UKC

Scarpa Terminator X - v. specific question

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 TobyA 19 Oct 2013
OK, so the very specific question: has anyone used the Terminator Xs with AT skis/bindings? Scarpa's updated website http://dev.scarpa.net/en/terminator-x.html make a thing of them being "The world's first telemark/AT compatible boot".

I've been thinking about moving from tele to AT gear, but it just struck me with these boots you can possible do both - obviously you need to buy the horribly expensive NTN bindings for tele skis, but still... But are they decent AT boots?
 HeMa 19 Oct 2013
In reply to TobyA:

Simply put... yes they work.

I've been using Crispi NTN Evo Rando's (from Bear&Water) with dynafiddle inserts for the last 3 years.

I mostly telewank for resorts and sidecountry (or molehills in Finland) and for actual touring it's dynafiddles.

Oh, and I would prolly get the Crispi's over Scarpa's (provided they fit). Shiver's might be better comparison to T-X's though.

Some tweakin' is needed on AT-binders though, a shim under the bellows might be a good idea...
OP TobyA 19 Oct 2013
In reply to HeMa:

> Oh, and I would prolly get the Crispi's over Scarpa's (provided they fit).

I don't think they do. Tried on a bunch of all half price or more boots in certain Tampere supermarket back last winter, and the TXs were the only ones that fitted well (would have bought T2s if they had them in my size). BD and whatever other brand they had (Garmont or Crispi I think) were way too narrow for my fat feet.

Now kind of regretting not getting them when they were so cheap, but then I hadn't fallen over enough in sticky bottomless wet snow at the bottom of various Lyngen mountains to make me think seriously about getting AT gear!
 HeMa 19 Oct 2013
In reply to TobyA:
> (In reply to HeMa)
> I don't think they do. Tried on a bunch of all half price or more boots in certain Tampere supermarket back last winter, and the TXs were the only ones that fitted well.Garmont or Crispi I think, were way too narrow for my fat feet.

The last is different on NTN Crispis versus the 75mm models.

So before ya say somethin, be sure to try 'em out.

BTW. Scarpa T1s were too narrow for me, but Crispis fit (I have skinny heels but wide toes).
Phil Ev 30 Oct 2013
In reply to TobyA:

Hiya

I prefer the Scarpa boots to the Crispi's

What fits your feet is of course best.

Ta
OP TobyA 30 Oct 2013
In reply to Phil Ev: Have you used them with both NTN and dynafit bindings Phil?
paraffin 30 Oct 2013
In reply to TobyA:

Those Scarpas look a versatile if you were about to upgrade. However, if I was you, I would stick with the gear I have got and work on my technique.

Voile Switchbacks & Garmont EnerG's - fitted to any old pair of planks.

OP TobyA 30 Oct 2013
In reply to paraffin:

> Those Scarpas look a versatile if you were about to upgrade. However, if I was you, I would stick with the gear I have got and work on my technique.

I bought my T2s second hand in 2001 and my skis and bindings the same year, but they were new, so all my gear is at least 12 years old. The main thing though is that I think I want AT gear for the type of touring I did this year in Lyngen - I want to ski more and side-slip and/or fall less! But I would still like to telemark on the Finnish molehills for example, when skiing with the family etc.
paraffin 31 Oct 2013
In reply to TobyA:

12 yr old T2's - time for an upgrade!

I had same model and when I went over to foam fit EnerGs & Voile Switchbacks I could not believe the improved support & control. Having looked at your Lyngen report the snow was challenging - so upgrading gear might boost your confidence.
Saying that, what you may have learned with the old kit should stay with you.
Gud Tur
OP TobyA 31 Oct 2013
In reply to paraffin: Probably more like 13 or 14 I guess. I use them lots locally now as well with my Marquettes.

I just wish money wasn't such an issue! Ski gear is about as expensive as mountain sport equipment gets it seems.
 HeMa 31 Oct 2013
In reply to TobyA:

Yes, but if you do dab into NTN... I might have some cheapo-skis for ya. Heck, I might even have spare NTN plates (so you could swap the binders between two pairs of skis, provided you went with the Freeride-model).
paraffin 31 Oct 2013
In reply to TobyA:
Wondered if you are taking the route many take after a while of teleing and decide legs, technique etc. are not up to it and so opt for locking the heel?

I slip into parallel mode when terrain gets tough / legs tire - but with new gear I never wish my heel was locked down - yet.

These Scarpa hybrids seem to offer a (fair) cop out.

Anyway, T2's secondhand say £150/10 yrs = £15/yr that's VFM?!
OP TobyA 31 Oct 2013
In reply to HeMa: I'm definitely interested, lets talk more on it. More training Stadionissa (?) soon?
 HeMa 31 Oct 2013
In reply to TobyA:

Yah, sometime next week me thinks... but it'll be in the evening though.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...