UKC

NEW REVIEW: 8000m - Climbing the world's highest mountains

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC Gear 17 Oct 2013
8000m - Alan Hinkes, 3 kb

The new coffee table book '8000 Metres - Climbing the world's highest mountains' by Alan Hinkes is a visually stunning record of Hinkes' quest to climb all fourteen 8000m peaks.

He is currently the only British climber to have completed this remarkable achievement.

Read more at http://www.ukclimbing.com/gear/review.php?id=5869
 aln 17 Oct 2013
In reply to UKC Gear: Alan is an absolute star of British mountaineering and deserves lots of kudos.
 simondgee 18 Oct 2013
In reply to UKC Gear:
Good review Jack...It is an outstanding book...How many people can document all the 8000M peaks with such staggeringly good photography, Let alone have the story of getting to the top on each. Over the 17 year period of doing these, photography was predominantly on film so much harder to handle, care for and execute than digital, as most of us know...I think he only used digital on the last 1-2. The writing is straightforward, personal and to the point. That Alan has not been recognized for keeping on doing and staying alive at high altitude Its funny when you hear 'its just a bunch of plods'...that's why so many people have done them eh.

Separately, I was wondering the names of British climbers have done 7 or more 8000'rs and are still around to tell the tale?
 Sean Kelly 18 Oct 2013
In reply to UKC Gear:Aparently gear shops are not selling coffee table books as they are outpriced by Amazon. That's what I was told in Cotswold! As I don't e-shop (lots of fraud on my account) I am having trouble getting hold of a hard copy. And as for Dave Coley and Andy KIrkpatrick's book 'High', it's only available on Kindle. Bit of a pain really.
 Rick Graham 18 Oct 2013
In reply to Sean Kelly:
> ( I am having trouble getting hold of a hard copy.

In stock at Cordee.
In reply to Sean Kelly:
> (In reply to UKC Gear)Aparently gear shops are not selling coffee table books as they are outpriced by Amazon. That's what I was told in Cotswold!

As an ex-manager of a cotswolds shop, I can tell you that if you ask the right person, they will order it for you. Book stock are the only items that are controlled by the shop and not the warehouse.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...