UKC

Gritstone - How bad are the midgies right now?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 CurlyStevo 25 Sep 2013
I'm guessing they are still pretty awful as there hasn't been a frost, but can anyone local who's been out recently comment?

Thinking of going to the Eastern edges this weekend and the weather forecast is Easterly and of course nearly all the crags face west so will be sheltered!

As a subpoint which crags are best to get away from the mdigies for an Easterly wind? (I'd be prepared to go Eastern or Western Peak)
 Andypeak 25 Sep 2013
In reply to CurlyStevo: was at popular end of stanage yesterday and it was hot and still but very few midges.
OP CurlyStevo 25 Sep 2013
In reply to andy.smythe:
were you out around dawn / dusk?
 The Reaper 25 Sep 2013
In reply to CurlyStevo: Burbage N on a still and muggy evening yesterday was fine in shorts and T shirt.
In reply to The Reaper:
great thanks
 Bulls Crack 25 Sep 2013
In reply to CurlyStevo:

bit late in the year for them now. none at Millstone on Sunday in slightly humid conditions.
 n-stacey 25 Sep 2013
In reply to CurlyStevo: The midgets?
 Simon Caldwell 25 Sep 2013
In reply to Bulls Crack:
This time last year we were eaten alive at Burbage North and fled after a couple of routes. This year doesn't seem to have been as bad though.
In reply to n-stacey:
> (In reply to CurlyStevo) The midgets?

erm, no the really tall people :-/

In reply to Toreador:
Certainly in Scotland I found that the midgies can often still be pretty bad in september, often until the first frosts arrive.
 EarlyBird 25 Sep 2013
In reply to CurlyStevo:

Really bad at Windgather last night.
 DerwentDiluted 25 Sep 2013
In reply to CurlyStevo:
Lots at stanage end last night but none at millstone.
 LakesWinter 25 Sep 2013
In reply to CurlyStevo: None at over owler tor last night, despite there being no wind and it being warm and humid. The crap conditions were another matter....
 jimjimjim 25 Sep 2013
In reply to CurlyStevo: another midges thread....I don't get it. There are millons and they will eat you alive. Stay home and do not go climbing whatever you do.
In reply to jimjimjim:
well from my perspective I generally don't climb on grit if I think its going to be midgie, its over 200 miles from where I live and there are so many other places to go with little or no midges. I guess what with you being local you just grin and bare it but I prefer not to.
 Simon Caldwell 26 Sep 2013
In reply to CurlyStevo:
If you get there and it's midgy, just decamp to the nearest limestone crag instead, where you can happily get bitten by mosquitoes instead (but at least they don't start to itch until the next day).
 jimjimjim 26 Sep 2013
In reply to CurlyStevo: In all the years I've been climbing I've been midged off a crag one. That was at chatsworth, in 20 minutes we were climbing at stony. What im saying is just because someone said it was midgy somewhere at some point it should not effect your plans if you want to make the trip. That's one of the beauties of the peak, you're never far away from another crag.
OP CurlyStevo 26 Sep 2013
In reply to jimjimjim:
thanks for the advice but I've been climbing all over the UK quite long enough to make my own mind up about acceptable midge numbers. I've been chased off grit crags on many more than one occasion and had plenty of other grit trips that would have been a lot more enjoyable going elsewhere because of the wee beasties.
 jimjimjim 26 Sep 2013
In reply to CurlyStevo:
> (In reply to jimjimjim)
> thanks for the advice but I've been climbing all over the UK quite long enough to make my own mind up about acceptable midge numbers.

So why are you asking?

OP CurlyStevo 26 Sep 2013
In reply to jimjimjim:
So I can make my own mind up based on the experiences of people that have recently climbed on grit (regarding midge numbers), if I want to go to the Peak district to climb on grit this weekend.

What I don't need is people telling me that however bad the midgies are its worth going up to the peak district, I'm quite capable of making that decision for myself ta.
In reply to CurlyStevo:

>you just grin and bare it

A most unwise method.

jcm
 Jon Stewart 26 Sep 2013
In reply to CurlyStevo:

Burbage tonight: warm, still...and midgy.

Not as in August levels, but they pissed me off and I left the crag early.
Paul F 26 Sep 2013
In reply to Jon Stewart:

Was just leaving Burbage at 5ish when they started emerging. Otherwise, fantastic conditions at North all day.
 Jon Stewart 26 Sep 2013
In reply to johncoxmysteriously:
> (In reply to CurlyStevo)
>
> >you just grin and bare it
>
> A most unwise method.

Haha. Took me a while...
 jimjimjim 26 Sep 2013
In reply to CurlyStevo: well fyi. I was there today and last saterday and sunday at stanage and b north and there were some midges when I went to the pub...but I got over it.
 jimjimjim 26 Sep 2013
In reply to jimjimjim: *Saturday
OP CurlyStevo 27 Sep 2013
In reply to jimjimjim:
cheers,
Looks like we are going up, I'll pack the midge net and repellent but sounds like there is a good chance I won't need either on the eastern edges.
 jimjimjim 27 Sep 2013
In reply to CurlyStevo: I really hope you don't get midge out now! Have a good trip.
OP CurlyStevo 27 Sep 2013
In reply to jimjimjim:
I'm sure you'll be happily leading some E3 next to me as I rush up my VS and then run off the crag chased by a solitary midge
 alasdair19 28 Sep 2013
In reply to CurlyStevo: mtfu and go to stoney... cause it drains so no stagnant water

if your used to scottish midges then the peak rarely competes. evenings at stanage is the only time I've had an issue.

winds swirl so if there is any blow you'll be fine I think your over analysing

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...