UKC

British Muzkol Pamir Expedition, Tajikistan, 2013

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 JdotP 05 Oct 2013
Myself and a friend are back from an excellent holiday in Tajikistan this summer, during which we climbed an (albeit minor) unclimbed peak at ~5,600m. We are currently in the process of revealing all in our blog! Hopefully there will also be UKC article soon

http://britishmuzkol2013.wordpress.com/
ice.solo 05 Oct 2013
In reply to JdotP:

Lookin forward to it. Always keen on news from the area.
OP JdotP 06 Oct 2013
In reply to ice.solo:
> (In reply to JdotP)
>
> Lookin forward to it. Always keen on news from the area.

Yes, very underrated as a climbing destination!
 d_b 08 Oct 2013
In reply to JdotP:

The settling tank idea was pretty cunning. How long does it take to completely clear?

It occurred to me that you might be able to get at clear water more quickly if you used a siphon tube rather than a bottom tap.
OP JdotP 13 Oct 2013
Depends how fussy you are! I would say it is pleasantly drinkable after half a day, and perfect once left overnight. I guess you could make more complex systems if you wanted to but there is a certain virtue to the simplicity of just having a water container with a bottom tap I think.
 mlt 15 Oct 2013
In reply to JdotP:

Nice work. Whereabouts were you located in the Pamirs? I'm sure the info is in the blog but I'm curious and short on time! I was in the Pamirs a couple weeks ago in between Bash-Gumbez and Alichur staying for three weeks with a hunter/herder named Orozbek (maybe you saw his massive roadside yurt with the sign saying FISH and YURT STAY?). I've got some pictures of fresh peaks in the Bazar Dara area and south of Bash-Gumbez. If you're curious drop me a line. So many titalating peaks running along the Gunt River eh!?
OP JdotP 15 Oct 2013
In reply to mlt:

Yes it is, in earlier entries and the next entry We were in Muzkol range (funnily enough). If you go N on Pamir highway from Murgab then turn L just before lake Karakul. Then imagine you travel SW until you reach the Bartang valley. Muzkol lies between this line and the Pamir highway.

Yes, I was looking at those peaks as we drove up Gunt river this year. I am guessing they were mainly climbed during Soviet era what with being so accessible?

John
 Franco Cookson 16 Oct 2013
In reply to JdotP:

Nice pictures, thanks for reporting. Looks a bit different to the UK...
 JohnBson 19 Nov 2013
Hi I'm looking to go to Pamir to climb some new peaks this summer. I was wondering what information you had on previous climbed peaks so we can pick our location. I've not really researched this kind of thing before and know no other way of getting this information.

Thanks
OP JdotP 21 Nov 2013
In reply to JohnBson:

I just tried to email you but couldn't, if you give me an address I can give you a long list of places to look for this kind of information....
 JohnBson 24 Nov 2013
In reply to JdotP:

Ok try oliver.heyes@gmx.co.uk or lpb10140@strath.uni.ac.uk Thanks
OP JdotP 26 Nov 2013
In reply to JohnBson:

Done!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...