UKC

Training when not climbing-what do you do?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 candy_girl 22 Oct 2013
I boulder indoors 3 times a week and can feel some decent improvement...but I am not doing anything with my off days and am looking for some inspiration?

I want to lose some weight but struggle to run due to mild underlying ITBS so not sure what to do?

What sort of exercises do people do for core and flexibility to help with climbing?

Cheers

knighty 22 Oct 2013
In reply to candy_girl:

Yoga and Pilates are your friends. They are wicked. I did often find though that I couldn't climb as hard the day after a core focussed Pilates class I guess because my abs were still hurting. This isn't a problem if you see climbing indoors as training though
 UKB Shark 22 Oct 2013
In reply to candy_girl:

Sports scientist cure thyself !

Invest in a fingerboard, pullup bar and set of dumbells and I'm sure you can work out or google the rest
 steveriley 22 Oct 2013
In reply to candy_girl:
ITBS is eminently fixable, but find something you enjoy.
andic 22 Oct 2013
In reply to candy_girl:

If I was only interested in climbing I would

Work the push movements to protect from imbalances
A bit of fingerbording
Stretching, massaging and rolling out my muscles and/or yoga/pilates
And a bit of cardio, (it has just come to me but, I wonder if bag workouts would be a good way to improve arm endurance)

1poundSOCKS 22 Oct 2013
In reply to candy_girl: Are your off days just for resting, or do you not want to climb. I have rest days where I just do easy problems, and work on my footwork, body position, etc.
OP candy_girl 22 Oct 2013
In reply to 1poundSOCKS: I have rest days to (hopefully) not get injured (plus the money). Though now have a slight shoulder pain...I'm going to have to invest more time in antagonist training.
Thanks

cb_6 22 Oct 2013
In reply to candy_girl: if you want to lose weight then firstly, some sort of HIIT such as sprints, burpees, or kettlebells are more effective than steady cardio like running and many forms are less high impact (obviously sprinting is still high impact but bike sprints wouldn't be) so less chance of niggling injuries. Secondly, weight loss is 70% diet anyway.

As for other things you can do, kettlebell circuits, yoga as other have said or even hangboarding if you feel your fingers can handle it are all good options.
 1poundSOCKS 22 Oct 2013
In reply to candy_girl: If you go 3 times a week, wouldn't a long term pass (monthly or whatever) be better value? That means you're free to do more frequent, shorter & more intense sessions, which are better if you want to get stronger, rather than stop all night just to get full value for the entrance fee.
 riddle 22 Oct 2013
In reply to candy_girl:

Front Squats for your core.

Dead lift for all round strength.
 Keendan 22 Oct 2013
In reply to candy_girl:

press ups
In reply to candy_girl:

Do some core, maybe sit ups, legs raises, side crunch thingies and dorsal raises.
 Nick_Scots 23 Oct 2013
Advert Workouts

Watching TV when an advert comes on donplanks, side planks, cat stretches etc.
as646 29 Oct 2013
In reply to candy_girl: I've found swimming is an excellent complement to climbing, and it's suitably low impact that you'll be fine even with ITBS.

I swim before work, climb 4 times a week and do judo 3 times a week. I've never been very good at rest days. I'll take a rest day depending on how I feel.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...