UKC

Strava segments

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 existing debt 29 Sep 2013
At what point do segments become annoying....

I live and cycle around Tavistock, 40/50 mile ride I will get maybe 15/20 segments

Just checked a ride that a London mate has been on ,30 odd miles...140 segments!!

Surely this amount of segments de-values the kudos of a top 10 segment placing.....

I love Strava, but in the not so far away future, having segments/koms will be pointless as they will mean nothing....

Btw, i think. A road bike segment is only worthy of kudos if it's over 3 minutes.

I think there needs to be different levels of strava

Happy to pay premium for an elitist strava.....where some-how segements are monitored and not duplicated.

PT
 Dan Lane 29 Sep 2013
In reply to existing debt:

the never-ending duplication does annoy me, but i don't mind having lots of segments, providing that they are actually different!
 Strachan 29 Sep 2013
In reply to existing debt:
I'm pretty new to Strava, and love it so far. Got my first KOM this week etc. There is a hill I do every ride though, that is not a segment on strava, which is really annoying! I do think the number of segments in my area is about right though... loads more would devalue them a bit.
 Enty 29 Sep 2013
In reply to Strachan:
> (In reply to existing debt)
> There is a hill I do every ride though, that is not a segment on strava, which is really annoying!

You do know that you can make it into a segment?

E
 TobyA 29 Sep 2013
In reply to Enty: I road up a local ski/mtb dh hill today on my CX bike. When I got home I noticed it is a strava segment, but no one else has ridden it, only me so I'm currently KOM! A bit weird, because I didn't make it a segment and I guess no one else has because I'm the only person to have done it. http://www.strava.com/segments/5635917

Has anyone else noticed that if you climb a steep enough hill or something that Strava automatically makes a segment out of it?

Will be pretty easy for someone to beat my time because it seems to include the time I sat on the wooden ramp that they start ski races off eating a mars bar and admiring the view!
 mbh 29 Sep 2013
In reply to TobyA:

Yes, that has happened to me a couple of times, and left me feeling like very easy pickings for anyone who cares to join me on my leaderboard of 1.
 ChrisJD 29 Sep 2013
In reply to TobyA:

> Has anyone else noticed that if you climb a steep enough hill or something that Strava automatically makes a segment out of it?

Yes it can. Strava created two segments on a ride I did in Ireland a few years back and one in the Verdon area. Still have the KOMs...

TobyA 29 Sep 2013
In reply to ChrisJD: Interesting.

It's a "cat 4" climb. Can anyone explain how cycling climb categories work?
 ChrisJD 29 Sep 2013
In reply to TobyA:

From Strava site:

"To decide the category of a climb we multiply the length of the climb (in meters) with the grade of the climb in percent. If that number is greater than 8000 then it is a categorized climb. The minimum percent grade must be 3% or higher. So, for a 4% avg grade climb, it has to be 2km at least to be categorized. Cat 3 = 16000, 2 = 32000, 1 = 64000, HC > 80000. "

"Strava segments are automatically categorized as a climb if the data fits our criteria. The categories are 1-4, with HC being above a category 1 climb, and HC being the hardest category of all. Strava segments can be generated two ways - as a user, you can create a segment from any data on the site. If the the data you choose for a segment fits into a categorized climb, you'll see a red icon on the finished segment with either the number 1-4, or HC. If you are the riding new territory where no Strava data has previously been recorded, Strava will auto-detect and auto-create categorized climbing segments for you. "
 Strachan 29 Sep 2013
In reply to Enty:
I do... but I don't know how. Any help would be great!
 Enty 30 Sep 2013
In reply to Strachan:

Click on the ride which contains the stretch of road which you want to make into a segment.
Underneath the profile of the ride there should be a blue button which says "Create new segment" click this.
Then move the green dot to the start of the new segment and the red dot to the end of the segement using the sliding bar. (Tip - zoom all the way in to the map for more accuracy)
Click next then create segment.

E
 Strachan 30 Sep 2013
In reply to Enty:

Amazing, thankyou
 TobyA 30 Sep 2013
In reply to ChrisJD: cheers Chris, I hadn't dug around in the site enough to find that.
 ChrisJD 30 Sep 2013
In reply to Enty:

> Tip - zoom all the way in to the map for more accuracy

Even Topper Tip: switch to Aerial Map View to be able to really zoom right in.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...