UKC

Cheaper mudguards and puncture-proof set-up for road bike

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 martinph78 02 Oct 2013
Hi all,

I'm after some mudguards for my bike, but there isn't room under the brakes for one.

I've found these: http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/sks-raceblade-long-mudguards/rp-prod8299...

which look like they will do the job. They are very expensive though. I need something similar but they don't need to be removable, so happy for proper bolt-on guards if needed.

Also, I need tyres. Going to be using the bike for the commute and to cut down general use of the car. Mostly tarmac but some of it quite broken/farm tracks and through town. I am looking at the Schwalbe Marathon 700x25c. Do you think it's worth getting slime tubes as well? I know it will be a heavy set-up but as I say, reliability is key. Or do slime tubes and cheaper tyres work just as well?

Cheers, Martin
 TobyA 02 Oct 2013
In reply to Martin1978:
> Mostly tarmac but some of it quite broken/farm tracks and through town. I am looking at the Schwalbe Marathon 700x25c. Do you think it's worth getting slime tubes as well?

There are lots of different models of Marathons. From about 10,000 kms on one pair of Marathon Plus, I'd say with those in particular, no - you don't need any funny inner tubes as well. The tires are heavy and expensive but last forever (well since 2008 in my case), whilst I seem to be getting through a pair of road tires a year on my road bike!
 Andrew W 02 Oct 2013
In reply to Martin1978: I've got these http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/sks-commuter-mudguards/rp-prod25795 and these http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/sks-chromoplastic-mudguards/rp-prod25793 on my bikes the chromoplastics are a bit easier to set up but neither of them move much or rub the tyre. Some people find them hard to setup well but I've never had much of an issue with them they just take some time and patience to set them up well.
 Escher 02 Oct 2013
In reply to Martin1978: What bike to do you have? I use Raceblade longs and I have had to mod them a bit to make them reliable. Hated Crud Road Racers, but plenty of people swear by them. If your bike isn't designed for proper mudguards and doesn't have long drop brakes then I don't think you'll be able to fit normal bolt ons. Also I can only fit 25mm on the front of my bike, there isn't clearance for 25 at the back. So depending on what bike you have these might be things you need to consider.
 nniff 02 Oct 2013
In reply to Martin1978:

Race-blades for me - the crud ones wouldn't come close to fitting - woudl even go through the gap, let alone fit without rubbing. If your bike has mounts for mudguards you'll probbaly be better placed
OP martinph78 02 Oct 2013
In reply to Martin1978: Hi all. I have a Claud Butler Chinook.

http://claudbutler.co.uk/cycle-range/range/claud-butler-road-touring/b2842

It says designed with mudguard clearance, but it looks tight to me. Saying that, I'm more of a mountain biker than roadie! The guards will stay on once fitted so something tough, cheap, and offering full coverage is more important than weight or aerodynamics.

As for the Marathons, I was looking at the Marathon Greenguard 700x25c.

I am skint, so keeping my usual tubes would save me a few quid!

I might look to fitting panniers one day and doing some touring on it, but for now I just want to commute on it.

Escher 02 Oct 2013
In reply to Martin1978: Ah okay, you'll definitely get SKS Chromoplastics on that and 25mm tyres. Don't go for race blades, they're designed for road bikes without clearance and are not as good as proper guards. I'd take it to an LBS to be honest and tell them what you want, they'll fit them for free and you'll get something that fits and it will only cost a couple of quid extra to what you'll find online. Some things will be a lot cheaper online but proper mudguards, there won't be much in it, and it'll save you the trouble of fiddling around with them. And once they are on, you can leave them on and they'll be trouble free.
OP martinph78 03 Oct 2013
In reply to Escher: Thanks, will go for the SKS chromoplastics then. I can fit them myself, providing they actually fit clearance wise. Halfords is my LBS, or a bit further away is REALLY expensive for everything (they don't do "budget" stuff).

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...