 23 Sep 2013
In reply to UKC News: bloody hell that looks huge - out of curiosity anyone know how the NT did it?
 The Pylon King 24 Sep 2013
In reply to ebdon:
> (In reply to UKC News) bloody hell that looks huge - out of curiosity anyone know how the NT did it?

A Hammer
 bluerockman 24 Sep 2013
In reply to UKC News: firing champagne corks at it...?
 Howard J 24 Sep 2013
In reply to UKC News: That's made the new guidebook out of date then
 SGD 24 Sep 2013
In reply to UKC News: Wow.....I remember climbing there a couple of years ago and I don't remember that slope looking that dodgy.
 ChrisJD 24 Sep 2013
In reply to UKC News:

They didn't remove it - they just knocked it down the cliff a bit

I wonder if they expected that much to go...
 Marq 24 Sep 2013
In reply to UKC News:
Climbed here back in May and the overhanging roof of choss here looked very unstable from below but a nice path from the top! I imagine it wouldn't have taken them much effort to cause it to come down.
Once washed out it might actually make the routes in this little cut out seem far more appealing.
Marq
 Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 24 Sep 2013
In reply to ChrisJD:
I noticed when we were there, the cliff top path went over a rather unstable looking natural arch at that point, I assume they removed the arch and the side walls have collapsed too,

Chris
 Jamie B 24 Sep 2013
In reply to UKC News:

Hope it does all wash out; Inset looks like a nice route out of commission and Dreamboat Annie will alter in character if it retains rubble below it. Can somebody local take some pictures of the progress of the slope?
 8ace 24 Sep 2013
In reply to UKC News:

Yeah, that arch has looked dodgy for a while.

Impressive amount of rock to wash out in a few weeks, though. Someone should do a time-lapse.
 robthered 24 Sep 2013
Saw the start of this (before the NT nuked it) a couple of weeks ago. Had previously soloed the overhang to the left of it...
 Dave Garnett 24 Sep 2013
In reply to Chris Craggs:

I hope they applied for planning permission from Al Evans.
 cwarby 24 Sep 2013
In reply to UKC News: How many times do I have to say "Don't put the Hilti on hammer action!"
 Chris the Tall 24 Sep 2013
 Al Evans 25 Sep 2013
In reply to Dave Garnett:
> (In reply to Chris Craggs)
>
> I hope they applied for planning permission from Al Evans.

Lol, I'm glad to see that Dreamboat Annie seems unaffected
 Chris the Tall 25 Sep 2013
In reply to Al Evans:
I have great memories of climbing that route with a rapidly incoming tide - another guy was trying it but backed off and I didn't have much time. My second, always a bit nervous at the best of times, thought he was going to going to get stranded.
 Dan Moore 06 Oct 2013
Dry start to Dreamboat Annie! Nice. I climbed this route over the swell last year, an awesome line but bad pro on the start. Wouldn't be bad if some of the rubble settled at the bottom.
 matt.woodfield 27 Nov 2013
In reply to UKC News:

Was there yesterday, there is now no scree slope, just lots of rock under the water, looks very tidy.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...