UKC

Yosemite Facelift

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Offwidth 02 Oct 2013
So with a free line-up like this and plentiful cheapish beer, free coffee soft drinks and snacks why do people think so few brits end up there?

http://www.yosemiteclimbing.org/content/2013-facelift-evening-programs

I've been to 4 now and it gets better every time. They dont seem to mind if overseas climbers mix a bit of cleaning with a bit of climbing (which suits Moff and I as its usually the end of a multi-week trip and we are normally creaking a bit by then).
In reply to Offwidth: I was there! For the first 2 nights anyway. I didn;t get a chance to volunteer but I did pick up some stuff when I was up under El Cap on a rest day. We saw quite a few volunteers asking "have you seen any trash" as Yosemite is actually fairly tidy most of the time...

Reel Rock 8 was cool to see on the big screen.
OP Offwidth 02 Oct 2013
In reply to Fultonius:

Over a million pounds weight of trash have been collected over the 10 years. Even this year some significant weight was shifted. Often the worst bits are under the parking areas.
 TobyA 02 Oct 2013
In reply to Offwidth:
> why do people think so few brits end up there?

Because it's in California presumably?
In reply to Offwidth: Apologies, I can see my post might seem to be saying it's not worth volunteering, which, of course, it is.

I'm sure this years crew would have had a lot more "trash" to find if it hadn't been cleaned up for the last 9 years. Good work all round I say!
 Mark Eddy 02 Oct 2013
In reply to Offwidth: Seems like a long way to go, reckon that would explain it.
OP Offwidth 03 Oct 2013
In reply to Fultonius:

Sorry wasn't implying that. We sort of drifted into it: news travelled of free climbing films and free talks from stars and we went to suss it out and ended up helping.
OP Offwidth 03 Oct 2013
In reply to A Mountain Journey:

Yet you are in Yosemite at one of its best times for climbing!?
 Simon Caldwell 03 Oct 2013
In reply to Offwidth:
> Yet you are in Yosemite at one of its best times for climbing!?

So presumably you'd go climbing, rather than picking up litter.

Personally I save my crag tidying for my home patch. Somewhere that's far enough away to be a rare/only visit, I'll concentrate on enjoying myself and let the locals put in the effort.
OP Offwidth 03 Oct 2013
In reply to Toreador:

Fair enough but we pick up litter wherever we are so its not an issue for us. Serious volunteers can get free camping as well during the 5 day period. Just advertising a good cause and the amzing show that goes with it.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...