UKC

omm 2013

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Tony the Blade 24 Oct 2013
 Simon Caldwell 24 Oct 2013
In reply to Tony the Blade:
Not sure about OK weather - maybe a brief dry period on Saturday morning before the rain arrives (typically, we've got a late start for the first time in years). Our new tent should get a good test on Saturday night!
At least Monday's big storm shouldn't hit us
In reply to Toreador:

Oh dear, late start means all the higher ground pitches will be gone at the camp! Pay someone to reserve you a high pitch.

Banned User 77 24 Oct 2013
In reply to Tony the Blade: Last year day 2 was pretty epic.. great fun, gutted to be missing it.
In reply to IainRUK:
Day 2 last year was perfect for us - low cloud and tricky navigation - we had pour best ever result
That shouldn't be a problem, the early arrivals should have had their tents blown away by the time we get there
Moley 24 Oct 2013
I'm there with a mate, our first OMM which he somehow talked me into as we are local. Having a trundle round the B course, the idea was a simple couple of nice days out, but the forecast looks like it may become "challenging" later - though hopefully not as bad as the photo.
 Tim Sparrow 24 Oct 2013
In reply to Tony the Blade: Heading off on Long Score as usual. aiming to do better than last year - well placed in 9th end of day 1, always better on day 2 (and the clag and weather would have suited us) ..... but found we had left the gas behind! Was sound asleep in my own bed in Mid Wales by midnight!
So, a good Rab behind us again this year, local turf for us both, the gas is taped into the cooking pot ....... must remember to put the tent in

And the pegs.
 london_huddy 25 Oct 2013
In reply to Tim Sparrow:

I'm looking forward to the weather on Sunday - looks sporting.
We're just aiming to finish this year because an injury to my partner forced retirement two years ago and one for me prevented even starting last year. I'm expecting long wet days this weekend!
Moley 25 Oct 2013
Here in Llandovery it's so pleasant at the moment, hard to imagine that it won't be quite so nice by Saturday night and Sunday!
We must pack the correct gear tonight and not be lulled into a sense of false security by the current weather.
I'm getting twitchy now, waiting for my partner to pick me up for an early registration, then home for food, sleep and packing.
My Missus is helping out on registration so she is off soon.
In reply to london_huddy:
> (In reply to Tim Sparrow)
>
> I'm looking forward to the weather on Sunday - looks sporting.
> We're just aiming to finish this year because an injury to my partner forced retirement two years ago and one for me prevented even starting last year. I'm expecting long wet days this weekend!

Very long - one of the things I love about the OMM is that it falls on the weekend that the clocks go back. Just to add (an hour) to the misery of a cold wet night!
 eschaton 25 Oct 2013
In reply to Tony the Blade: if the storm i have just run through travels southwards, or if you have anything like it coming up north from the channel then this years omm will be a bit wild. Todmorden is on the verge of flooding again due to a prodigious amount of rainfall, and i have welts on my arms from the hail (50p sized pieces). have fun.
 london_huddy 27 Oct 2013
In reply to eschaton:

It ended up being OK in thge end. Wet and windy but not too cold and certainly less wild than we had worried it would be.

A long day for us on Sat (7.5hrs) but a short bad weather course today means that the traffic on the way back into London was the worst bit!
 Ali 27 Oct 2013
In reply to london_huddy: Glad you both made it round in one piece - nice work!
TOS 27 Oct 2013

Out of interest, was next year's location mentioned?
 Aly 27 Oct 2013
In reply to london_huddy: What course were you on? I was quite surprised we had to run the bad weather course thismorning, I'd like to know the reasoning behind it as the weather was no worse today than it was on saturday. Perhaps they were worried about river crossings or the forecast was particularly bad?? A great event though, I was just glad we got into camp early after day 1 and managed to get the tent set up in the dry!
 london_huddy 27 Oct 2013
In reply to Aly:

We were D - a very easy day today, the drive back was definitely the hardest part.

Judging from our course and knowing the area a little, I'd guess that the bad weather course decision related to the the river crossings to the W of the area, which would have been very tough in current conditions.

IT was noticeable gustier today than yesterday but nothing too bad...I'm sure the organisers will explain their rationale at some point.

No suggestion of location for 2014 yet.
Moley 28 Oct 2013
Oh well, glad that's done. Somehow we were 31 overall and 2nd vets (B class), leading vets by 3 mins on Saturday night, so had to try hard the following day .....ugh.
Lost the vets by 3 mins in the end - couple of minor navigation errors cost us that. We were also 2nd vets in the handicap - to another even older couple!
OK as we hadn't much clue what to expect and had never seen those mickey mouse Harvey maps before and the fact I can't see anything without glasses.
Feeling somewhat underwhelmed by the whole experience, not sure it's for me but a weekend out.
 Simon Caldwell 28 Oct 2013
In reply to TOS:
> Out of interest, was next year's location mentioned?

One of the marshalls told me Northern England.
 Simon Caldwell 28 Oct 2013
> I'd guess that the bad weather course decision related to the the river crossings to the W of the area

I think it was because they wanted to make sure everyone was off the hill before the properly bad weather arrived. Some forecasts suggested it might get there a lot earlier than it did. I expect Borrowdale 2008 was in the back (or front) of their minds...
 Phil1919 28 Oct 2013
In reply to Toreador: Could be some long legs then.
 Pete Pozman 29 Oct 2013
In reply to Tony the Blade:Saturday was exceptionally long (C). There were a lot of knackered finishers, some taking over 10 hours on that first day. Some organisers said they were expecting the storm at 3.00 pm and they needed to clear the hill before dark, especially with regard to marshals stuck up there in their tents! We still ran 15 miles on the Sunday despite it being a shortened course. They basically shortened it to what it should have been in the first place. I don't expect to cover over 60 K on a C course. Still I'm glad I can still do it!And the whole thing is starting to acquire a rosy glow now. I have to admit though that I was one of the ones who cheered when the bloke came round with his megaphone announcing the foul weather option!
 Simon Caldwell 30 Oct 2013
In reply to Pete Pozman:
We covered more distance than usual on the long score as well - but with correspondingly less ascent.
 Tim Sparrow 31 Oct 2013
In reply to Toreador: Covered 68km total on LS, with 2604m ascent. So fairly long but ascent lowish. (Dartmoor even flatter - covered nearly 82km and 2362m ascent!)
Agree - the C course sounded very long!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...