UKC

romantic destination help needed...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Dom Whillans 15 Oct 2013
I need to take my girl friend away at the end of November... On a short romantic holiday that will either be warm and sunny or snowy and Christmassy. Whatever the destination though it's got to be poet cheap. Is there anywhere that's guaranteed to be snowy? I was thinking maybe Innsbruck. The girlfriend doesn't ski btw ...
 sweenyt 15 Oct 2013
In reply to Dom Whillans:

> The girlfriend doesn't ski btw ...

well it's about time she learned then...
 butteredfrog 15 Oct 2013

I remember Salzburg as being "chocolate box" pretty, all that Von-Trapp crap as well.
OP Dom Whillans 15 Oct 2013
In reply to butteredfrog: I was just looking at Salzburg, funnily enough... The gf loves musicals so I think we might have found a winner there!
 ByEek 15 Oct 2013
In reply to Dom Whillans: Don't bother with Paris. It is as grim as London in the winter. How about Barcelona for a warmer option. Nice smaller town feel and next to the sea.
 Ava Adore 15 Oct 2013

Keswick. Every time.
 climbingpixie 15 Oct 2013

I had a lovely romantic weekend away in Budapest last year. It's a beautiful city and fairly cheap to stay in a posh hotel. We had nice food and the best hot chocolate ever, went ice skating in the park and spent ages lazing around in thermal baths.
KevinD 15 Oct 2013

http://www.thesnowcentre.com/

cheap(ish), snow but not sure about the romantic bit.
Would have thought be quite difficult finding a guaranteed snowy. What about one of the Christmas markets?
 Padraig 15 Oct 2013
> I need to take my girl friend away at the end of November...

It might have sounded more romantic if you'd said..
I want to take................

Dont have any suggestions other than this kind of thing is usually very couple specific.
 Ramblin dave 15 Oct 2013
Bruges?

Not guaranteed to be snowy, but super pretty whatever the weather. They have an ice-sculpture festival from the end of November.

It's not super-cheap, though.
 Ramblin dave 15 Oct 2013
In reply to Ramblin dave:
Also, it's one of the only places in the world where drinking beer and eating chips counts as "exploring the traditional local culture".
 ripper 15 Oct 2013
In reply to Dom Whillans: as far north and east as you can get/afford, I'd have thought - Helsinki? Tallinn? Berlin? somewhere in Poland?

or for warm, yes to Barcelona or if it's just for a weekend maybe Palermo?
 The Lemming 15 Oct 2013

You can't get cheaper than Blackpool
 butteredfrog 15 Oct 2013
In reply to The Lemming:

Morcambe?
OP Dom Whillans 15 Oct 2013
In reply to Padraig: ha, I take your point, but this is a definite need situation. I wouldn't be doing it if I didn't want to do it, and I wouldn't be making sure I get the destination spot on unless it was important to me to get it absolutely right...
 Ramblin dave 15 Oct 2013
> (In reply to Padraig) ha, I take your point, but this is a definite need situation. I wouldn't be doing it if I didn't want to do it, and I wouldn't be making sure I get the destination spot on unless it was important to me to get it absolutely right...

Have you chosen the ring yet?
 Alyson 15 Oct 2013
In reply to Dom Whillans: The medieval centre of Tallinn is beautiful and even if there isn't snow on the ground, the cosy beer cellars and ice bars have a wintery feel. You can fly there cheaply and I got a brilliant hotel deal by emailing them directly.
 ripper 15 Oct 2013
In reply to Alyson:
> (In reply to Dom Whillans) The medieval centre of Tallinn is beautiful and even if there isn't snow on the ground, the cosy beer cellars and ice bars have a wintery feel. You can fly there cheaply and I got a brilliant hotel deal by emailing them directly.

agree with this - be careful though, the Estonian women are distractingly gorgeous. wear blinkers...
 Alan M 15 Oct 2013

I vote for Tallin (Estonia) or Poland (Poznan, Krakow etc) cheap, easy to reach and the old towns are very picturesque. If not them then possibly Bratislava (though its a poor relation when comparing old towns)or Budapest?

Though for romance with easy travel and cheapness you can't go wrong with Prague? Probably the most romantic city in Europe (some would say Paris however I have never understood the lure of Paris its a sh*t tip full of grumpy people).

jonoh 15 Oct 2013
In reply to Dom Whillans: Bruges or Ghent . Very picturesque and quite romantic
 ripper 15 Oct 2013
In reply to Dom Whillans: or as I said earlier, Sicily - cheap flight to Palermo then hop on the train which trundles along the coast to Cefalu: you can picnic on the beach, it'll still be warm enough for a swim, then wander round the gorgeous little old town centre with your gelati before enjoying a big plateful of some local delicacy like pasta with sardines or seafood couscous...
 stevieb 16 Oct 2013
I think you'd be taking pot luck on cheap sunny places. November is the wettest month for a lot of the med, but if you got lucky Rome would be great, and plenty of indoor stuff if the weather's not so hot.
 Sam_in_Leeds 16 Oct 2013

A Travelodge just outside Mirfield on the A62 was one of the most "Interesting" nights of my life from a romantic point of view...
 earlsdonwhu 16 Oct 2013
In reply to Dom Whillans: Bratislava?
 DR 16 Oct 2013
In reply to Alan M:
+1 for Prague - went in September and it is such a beautiful city. Cheap food and good food if you take the time and the trams out of the fleshpots to find it - and Charles Bridge at sunrise is about as luminously romantic as it can get I reckon.

Aye,
Davie
 Sam_in_Leeds 16 Oct 2013
In reply to earlsdonwhu:
> (In reply to Dom Whillans) Bratislava?

Beer's cheap too
 sargy 16 Oct 2013
Not everyone agrees, but I love Marrakech and think its a very romantic and almost exotic destination. Cheap as chips and not too far away either
OP Dom Whillans 16 Oct 2013
cheers for all the ideas, guys... i've just booked us a stay in the old Von Trapp family house in Salzburg. She loves musicals, she loves fairytale castles and she loves winter markets. i reckon i did good
Removed User 16 Oct 2013

Lautro in Crete

https://www.google.com/search?q=loutro+crete+loutro+crete+loutro+crete&...

You could maybe get a cheap flight there.
 climber34neil 16 Oct 2013
In reply to Dom Whillans: another vote for Budapest , can also get the train from there to Vienna , takes about 2 hours and makes a great day out! Failing that rent a campervan and park it where ever you want
Simos 17 Oct 2013
In reply to sargy:

+1 for marrakech

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...