UKC

lightweight one-man tent

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 KennyWright 18 Oct 2013
A mate of mine asked me if I could suggest a good, lightweight single person tent for walking trips in Scotland. I think he wants to head into the hills over the winter so it does need to be robust. I haven't got a clue! Any suggestions?
Rigid Raider 18 Oct 2013
In reply to KennyWright:

Saunders Jetpacker.
 Jon Read 18 Oct 2013
In reply to KennyWright:
Hilleberg Akto -- proper strong.
 TMM 18 Oct 2013
In reply to KennyWright:

TarpTent Scarp.
http://www.tarptent.com/scarp1.html

Single pole weight of 1.36Kg
Two additional cross poles can be added for wind resistance and snow loading for nominal additional weight.
Very strong and spacious for the price and weight.
 Jon Read 18 Oct 2013
In reply to TMM:
Yes, if I was buying again I'd definitely consider them. Can you get them in the UK now?
 aliander7 18 Oct 2013
In reply to KennyWright:
+1 for the Scarp. There's one or two suppliers on the continent that stock them, probably not cheaper than US import but less hassle for sure.
 Siward 18 Oct 2013
In reply to Jon Read: I like the look of their Contrail, simple, light and (apparently) midge proof.
 connor 18 Oct 2013
In reply to KennyWright:

I hear the Gellert solo is not too bad ....
 Choss 18 Oct 2013
In reply to KennyWright:

I Picked up a Coleman Viper for a tenner on gumtree.

Been fine in rough wind and rain. I like the big door opening. Never had to spend a night in it in horrendous mountain conditions so cant comment.
alexgoodey 18 Oct 2013
Gelert Solo is cheap (sub £50) but you need to swap out the poles because the standard ones are brittle. If you do that and swap out the pegs for titanium, it take the total cost to £100 and gets you down to 1.2kg. They are not very comfortable if like me you're over 6 foot 3 inches but other than that, a good tent at a low weight for the money.

For roughly the same money (£99) you can get a new Terra Nova Zephyros 1, slightly heavier (1.4kg) but more space and guaranteed.

I managed to pick up a Laser Comp for £200 so that's now my mobile home in the hills.

The Akto is best for proper winter mountain clombing / walking if you have a few people to share the load, as it weights and costs quite a bit.
alexgoodey 18 Oct 2013
In reply to alexgoodey: to clarify - that was a sarcastic comment on the cost vs weight of the akto, which I'm sure is a fine tent, but not for me - the akto is 1.7kg packed and £400+ for a solo tent - way to much for me!
 lone 18 Oct 2013
In reply to connor: connor: I have a Gelert Solo, it's like sleeping in a coffin, good fun tho and quite cosy - J
In reply to lone: I've a cheap Atko going if anyone wants one
Probably Fleebay it at the weekend
OP KennyWright 20 Oct 2013
In reply to stevieweesaxs107:
thanks for the advice chaps. I'll pass it onto my pal. I assume none of these tents come with a multifuel stove? I prefer bothies myself!
 jezb1 20 Oct 2013
In reply to KennyWright: thankfully I didn't pay much for my laser comp, £120 on offer, even after putting extra guy lines on it, it's far too flappy to actually sleep in bad weather.

Can help with what to buy, but I'd avoid the laser.
 dollydog 20 Oct 2013
In reply to KennyWright:regards the akto;ive seen vid.of it in rain and high winds;certainly doesnt rate a 400 quid price tag.it looks great,but there are more robust tents;you will sacrifice performance if you go ultralight;my tent weighs in at 2.7 kilos,and id trust it in any conditions;and its a single tranverse pole design too.you cannot buy the model,its circa 2000.be aware winter camping in scottish mountain conditions,isnt to be taken lightly.(aint that a cute pun!)
alexgoodey 20 Oct 2013
In reply to KennyWright: more points on the gelert solo, it's very low to the ground (I refer to mine as the sneeze) and so it's simply not exposed enough to catch any wind.. it's a great tent for the money. yes it's snug but why carry extra volume you don't need!
 petestack 20 Oct 2013
In reply to alexgoodey:
> The Akto is best for proper winter mountain clombing / walking

Nope, the Akto is marginal for proper winter anything, though still better than most really light tents...

> if you have a few people to share the load, as it weights and costs quite a bit.

Having carried one all over the place, pitched in conditions that might have flattened some of the alternatives and never been bothered by its 'weight', I'd say it hits the right strength/weight point and you get what you pay for.

In reply to alexgoodey:
> to clarify - that was a sarcastic comment on the cost vs weight of the akto,

See above!

In reply to jezb1:
> thankfully I didn't pay much for my laser comp, £120 on offer, even after putting extra guy lines on it, it's far too flappy to actually sleep in bad weather.

Which (flappy/noisy in the wind) is also my main bugbear with the Akto. Though, to be fair, it's never come down or sustained damage from that yet.

In reply to dollydog:
> regards the akto;ive seen vid.of it in rain and high winds;certainly doesnt rate a 400 quid price tag.

A matter of opinion when it's highly rated by others and clearly still selling well!

> you will sacrifice performance if you go ultralight

Agreed!

> be aware winter camping in scottish mountain conditions,isnt to be taken lightly.

Which is why I've just got a Soulo (which costs more and weighs more!) to go with my Akto for trip-by-trip choice.
In reply to petestack:

Like most people I don't have the time or money to try multiple tents so can only comment on the one or two models I've used.

I've the Laserlight comp and I haven't found it too bad for noise in wind, though I've not used it in full gale force but have used it in Scottish summer gales. Given that it's sub 1Kg in weight and it's intended usage is for mountain marathons it is remarkably strong.

My next tent up in weight is the Vango Spirit 200+ which is 3Kg in weight and certainly stands up to Hebridean storms but it is definitely a two man tent.

ALC
 Red Rover 20 Oct 2013
In reply to KennyWright:

The Rab Summit Superlight Bivvi is good, its a tent rather than a bivvy but they cant call it that cos its not made of flame retardant material. I got it for 200 quid rather than 450, I've used it in summer, winter and expeditions and its kept me warm and dry through everything. It weights 1500 g and doesnt need pegs or guy ropes.
 jezb1 20 Oct 2013
In reply to Red Rover: do you get condensation issues?
 Red Rover 20 Oct 2013
In reply to jezb1: Yes if its damp outside, but opening the vent and the door a bit to get some airflow usually sorts it. If it was damp outside and too cold to do this then it would be a problem.
 Red Rover 20 Oct 2013
In reply to jezb1: You get condensation on the poles which is hard to avoid as theyre metal and on the inside. I think I could modify it with some strips of cloth round the poles or something to soak it up and stop it moving.
In reply to KennyWright: surely someone has to make a shout for the voyager. OK, i will then.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...