UKC

Issues with Evolv Bandits

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 danny_whew 05 Oct 2013
I'm loving my Bandits, they are ridiculusly comfy, with very little dead space. My only problem is that I had to get my first pair replaced after about 4 months due to a split appearing along the seem on the inside toe. The after sales were very good, however another 3-4 months down the line and another split in nearly the identical spot. Therefore, I was wondering if anyone else had had problems with the Bandit because they seem a fairly popular choice?
 GridNorth 05 Oct 2013
In reply to danny_whew: One of the lace loops tore on my first pair while I was abroad for a month. Luckily Go Outdoor agreed to replace them despite my not returning them within the prescribed period. This replacement pair wore out quicker than any other pair of shoes that I have ever owned apart from some Evolve Pontas which also wore out very quickly so I would have to say they are not my preferred brand. When I had the Bandits resoled howvever, because the uppers were still in very good condition they performed better than the originals but I wouldn't buy them again.
OP danny_whew 06 Oct 2013
In reply to danny_whew: Ok I think I'll bear that in mind for my next pair. In the meantime I'll see about getting them replace and if that doesn't happen, just make the most of the added ventilation.
 Puppythedog 06 Oct 2013
In reply to danny_whew: almost identical experience toGridnorth without having returned them with a fault. They wore out very quickly. Some 5.10 rubber on them made them good but won't buy again. I find Anasazi verde fit as well so may be worth trying them.
 GridNorth 06 Oct 2013
In reply to danny_whew: I've replaced mine with Sportiva Miura lace ups and they are an order of magnitude better and even though new I can tell that they will bed in nicely to my feet and become very comfortable.
In reply to danny_whew:

Do you climb a lot of cracks? I've been doing more recently and I noticed the sole coming away at the seam on my Red Chillis, obviously from all the torqueing of the shoe.
 JakeWShaw 06 Oct 2013
In reply to danny_whew: I have a pair of Bandits and 5.10 VCS and they have worn infinitely better than the 5.10's. I mainly use them indoors but they still look/feel great after the best part of a year's regular use.
OP danny_whew 07 Oct 2013
In reply to puppythedog: It seems like it is a dodgy brand, would you reckon putting new rubber on or just get getting shot, (because I've been tempted by some 5:10s.

In reply to purplemonkeyelephant: Nah, they have mainly been used indoors and the amount of use that they have been through doesn't warrant the wear.
 mrchewy 07 Oct 2013
In reply to danny_whew: I'm on my third pair with no problems (other than the smell), they get dumped in the washer on a 30deg wash quite happily too. Not been overly impressed with a resole on one pair and Torquil from Llanberis resoles mentioned the other day that they're not the best for resoling.
Staggered someone can get Muiras to fit as well as these! Utterly different fit on my feet.
 torquil 14 Oct 2013
In reply to danny_whew:

Nearly every pair of Bandits i've resoled have had that split in exactly the same place - I heard that was a problem on a certain batch but now I've seen it so often I don't think that can be the case. (I have two pairs here at the moment - both have the same split)

Along with Anasazis they are my least favourite shoes to resole, they can be okay whilst they are still fairly new but the softer the rands get the harder they are to keep a decent shape on them.

I'm guessing the split happens as they have a hard plastic last in the sole that wears against the soft rands.
 Steve nevers 14 Oct 2013
In reply to torquil:
> (In reply to danny_whew)
>

> Along with Anasazis they are my least favourite shoes to resole, they can be okay whilst they are still fairly new but the softer the rands get the harder they are to keep a decent shape on them.
>

How are the Geshidos for resoling?

I've been giving a pair Evolv Geshidos a lot of use over the past 9 months and am yet to have a problem with them, some wear in some 'hotspots' but overall i reckon i'll get another 2-4 months out of them. I've been using them indoor and out if that matters to anyone. (indoors 2-4 times a week, outdoors couple of times a week on limestone & sandstone.)
 Steve nevers 14 Oct 2013
In reply to Steve nevers: They do bloody stink though.
 Prof. Outdoors 14 Oct 2013
In reply to danny_whew:
Similar problem on my Bandits. Sent photographs of the split to Beyond Hope who are the UK importers. Great response as they told me it was a faulty batch and sent me another pair.

Due to using other set of shoes I have no idea if these will last any longer. It is a pity if they don't as they fit my feet very well.

I might revert back to Red Chili as the Torres, Phantoms and Mescalitos were very good shoes. (Although the Mescalitoes midsole went very quickly)

Bandits are a good shoe but only if Evolv have resolved this weak point.
 jim jones 14 Oct 2013
In reply to GridNorth:
> When I had the Bandits resoled howvever, because the uppers were still in very good condition they performed better than the originals but I wouldn't buy them again.

My experience also with Bandits, I bought a pair after using 5.10's for almost 20 years. I had mine re-soled and re-randed after both toes went through in no time. The re-sole was 5.10 stealth from Llanberis re-soles and now they're great; probably better than previously. Think I'll go back to 5.10 though when these give out.
 Puppythedog 14 Oct 2013
In reply to jim jones: exactly ditto
 Jon Stewart 15 Oct 2013
In reply to danny_whew:

All Evolvs do this. Nice shoes if they're cheap, but don't pay full price for them, shite VFM.
 torquil 15 Oct 2013
In reply to Steve nevers: The geshidos dont seem to have the same problem as the bandits so they resole ok - however as you point out they do share the problem in comonwith all Evovls - they all stink.

I have a Klenz machine that takes the smell out of most climbing shoes fine, but evolvs tend to go through twice!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...