UKC

Sales roles in the Outdoor sector

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Chewie65 07 Oct 2013
After a VERY long and successful career in sales, when I have dealt with a range of industries and individuals. I thought I would try and use my passion for the outdoors for a role within the industry.
So, I noticed Terra Nova were looking for a territory sales manager and sent my CV the Recruitment Company they use.

The response I got was " Unfortunately Terra Nova are looking for someone who has substantial experience of selling to retailers so I would not be able to take your application any further."

So what happened to enthusiasm for what you are selling, experience full stop. Sales is sales. I have sold to and won substantial business from major Plc's as well as small business owners.
Who better to help retailers to sell something, than someone who actually has a good idea what customers want.
I have a huge issue with recruitment companies full stop - they pick an choose who's CV ticks the boxes and get paid too much for it.
How do you get a career in the sector !!
 hokkyokusei 07 Oct 2013
In reply to Wookster:

Send a speculative application direct to Terra Nova.
 CrankCrimp 07 Oct 2013
In reply to Wookster:

Maybe apply at a few more outdoor companies first
Just bad luck this time, maybe someone else had applied who has done the same job for a different company

Don't take it to heart, atleast they were good enough to reply to your application, a lot of companies don't
 Wil Treasure 07 Oct 2013
In reply to Wookster:

I'd write to Terra Nova directly, laying out your experience and passion as you have here.

The average sales rep in the outdoor industry has worked in outdoor centres or climbing walls and usually as a shop assistant/manager previously. The sector is quite small and a lot of jobs will end up going to those who know the sector and the people in it. Do some research into the brands you think you'd like to work for, see if you can get some info on their UK business structure (e.g. agencies, distributors). Outdoori.com is good for job search, but often roles aren't advertised, so be proactive.
OP Chewie65 07 Oct 2013
In reply to CrankCrimp:
I take your point about them replying. I put Recruitment consultants is a league of there own - there can be an exception to every rule though.
My CV will be going to other companies who I personally believe in and provide products I would buy myself.
OP Chewie65 07 Oct 2013
In reply to drysori:
Thanks for the tip on the website.
 Jon Wickham 07 Oct 2013
In reply to Wookster: Hi Wookster, as well as Outdoori I would take a look at http://www.outdoorfutures.co.uk/ good luck.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...