UKC

Knot People

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Milesy 04 Oct 2013
In reference to another thread about my winter climbing boots, I need a knot that I can tie on the laces which I can pull tighter, but pulling the strands themself will not undo the knot itself.

I managed to do a surgeons knot and I can pull it tighter and tighter and that is great, but if I pull the strands it still undos the knot like a regular shoelace knot.

My boots don't have lace locks.

Any ideas?
 woolsack 04 Oct 2013
In reply to Milesy: triple horsebend on a bight should do it
OP Milesy 04 Oct 2013
In reply to roperat:

Thanks but I doubt they will have enough holding power for your bodyweight front pointing
 roperat 04 Oct 2013
In reply to Milesy:

Sorry I didn't explain, just hit send.

What I have seen done is that this holds the laces tight below the lace hooks and then a knot used to back it up. I think the laces went around the back of the boot and then back into the lace hooks and tied in the normal way
 jon 04 Oct 2013
In reply to Milesy:

Milesy, whatever knot you chose, don't forget to put a stopper knot in the ends. You know it makes sense.
 Carolyn 04 Oct 2013
In reply to jon:

But in each end individually, or better to tie both ends together in a stopper?
 woolsack 04 Oct 2013
In reply to Carolyn: Best practice would be to tie both boots together in an inverted figure of eight
 jon 04 Oct 2013
In reply to Carolyn:

Definitely individually.
OP Milesy 04 Oct 2013
Right c'mon I know its friday but less of the larking aboot. This is seriously effecting my abilty on steep ice :p
 MG 04 Oct 2013
In reply to Milesy: A bowline, because you can tie it behind your back one handed for when you need to tighten your boots mid-way through an inverted heel hook
 nniff 04 Oct 2013
In reply to Milesy:

Cordlocks -= the spherical ones. I haven't tied knots in my big boots' laces for 25 years. Both side of the lace through a pair of cord locks stacked on top of each other with an overhand on a bight/slip knot behind them to take up the spare and just in case. Couldn't be easier. They don't slip. It will cost you all of about £2 to find out if it works for you.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...