UKC

Cham air raid siren?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 peebles boy 03 Oct 2013
OK, not strictly climbing related, but its Alpine...

Strolling thru Cham town centre yesterday morning, an air raid siren starts going off and all the church bells start ringing. Everyone else carries on their daily business so I resist the urge to jump under the nearest table. What was it for tho.?
 jon 03 Oct 2013
In reply to peebles boy:

I think 'air raid' siren might just be the wrong word there! There was a time in Vallorcine (and every other small commune with a voluntary fire service) when the siren that alerts the Pompiers to an emergency was tested at 12:00 midday every Saturday. As far as I know they haven't done this for some years now. Chamonix, being a considerably bigger commune has a permanent professional fire service, however, I'd imagine it was some sort emergency related to them.
 drolex 03 Oct 2013
In reply to peebles boy: In France, on the first Wednesday of the month at 12:00, the alert sirens (to be used in case of danger or attack) are tested. I think most of them are situated in the bigger towns and near the borders. Quite common, but not everywhere.
 cuppatea 03 Oct 2013
In reply to peebles boy:

Zee Germans are coming?
 NottsRich 03 Oct 2013
In reply to peebles boy: We heard that a few weeks ago too, the siren and bells all together. Can't remember the date, but it didn't seem to bother anyone else!
 Banned User 77 03 Oct 2013
In reply to peebles boy: I once had that in NZ under Ruapehu.. pretty worrying as I thought it meant the volcano was going off.. it was 2 am and that was how they call out the volunteer fire brigade...
 SiWood 03 Oct 2013
In reply to peebles boy:

I think if it was midday it's the alert siren to indicate "British climbers just starting ascent of ordinary route on Mt Blanc du Tacul", all rescue team members to standby.
 tipsy 03 Oct 2013
In reply to peebles boy: I heard this a couple years back and figured it was potentially a test of some sort of flash flood/avalanche warning siren. Scared the life out of me though! As a young whipper-snapper It's probably the closest I ever got to imagining a small part of what it must have been like during the Blitz. With all the connotations of it's past, was a truly terrifying sound!
 footwork 03 Oct 2013
In reply to peebles boy: I think its for when they release some water out the dams. We were washing in the river when we were told by a local that if the sirens started we needed to get out straight away or we'd be swept downstream.
 Neil Williams 03 Oct 2013
In reply to peebles boy:

Switzerland still regularly tests its attack warning sirens. France doesn't do that as well does it?

Neil
 TomDisomma 03 Oct 2013
In reply to peebles boy:

It's pretty normal, first wednesday of the month at midday the sirens go off.
 andrewmc 03 Oct 2013
In reply to peebles boy:

Happens once a month (?) in Prague as well. Was very confusing as I was on the phone the first time I heard it, and we spent some time trying to decide if it was on my end or theirs...
 Fat Bumbly2 03 Oct 2013
In reply to andrewmcleod: The zombies are coming / dam's leaking
 Carolyn 03 Oct 2013

> I think if it was midday it's the alert siren to indicate "British climbers just starting ascent of ordinary route on Mt Blanc du Tacul", all rescue team members to standby.

I'm liking this explanation the best

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...