UKC

A total load of crap, Distant Voices.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Al Evans 04 Oct 2013
This progamme is a complete load of crap, as somebody who grew up in the 40/50's it completely misses the point in about a zillion ways. It is such a narrow version of what it says it is, that it's meaningless. Please don't believe that what is like the 40/50's were realy like.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b03c7fkm/Distant_Voices_Still_Lives/
 Escher 04 Oct 2013
In reply to Al Evans: it's semi-autobiographical and based on the director's life. Did everyone have the same experience in the 40/50's?
OP Al Evans 04 Oct 2013
In reply to Escher: I guess I thought it didn't do what it said on the tin ;-s
 HB1 04 Oct 2013
In reply to Al Evans: Not everyone would agree with you. To describe this film as "a complete load of crap" suggests a certain lack of discernment on your part. I grew up in the 40/50s too and I'm sure my upbringing differed from yours also, but so what?
 Tom Valentine 04 Oct 2013
In reply to Al Evans:

Couldn't disagree more, Al. This film and The Long Day Closes are as evocative of the period as Kes is of the 60's, with the bonus of contemporary music fitted effortlessly and completely naturally into the soundtrack.

Only a hill 04 Oct 2013
In reply to Al Evans:
One of the great things about history is that every decade is a world in itself, with differences and depths both vast and subtle. I wasn't around in that era and haven't seen the programme, but I agree with others - different people will have hugely contrasting experiences of the same era.
OP Al Evans 05 Oct 2013
In reply to Only a hill: I guess my problem is I was growing up in the working class, with dads coming back from the war and mums coming back from the factories. This programme all seems to be a bit too upper class for me to accept that what it says on the tin it actually does.
 parkovski 05 Oct 2013
In reply to Al Evans:

What tin?
 Tom Valentine 05 Oct 2013
In reply to Al Evans:
Are we on about the same film? Directed by Terence Davies and featuring one of Pete Postlethwaite's earliest appearances?
 Blue Straggler 05 Oct 2013
In reply to Tom Valentine:
> (In reply to Al Evans)
> Are we on about the same film? Directed by Terence Davies and featuring one of Pete Postlethwaite's earliest appearances?

It is a bit hard to tell, isn't it! I have never (to my lasting shame!) seen this Davies film, but it is certainly what Al has linked to in the OP but I don't know why he is calling it a "programme" and although I haven't seen it, his complaints don't fit what I perceive the film to be about. How odd!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...