UKC

Armaid - anyone used one?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Kelcat 17 Oct 2013
As per title.
After 4 months away from climbing, 3days on the bounce have left me with severe dis comfort in my forearms (am thinking flexors) & yes I know its my own fault.
Has got me thinking about this Armaid thing I've seen, so any thoughts?
 nufkin 17 Oct 2013
In reply to Kelcat:

I've used one, and it did seem to help my elbow pain. I was a bit worried I was being diddled since they're pretty expensive and look a bit stupid, but I think it helped.
You can probably do the same with a knuckle in the knotty muscle, but the levering makes it much easier, and probably more effective
 kenr 21 Oct 2013
In reply to nufkin:
> You can probably do the same with a knuckle in the knotty muscle,
> but the levering makes it much easier

Yes for "normal" quick massage after a finger-intensive, the ArmAid works well. As nufkin says, much faster and easier than using the knuckles.
(Extra feature: Can also use the ArmAid to massage both sides of the upper arm).

Very well designed, I'd guess it's been through some iterations.

It's also a good "learning" tool for how to do self-massage -- when used with the instructional videos.

The shortcoming for climbing is that some key muscles (flexor digitorum profundus) for finger grip are deeper inside the underside/inside of the forearm, too deep for the ArmAid mechanism to really "dig" into fully.

So for digging into "trigger points" in the FDP muscles I need to my knuckles.

(One climber on MountainProject made the brilliant suggestion of putting the forearm down low with its underside/inside turned upward, and digging in with the opposite _elbow_, supported by body weight -- but too often I get cramps in my groin muscles when I try that configuration, and my opposite arm has gotten strong enough to dig without the aid of body weight).

And I also need to use my knuckles to _find_ those trigger points. So if I suspect a hard workout has resulted in need for deep digging, I find I don't use the ArmAid at all.

But I _learned_ all this by starting with the ArmAid.

madguernseyboy 21 Oct 2013
In reply to kenr:

Kenr this is very informative as I too had been considering buying one. can you recommend any links/videos on forearm massage?

thanks,

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...