UKC

Greatest move ever?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Tim Chappell 11 Oct 2013
My favourite: stepping up and rightwards onto the slab on the first pitch of Integrity.

Yours?
 phja 11 Oct 2013
In reply to Tim Chappell:

The move over the lip on Tody's wall @ Froggatt...not elegent, but satisfying.
Tim Chappell 11 Oct 2013
In reply to phja:

Edging leftwards out of the sentry-box towards the groove on The Groove at Dunkeld is great, too: little holds, but they're all there.
 sparkass 11 Oct 2013

Rainbow rocket is amazing!
 Enty 11 Oct 2013

Leaving the Porthole on those tiny tiny edges......

E
 DaveHK 11 Oct 2013
Tim Chappell 11 Oct 2013
In reply to DaveHK:

Hee hee. That's a "Now what?" move
 DaveHK 11 Oct 2013

The answer is 'jump off'.
 Enty 11 Oct 2013

The mantleshelf move on Poetry Pink .

E
 Rick Graham 11 Oct 2013
In reply to phja:

> The move over the lip on Tody's wall @ Froggatt...not elegent, but satisfying.

Not a bad choice, but the move off the last undercut on Footless Crow was very special. Perplexing under you fathomed the sequence, then amazing how easy the execution felt. Shame its fallen off.

At HVS, I would now suggest the arete and jug a couple of metres up Eliminator at Stanage Popular.
 GarethSL 11 Oct 2013
In reply to Tim Chappell: The crimp traverse on Aviation, out of the crack and onto the face on central groove.
 EarlyBird 11 Oct 2013

The step round the initial arete on "Heart of Darkness".
Tim Chappell 11 Oct 2013
In reply to EarlyBird:

The through-route on Tower Ridge. Brilliant.
 Jon Stewart 11 Oct 2013
In reply to EarlyBird:
> (In reply to Tim Chappell)
>
> The step round the initial arete on "Heart of Darkness".

Great position, but no 'move' to speak of.

For the best ever actual move it'd have to be on a grit boulder, maybe Pebble Wall.
 EarlyBird 11 Oct 2013
In reply to Jon Stewart:

Hmm? Point. How about Problem 6 - Cratcliffe Top Boulders (VG Peak District Bouldering)?
 kingholmesy 11 Oct 2013

Leaping for the top on Wings of Unreason.
 Jus 11 Oct 2013

The last move on Track of the Cat at the Roaches.
 David Alcock 11 Oct 2013
In reply to Tim Chappell: The first bulge on Heart of the Sun. Best moves ever.
 MNA123 11 Oct 2013

The technical crux of five finger exercise, right hand crimp on that little nubbin and sweeping motion up and right with the left hand as you bring your left foot further along the break, all safe in the knowledge you have good gear beneath you and you can jst enjoy the moment.
 admackie 11 Oct 2013
In reply to Tim Chappell: I cant think of anything other than leaving the tree on oak tree walk so that must be best but I don't remember enjoying it at the time
 Skol 11 Oct 2013
Grabbing my guides leg on a scary move on the cosmicques arête .
Big Jim, said '' no, no, let go ma leg''!
It was improvisation born of fear!
 rurp 11 Oct 2013
In reply to Tim Chappell: I love the move out to the arête on chequers buttress froggat
, lost count of how many times I have done it.
There are only a few routes I choose to do again and again
 mattnuttall 11 Oct 2013
In reply to Tim Chappell: eyeing the barn door finish to Horror Arete at the Bridestones... feet high and GO!
 mattnuttall 11 Oct 2013
In reply to Enty: yes... memorable. My first E5 as a nipper... ah takes me back...
 Aly 11 Oct 2013
In reply to Tim Chappell: No question, the rockover move on Broomgrove Road

The crux sequence on the slab on Superdirect.

Or perhaps Joe Arete at Roaches Upper Tier; I can just do that problem again and again and again. It's just so satisfying, especially done completely statically - a lot of people do a little jump for the top knowing it's a jug (me included the first time), but once I found how to do it statically, I just wanted to do it again and again.
 Skip 12 Oct 2013
abseil 12 Oct 2013

Haven't done it but I think the last step off the mountain having summited Annapurna must be pretty satisfying. (Not the last step ONTO the summit - too tired plus worry about getting down in one piece).
 Jonny2vests 12 Oct 2013
In reply to kingholmesy:
>
> Leaping for the top on Wings of Unreason.

Better than the dyno on Deliverance?
 Tom Valentine 12 Oct 2013
In reply to admackie:

The difficulty increases in proportion to your weight; at 12 stone it's about right for the grade but at 15 it's desperate.
 Pierre Maxted 12 Oct 2013

In reply to Tom Valentine:

At severe, the elegant drop-knee start to Crack and Corner, Roaches upper tier has to be a contender - best enjoyed after watching someone else floundering on it for a bit first.

steve taylor 12 Oct 2013

The drop down to the porthole on Horny L'il Devil.
 GeoffG 12 Oct 2013
In reply to Rick Graham:
Remind me what it was.
I remember reaching left to a thin crack but that might have been later?
 Andy Moles 13 Oct 2013

The slap move on Monty Python's Direct at Kyloe-in-the-woods might be my personal favourite.
 Jimbo C 13 Oct 2013
In reply to phja:
>
> The move over the lip on Tody's wall @ Froggatt...not elegent, but satisfying.

I raise you with the move onto the block on Today's wall

It's difficult to define a 'greatest' move, but Croton Oil has a good exposed move where you reach out left from the flakes to the crack out on the arete.

Also, the top out on Dover's Wall Route 2 - grab jugs, fling a heel onto the top and rock onto it (a move which is now known amongst my circle of friends as a 'hero move').

kingholmesy 13 Oct 2013
In reply to Jonny2vests:
> (In reply to kingholmesy)
> [...]
>
> Better than the dyno on Deliverance?

Yes, because the potential plummet on Wings makes it much more exciting (although I'm yet to latch the top on Deliverance so maybe I'm not qualified to comment).
 Al Evans 13 Oct 2013
In reply to Tim Chappell: It's definitely the mantleshelf on All Hallows on Bell Hagg.
 Dan Arkle 13 Oct 2013
In reply to Jonny2vests:
> (In reply to kingholmesy)
> Wings of Unreason
>
> Better than the dyno on Deliverance?

Far, far better. On Deliverance you've already taken the fall 30+ times, but on Wings, its usually onsight, scary and requires total commitment.
 Bluebird 13 Oct 2013
In reply to Tim Chappell: not done it, but Dan Osman's double dyno on Lovers Leap looked rather exciting
 Sam Beaton 14 Oct 2013

The move to get your left foot onto the massive pebble on Crease Direct at Crookrise
 thedatastream 14 Oct 2013
In reply to Tim Chappell: Stomach traverse on Sweatyman
 Blue Straggler 14 Oct 2013

Dutch lady doing some unnecesary and OTT, but rather crowdpleasing, sideways "flip" at an indoor lead comp last year. The clip was doing the rounds about 6 months ago.

For "real rock climbing", Randall and Whittaker's "upside with leg stuffed into the crack where the climb becomes vertical rather than a roof" on Century Crack.
In reply to Tim Chappell: the rocker on Tody's Wall, Froggatt. always makes me think 'how did I do this last time?'.
 Trangia 14 Oct 2013

Knight's Moves on Grooved Arete - Do you go across and up? Or up and across?

The bold step left from the ledge onto the traverse before Teufel's Crack on Munich Climb

The centre layback move into the niche on Niblick

The off balance move to gain the layback of Slim Finger Crack

The instant exposure on the first few moves of Spiral Stairs

The crux crack of Bowfell Buttress

Doorpost - all of it.

Cardi 14 Oct 2013
Most of those suggested are a bit footcentric IMO! I propose the hand traverse on Nexus with the pop around the corner with your left hand being the highlight!
 oscaig 14 Oct 2013
The fall-over start to Kinyboots at Baggy Point has to rate somwhere up there?

Ian
 Bulls Crack 14 Oct 2013
In reply to oscaig:
> The fall-over start to Kinyboots at Baggy Point has to rate somwhere up there?
>
> Ian

Or even 'down-there'?
In reply to Jimbo C:
> (In reply to phja)
> [...]
>
> I raise you with the move onto the block on Today's wall
>

I've never fathomed why people have trouble with this move. It's about 4a. What's wrong with you all?
 shantaram 14 Oct 2013

The last move on Troutdale Pinnacle reaching blindly for the finishing jug is a good one.
The mantleshelf move on Concave Wall, Wainstones
The move off the top of the tree on North Crag Eliminate, Castle Rock of Trierman
 saffy 14 Oct 2013
In reply to Tim Chappell: The crux move on gumshoe or the mantelshelf on traveler in time!
 Alun 14 Oct 2013
"That step" on Great Slab at Froggatt.
 Alun 14 Oct 2013
In reply to victim of mathematics:
> I've never fathomed why people have trouble with this move. It's about 4a. What's wrong with you all?

Only if you have a reasonable reach and know how to do it (i.e. go left...or was it right?!)
 Alun 14 Oct 2013
In reply to Byronius Maximus:
> The crux sequence on the slab on Superdirect.

Funny cos I would say that the crux layback on the top-pitch is better as a single move. Though the slab is finer pitch when taken as a whole.
In reply to mattnuttall:
> (In reply to Enty) yes... memorable. My first E5 as a nipper... ah takes me back...

Gosh - wonder if I gave you a lift down the road afterwards. I remember once giving a 14-year-old or so who'd just done PP as his first E5 a lift along the Pass.

jcm
 Tony the Blade 14 Oct 2013
In reply to Bluebird:
> (In reply to Tim Chappell) not done it, but Dan Osman's double dyno on Lovers Leap looked rather exciting

Is there a video clip of that anywhere?

Erm, for my 2p worth I have a couple:
1) the mantle shelf on tiny edges of GFI
2) that moment when you find the hidden foothold on Valkyrie
 sparkass 15 Oct 2013
In reply to Alun:

Agreed. But the slab is better overall!

I also liked the move round the corner, off the slab and into the diedre on Prophesy of Drowning - wow.
 Puppythedog 15 Oct 2013
In reply to Tony the Blade: Finding the foothold was an amazing experience, particularly because I didn't know/wasn't fowarned it was there.
 mav 15 Oct 2013
Pulling through the roof on pitch 2 of Big Top, and seeing the ground fall away to my right. Was feeling claustrophobic (boxed in, nervous, head all wrong) and when my hand found the jug and I pulled through all my tension vanished.
(ok, 'roof' is stretching it)
 Michael Gordon 15 Oct 2013
In reply to mav:

Yes, those pitches up the arete are absolutely stunning. I think it's the only time I'll see 'claustrophobic' in the same paragraph as that route though!
 Dave Garnett 15 Oct 2013

Not the hardest but one of the most memorable: the hand traverse on Energy Crisis. Even this photo doesn't capture the drop as you shuffle left.

http://www.mountainproject.com/images/74/16/107207416_large_20d921.jpg
 Sean Kelly 15 Oct 2013
In reply to Tim Chappell: All the moves on Cloggy Corner, it just keeps coming!

I'm amazed how everyone is immediately saying what their greatest move ever is/was, particularly when some of the examples given (of those that I've done anyway) are not that extraordinary. Surely the point of the question is a move that is technically very unusual, requiring some unusual body position/series of moves, 'clever', beautiful, and surprising all at the same time. And ideally in spectacularly exposed and beautiful position. Re. everything except those in the last category I can think of dozens, perhaps hundreds (a surprising number of brilliant moves are to be found on SE Sandstone ... at least as good as grit in that respect.) Dolerite and natural, very well weathered limestone comes out very high in my memories too. And the best granite. Rhyolite tends to be more fun/dramatic than technical, though there are huge exceptions like the Grochan of course,.

Having mouthed off, I'd better at least give some examples of just a few of the very best moves I can remember, off the top of my head. I won't mention sandstone or gritstone, because there are just so many (but tempted to mention crux of Old Friends, Tody's Wall, Peapod, and Five Finger Exercise). On bigger crags in exposed positions: cruxes of West Flank Route, Kipling Groove, Vector, Weaver - outrageous move I thought, end of traverse on pitch 3 Nexus, and at a lower level, top of Naismith's Route and Tophet Wall, both outrageously good for their standard. I'm sure I'll think of dozens of others. Some brilliant ones on Cornish granite too.
In reply to Gordon Stainforth:

By Naismith's Route I mean the one on the Basteir Tooth.

PS 2. All four cruxes on The Plum are utterly brilliant too. Almost every crux move of every route on the Nose of the Mot, that I've done, anyway.
 Alpenglow 15 Oct 2013
In reply to Tim Chappell: Every single move on Three Pebble Slab...
In reply to blackreaver:

Well, steady, but there's no question that the crux is brilliant.
In reply to blackreaver:

One that really IS brilliant on Froggatt, every single move, is Great Slab (only seconded, hadn't got NEARLY enough ability in hand to even contemplate leading/ i.e. soloing it) Froggatt also has some classic cruxes that are more beautiful than technically particularly brilliant e.g. Valkyrie and Chequers Arete. Both utter class.

Shining Clough has some particularly wow! cruxes too.

And that slab at Castle Naze, first done solo in bare feet by Stanley Jeffcoat. A fantastic route. Sheer class, every single move. Outrageously good, not to mention gutsy, for its date (c. 1911 I think)

Then there are all those incredible routes at Laddow. I mean incredibly interesting technically. Including Ivar Berg's incredible first E1, both technically hard and strenuous in a totally modern way, and that wonderful direct, whatever it's called, near the left end of the crag by Birtwistle, on perfect rock. Very sustained HVS 5a, and he wouldn't have had a stitch of protection

Then there's the whole of the Chew Valley. Best I shut up now.

Please forgive me, but I must mention just one more: at E1, the crux of Ivy Sepulchre on the Cromlech is absolutely outrageously good, requiring a dyno for a hoped-for jug that really does materialise, in an outrageously spectacular overhanging position. Getting yourself into the wide bridging position for that dyne, for someone with v short legs like myself it technically quite tricky. PS. By dyne, I mean something that would be v tame by climbing wall standards, but it is a committing dyne nevertheless.

I keep on writing D Y N O and the UKC website changes it back to 'dyne', sorry.
 Wilbur 15 Oct 2013

I agree on the slap move on nexus up high.

What about the Harding slot on spectre? I recall throwing myself in!

Also see karwendal wall crux at the grochan. What a move!

Top pitch of superdirect also has some incredible moves
 Wilbur 15 Oct 2013

Also see holly tree direct in langdale. The greatest '4c' move I've encountered!
In reply to Wilbur:
> (In reply to Gordon Stainforth)
>
> I agree on the slap move on nexus up high.
>
> What about the Harding slot on spectre? I recall throwing myself in!

I did that so badly, in 1968, at the limit of my ability, graunching up the the right side of the chimney, au cheval, that I can't possibly comment on it
>
> Also see karwendal wall crux at the grochan. What a move!

Agreed. A superb, beautiful, elegant crux.
>
> Top pitch of superdirect also has some incredible moves

V sad never to have done this. Everyone I know who's done it raves about it.
In reply to Wilbur:
> (In reply to Gordon Stainforth)
>

> Top pitch of superdirect also has some incredible moves

actually, on reflection, I think I may have done this, if you mean the short pitch above the final narrow terrace. I think that's what we chose to do as a finish to Crosstie, by moving a long way right. It it's what I remember, a fantastic clean, hard v dynamic overhanging bridging thing, All those finishes at the top of the Mot nose are fantastic. Including the (modern) finish to Diagonal.

PS. Crosstie was a scary gem too. The crux final pitch is a beautiful, clean left leaning shallow groove, in a fantastic position, of great technical interest. Last move being the hardest. Amazing climbing in a superb position
 sparkass 16 Oct 2013

The turnaround move on Strap.... is pretty amazing, but the exposure it limited!
 alooker 16 Oct 2013
In reply to Tim Chappell: that new blue down at the wall
 mbh 16 Oct 2013

It's a while since I did it, and I don't know if it counts as a "move" or a "position", but the bit on Mitre at Chair Ladder when you come out onto the main face is quite something, at least in my memory.
In reply to mbh:
>
> It's a while since I did it, and I don't know if it counts as a "move" or a "position", but the bit on Mitre at Chair Ladder when you come out onto the main face is quite something, at least in my memory.

+1 Glad you mentioned it, because I remember being really impressed by Mitre. Diocese is wonderful too.
 paul mitchell 16 Oct 2013
In reply to Tim Chappell: best move: into bed at the end of a strenny day.
Heel hook on Pump Me Tenderly at Winspit. Ridiculous and the only hard move on the route. Can be done without it but why would you?
Removed User 18 Oct 2013
In reply to blackmountainbiker:

To add a continental flavour.

The move out of the cave on Little Michluzzi (SP) Piz Ciaves, Dolomites.

You move from the comfort of the cave out onto the wall with nothing beneath your feet. Its not hard but I love it.

Gary.
 Choss 18 Oct 2013

Im gonna go a bit Esoteric.

Not a top route, not a top crag, and only just off the Deck. I just used to really enjoy the flow of the couple of moves, just always felt smooth and Right.

Castle rock, cleeve Hill. First 6 Metres of the overhang. Off balance move for 2 finger pocket Round arete with left Hand. Get balance, up again left Hand for narrow Ledge, Right Hand to vertical Hand Pinch. Then its all over, Saunter up easy Final Crack.

Nothing Special, just like the flow.

Current guidebook has it at E2 5b. But its only HVS 5a really
 Jimbo C 18 Oct 2013
>
> I'm amazed how everyone is immediately saying what their greatest move .... Surely the point of the question is a move that is technically very unusual, requiring some unusual body position/series of moves, 'clever', beautiful, and surprising all at the same time.

So, the greatest move ever is going to be something that someone other than ones-self has done. Like the sideways move on the Quarryman Groove, or the ridiculous footless span and swing into leg lock on Sharma's Witness The Fitness.

All the moves on Shadow Play at Kentmere.
 Neils 19 Oct 2013
In reply to Tim Chappell: d2 to d4

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...