UKC

Scottish winter climbing video preview

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 mattb1210 13 Oct 2013
Finally going through all the hours of gopro footage i've collected over the last year in hope i can edit something half decent out of it all.

This is just a small sample section of my last winter trip to scotland. Part of a much bigger film to feature trad, french alps and downhill mountain biking.

If anything, i just hope it just reminds you all of lucky we are to live in one of the most amazing places on earth!

Any feedback would be great

check it out: vimeo.com/76813981
 Mr Fuller 13 Oct 2013
In reply to mattb1210: I really enjoyed that, thanks. I thought the initial shots were absolutely stunning, and the climbing shots were great. The walk-in bit of the vid I thought was less impressive but I see the need for it to complete the 'beginning-middle-end' thing. I'd prefer it with more mega mountain shots at the start and less walk-in, but after that perfect! Thanks, I am super psyched for some ice now.
Simon Wells 13 Oct 2013
In reply to mattb1210:

Love it!

Fantastic!

Reminded me of sooooo many wonderful winter days.

Thank you
OP mattb1210 13 Oct 2013
In reply to Mr Fuller: Fair point and i do actually agree. A bit draw out! prob have another edit before the completed project. glad its got you thinking of the winter
OP mattb1210 13 Oct 2013
In reply to Simon Wells: thanks simon
 ablackett 13 Oct 2013
In reply to mattb1210: Lovely footage and a great edit job.
 LakesWinter 13 Oct 2013
In reply to mattb1210: Was the route The Vent?
OP mattb1210 13 Oct 2013
In reply to LakesWinter: yes some of the footage was from the vent! spot on! gotta love that long exposed walk in
 Wee Davie 13 Oct 2013
In reply to mattb1210:

Nice one. You really captured some great footage and some beautiful images of the mounatins. As already mentioned, I also would get rid of 90% of the slow- mo walk in bits but otherwise it's a really nice wee vid. No other criticisms though!
 Wee Davie 13 Oct 2013
In reply to mattb1210:

I've done some vids too (see my profile). Would appreciate some feedback on mine as well.
 jimjimjim 13 Oct 2013
In reply to mattb1210: I take it there's no sound with these go pro things? Shame to not hear some banter. Nice vid though. I'd love to get sorted with all the kit and know how to knock a few vids out like this and be able to look back on great days out.
 climber34neil 13 Oct 2013
In reply to mattb1210: really enjoyed that! Only criticism would be that it's not long enough, I have just started a night shift and could do with the vid being about 10 hours long to keep me going!
 James Edwards 13 Oct 2013
In reply to mattb1210:
I liked it. It felt like the promise of winter to come; a taster.
I liked the fact that you didn't show any faces, this making it easier for the viewer (voyeur?) to feel like they are in the movie.

If makes me look forward to 3am starts and 5 hour walkins. Can't wait; estivation is almost over.

James e
 alooker 13 Oct 2013
In reply to mattb1210: great stuff, thanks for posting
 Flett 14 Oct 2013
In reply to mattb1210:

Crackin vid lad
 Alex Slipchuk 14 Oct 2013
In reply to mattb1210: ice axe placements synchronization with rhythm, so well done it is barely noticeable, bravo
 Cuthbert 14 Oct 2013
In reply to mattb1210:

It's good but a bit too much looking at your feet which I presume is due to where the camera was.
 DafMorris 15 Oct 2013
In reply to Wee Davie: Your Pigs of Orchy was a classic!!!
 Jamie B 15 Oct 2013
In reply to mattb1210:

The landscape shots were brilliant, and I actually liked the footage of the slow-mo trudge on the approach - it rang true!

But I'm afraid I find helmet-cam footage to be pretty generic and that it doesn't really tell me much about the nature of the climb.
 leeoftroy 15 Oct 2013
In reply to Saor Alba:
> (In reply to mattb1210)
>
> It's good but a bit too much looking at your feet which I presume is due to where the camera was.

I'm in agreement, but with a bit more footage and editing it would be really great. The time lapse opening shots are brilliant and it's got me all excited about winter. Good work!
 BruceM 15 Oct 2013
In reply to mattb1210:

Yes. Some nice shots. But need to Edit, edit, edit. And throw in some other points of view. Best way to learn is to look at some pro stuff and compare shots, lengths, flow etc. If you want to make pro stuff gotta think like a pro. And of the audiance. But then if it's just for you and your mates, then who cares
 Rank_Bajin 15 Oct 2013
In reply to DafMorris:

I agree. Heard it was shortlisted for Sundance!
Nice video.

What's the view please at 0:37m?

I'm sure I'll kick myself when I find out.
OP mattb1210 16 Oct 2013
In reply to mattb1210: thanks for all your comments guys. I certainly agree it needs more editing! Just limited to how many different perspectives you can really get with just a gopro to film with.

If its just given you all an appetite for this coming winter then I'm happy with that!
OP mattb1210 16 Oct 2013
In reply to The Big Man: ah you noticed lol
 coachmacca 16 Oct 2013
In reply to mattb1210: stunning, just back from walking on Bruach na Frithe !
 Jim Fraser 17 Oct 2013
In reply to Colin Henderson:

There's a wee scrappy bit of ground that might pass for a layby beside one of the S-bends a couple of thousand metres east of the battle site in Glen Shiel. Stop the car there, move 20m over to the river and you get a view just like that. I must have taken half a dozen of these with most of the cameras I have owned. Used to always get Runrig's Going Home playing at this point. #In the distance, day was dawning ...#

Creag nan Damh up on the left and its smaller friend Sgurr a'Chuilinn centre stage followed by Faochag and then Sgurr an Forcan with the well-known ridge facing the camera and the Sgurr na Creige ridge out to the right of it.
 MadProfessor 17 Oct 2013
In reply to mattb1210: Nice footage, agree with people about the slo-mo - works in small doses, but you could prune it a bit and substitute some more mountain shots. Great appetiser!
 DafMorris 19 Oct 2013
In reply to Rank_Bajin: more like Lord of the Dance
 Gav M 19 Oct 2013
In reply to MadProfessor:

I particularly like the moving landscape bits
 ironfoot 30 Oct 2013
In reply to mattb1210: stunning video brings back memory's, cant wait for the ice

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...