UKC

Martial arts

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 JasRY 24 Oct 2013
I'm not sure if this is the right area to post this but hear goes, I'm very interested and always have been in martial arts and was wondering if anyone has managed to successfully find the time to combine both training in a form of MA alongside climbing training as well? I realise this may sound a bit odd but I'm just very interested in both areas at the moment. Any bodies thoughts would be appreciated.
cb294 24 Oct 2013
In reply to JYates:

Did competition level judo and started climbing as a second sport to compensate for overtraining. The two sports go together perfectly.

CB
 jimjimjim 24 Oct 2013
In reply to JYates: I train bjj most nights of the week and climb most weekends. When the weather good or bad there's something to do and they both have their fitness benefits. Love them both.
 RockSteady 24 Oct 2013
In reply to JYates:

Personally I found I couldn't sustain a level of climbing that I enjoyed at the same time as sustaining a level of MMA that I enjoyed. I decided to focus and chose to ditch the MMA.

I just couldn't make work, evening climbing training, evening MMA training, weekend climbing and weekend MMA fit into my week!

Will be interested to see what other people come back with, I do miss martial arts.

fire_munki 24 Oct 2013
In reply to RockSteady:
> (In reply to JYates)
>
> Personally I found I couldn't sustain a level of climbing that I enjoyed at the same time as sustaining a level of MMA that I enjoyed. I decided to focus and chose to ditch the MMA.
>
> I just couldn't make work, evening climbing training, evening MMA training, weekend climbing and weekend MMA fit into my week!
>
> Will be interested to see what other people come back with, I do miss martial arts.

Exactly my issue, only time for one obsession and work and gf.
 colina 24 Oct 2013
In reply to JYates: guess its a case of managing your time efficiently ,unfortunately having to go to work messes that up !

Simos 24 Oct 2013
In reply to JYates:

I'd say it depends how much time you have on your hands and what your expectations are - in the past I tried combining 3 different sports but only had time for 3 sessions of 'exercise' a week, which meant training once a week in each.

As an overall exercise/fitness regime, I am sure it was much better to what I do these days (only climbing) but the downside was that once a week was really not enough training for me to progress fast in any of them. Over time I did get better in all of them but people that were focusing exclusively on one and doing say 3 sessions a week progressed much faster.

So I'd say as long as you are prepared to just do both MA and climbing for fun and slower progress in either won't frustrate you, then go for it. If you wanted to really improve as much as you can and you don't have much time, it's probably worth sticking to one main sport and just do the second occasionally as a break.

As an aside, I think it's safe to assume that breaking my jaw and collarbone during Sambo wouldn't have helped my climbing much had I been climbing at the time.
 jimjimjim 24 Oct 2013
In reply to Simos: ^^^what he said. Sambo...now there's a proper no nonsense martial art.
ice.solo 24 Oct 2013
In reply to JYates:

Having done choy lee fut for 16 years id say yes. I also do other forms of training and find its all doable.
Like climbing, after passing thru the initial phase of development and assimilating the style you can shift the pace to work in with other stuff you do.
 jimjimjim 24 Oct 2013
In reply to ice.solo: choy lee fut...now there's a nonsense martial art right there.
ice.solo 25 Oct 2013
In reply to jimjimjim:

really?
 jimjimjim 25 Oct 2013
In reply to ice.solo: yep. Like so many others.
ice.solo 25 Oct 2013
In reply to jimjimjim:

How so?
 mike123 25 Oct 2013
In reply to ice.solo: only one solution i can see here........
 humptydumpty 25 Oct 2013
In reply to mike123:

Dance off?
In reply to JYates: gracie v lee = bruce gets choked out!
 jimjimjim 25 Oct 2013
In reply to cheek to the rock: exactamundo...kung fu isn't even a good striking art.
 Shani 25 Oct 2013
In reply to jimjimjim:
> ...kung fu isn't even a good striking art.

This is naive and wrong.
cb294 25 Oct 2013
In reply to humptydumpty:
> (In reply to mike123)
>
> Dance off?

Celebrity Death Match!

We could have one between Coel and Tim, too.... Philosophical treatises at 12 paces.

CB
 jimjimjim 25 Oct 2013
In reply to Shani: ha...here we go. Would you care to enlighten me?
 Clarence 25 Oct 2013
In reply to JYates:

Ignoring all the bullshit macho posturing...

I trained in Karate and Iaido to competition level (karate that is, Iaidoka don't do comps) and climbed to a reasonable level. In the summer I dropped off a session of MA training for climbing and in the winter I dropped the climbing for the MA training. It took me a little longer to reach the higher grades in the MAs but that isn't a bad thing. I ended up in the mid dan grades and climbing in the very low Es which is about my physical limit no matter how hard I train.

What is it about the martial arts that interests you? No martial art apart from shooting assault rifles or improvising explosive devices is going to make you a killing machine, at best you are going to have a slight advantage against one or two unarmed assailants who are not high or mentally ill. However there are significant advantages to the mental and physical training and a lot of history and tradition that can be very interesting. Many oriental martial arts are said to come from a system of exercises designed to stop meditating monks from getting fat and lazy, the bare fists of twirly death image is just a brucie bonus.
 ring ouzel 25 Oct 2013
In reply to JYates: Bit like Clarence above. I started both kung fu and climbing in 1979 and did both until about 5 years ago. Did a bit of instructing (particularly weapons) and climbed up to E1 and bouldered a bit harder. The main problem for me was living in Surrey and having to travel a fair whack to reach any rock! I felt being flexible helped with my climbing and upper body work helped when fighting (semi-contact and full contact) and climbing. If I had to do it all over again and really wanted to go as far as I could I would probably focus on one thing and that would be kung fu. However I have always been interested in lots of different things so you end up a Jack of all trades and Master of none.
 humptydumpty 25 Oct 2013
In reply to Clarence:
> (In reply to JYates)
>
> What is it about the martial arts that interests you? No martial art apart from shooting assault rifles or improvising explosive devices is going to make you a killing machine, at best you are going to have a slight advantage against one or two unarmed assailants who are not high or mentally ill.

What about Krav Maga? I heard it's better than guns.
 Shani 25 Oct 2013
In reply to jimjimjim:
> (In reply to Shani) ha...here we go. Would you care to enlighten me?

There are multiple styles of kung fu, so to disparge them all with one statement is naive...unless you know most if not all of them.

From my own perspective, the kicks I've learned in my branch of Kung Fu are common across multiple martial arts - front kick, turning kick, side kick, back kick, hook kick, axe kick and the variations of the above (spinning and jumping).

Whilst I know that the average scrote could put me down with a kick, I'd have a much greater fear of a kick from someone who practiced such strikes. A practiced kick is likely to be more skillfully administered, with greater precision, power and speed - and so is likely more effective (and painful for the recipient). Same goes for punching.
 jimjimjim 25 Oct 2013
In reply to Shani: I can't disagree with you there.
 Shani 25 Oct 2013
In reply to jimjimjim:
> (In reply to Shani) I can't disagree with you there.

Hi Jim, There is always a danger that these threads degenerate in to 'my MA is better than your MA'. But there are only so many ways to kick and punch. In a fight you are either striking or grappling. There simply HAVE to be a lot of overlaps with regard to the fundamentals.

I've unashamedly knicked a few kicks from other arts (the Tornado Kick from TKD) and the dragon kick - (the latter I cannot do that well), but all go well towards building a canon of techniques and add fun/variety to training. I won't stop there - given how many fights end up in a standing grapple I intend to do some Judo (Karo Parisyan shows how useful throwing could be in pretty much ending a fight).

The man makes the martial art deadly. Skill can make a VERY unassuming person lethal. We all know this!

Chris
 planetmarshall 25 Oct 2013
In reply to humptydumpty:
>
> What about Krav Maga? I heard it's better than guns.

That's true. I can take out an entire room full of guys with one swing of my mighty member.

Shani 25 Oct 2013
In reply to planetmarshall:
> (In reply to humptydumpty)
> [...]
>
> That's true. I can take out an entire room full of guys with one swing of my mighty member.

Sounds like you could rival this guy: youtube.com/watch?v=giJCL_jhnsE&
OP JasRY 25 Oct 2013
In reply to Clarence:
Ah awesome cool, what school of Iaido did you study? I have practiced both Iaido and kenjutsu in the past, this was all before I took up climbing. I ended up having to stop all forms of exercise due physical injury but was interested in maybe seeing if I could get back to my previous level of climbing, about E1 in summer Grade 4 in winter and maybe practice a martial art as well. For me it would be Aikido as it has history and strong references to sword, also with it being an unarmed and more defensive in nature I find the locks and pins and body mechanics behind them quite fascinating.
I realise I wouldn't be getting to any high grades in either but I was just curious to see how other people have found it doing both sports together. I have enjoyed doing both sports/arts singuly before but just never tried doing both together.
 Clarence 25 Oct 2013
In reply to JYates:

Ah, another Iaidoka! I did Muso Shinden Ryu with Mike Simpson at Sheffield Uni but never got around to grading and when I moved to Sweden for a while I picked up some Muso Jikiden Eishin Ryu. I did a bit of Aikido as well, getting to sankyu but the compliant uke thing bothered me too much and I went back to training exclusively in Wado Ryu Karate. I am not so sure about Aikido, I think I need to find a good school and see what it is really about.
OP JasRY 25 Oct 2013
In reply to Clarence:
Really, I have come across and tried a little of Muso Shinden Ryu. I liked some of the differences but don't know to much details regarding that art. I was primarily Muso Jikiden Eishen Ryu. Alongside Hyoho Niten Ichi Ryu. Both styles I enjoyed as I say all before my climbing. I hear what you are saying with the compliant uke but as you say that would come down to school and also style. I have tried Ki Aikido once before and also Yoshinkan which I think would be, if I did, the one I'd try. We'll see though, as I very much enjoyed the climbing I had done to date!
In reply to jimjimjim: Jim, I agree with you,most fights go to the ground and the art you train in,bjj, is the best ground system.I think the most affective striking art is muiy thia,and i think the wrestler decides when the fight go,s to the ground.For me bjj,muiy thai and wrestling are the 3 arts you should train if you want to compete in the cage and will also serve you best in a street fight.
mgco3 25 Oct 2013
In reply to JYates:

None of the Martial Arts mentioned come anywhere close to the what is internationally recognized as the ultimate fighting style.

youtube.com/watch?v=TJxGi8bizEg&

Sorry kung fu, Karate and taekwondo aficionados,you have been wasting your time.

Watch and weep..
 Kemics 25 Oct 2013
I would agree with Jim that largely Orirental martial arts are fairly useless. That's not to say they can't be extremely effective. But due to the lack of applied contact there are often a lot of rather suspect techniques in with the good ones. The most effective is pr
 Kemics 25 Oct 2013
Part2 (posting on phone with fat fingers)

The most effective in my mind is judo. Though it needs to be backed up with some striking but I've had some serious problems sparring with people with a solid judo background.

I find it hard to balance both climbing and MA (bjj for me) how it tends to work for me is I flip depending on injury: tweaked fingers/elbows: go roll Bjj. Tweaked ribs: go climbing

Most important is do what you enjoy. Fighting is terrifying, even if you win , you'll usually get pretty f*cked too. The 'perfect victory' is the biggest myth in fighting. Learn how to run away

Maybe a bit of boxing. Absolute masters of range and distance. Dodge the first shot and then run away
 Shani 25 Oct 2013
It's pointless debating the best martial art. The best move in any given situation depends on the situation itself and your skill level in the technique you use.

On the street where biting and gouging are also likely to feature, should a fight go to ground, even BJJ may fall short.
 Kemics 25 Oct 2013
In reply to Shani:

Oh totally. I love bjj but it's massively limited. You can't grapple two people. In a street fight Bjj is terrible. You'll tie up the first guy and his mate will kick you in the head. Bad place to be.

However, the whole idea of 'moves' and techniques if very misleading. Fighting is waaay too chaotic for pretty much all ' moves' to work. That's why most 'Kung fu' types systems are so terrible, they require a willing target. Actually grabbing someone's wrist is impossible. As for pressure point strikes; it's hard enough to hit someone in an area as general as the head. Let alone be accurate enough to hit specific nerves.
In reply to Shani: The trick is to cross train..then you know how to bite and gouge too but you also know how to apply a rear naked choke
In reply to Kemics: Dont get me wrong i totaly respect judo...but if you lose the hold during the penertration step,you give your back.I think thats why you dont see many judokas in the ufc can only think of kiro perision and ronda rousey
 Shani 25 Oct 2013
In reply to Kemics:
> (In reply to Shani)
>
> Oh totally. I love bjj but it's massively limited. You can't grapple two people. In a street fight Bjj is terrible. You'll tie up the first guy and his mate will kick you in the head. Bad place to be.
>
> However, the whole idea of 'moves' and techniques if very misleading. Fighting is waaay too chaotic for pretty much all ' moves' to work. That's why most 'Kung fu' types systems are so terrible, they require a willing target. Actually grabbing someone's wrist is impossible. As for pressure point strikes; it's hard enough to hit someone in an area as general as the head. Let alone be accurate enough to hit specific nerves.

Yep, I agree with pretty much all of this and it's why the elements of Kung Fu I focus on are precise kicks (front, side and turning), and a basic punches (hook, jab and uppercut). I get to use these in kickboxing as well.

Being able to throw a punch and slip one as well, gives you a massive advantage over a punter. Add in the ability to strike long range such as a kick to the groin or a turning kivk to just under the ribs, you're well prepared.

Definitely worth adding in a few throws and perhaps some grappling, but getting locked up with an opponent on the streets is bad news.

Oh, and learn to sprint!
 jimjimjim 25 Oct 2013
In reply to cheek to the rock: Sounds like you know your stuff. I'm typing on my phone so ain't going to go into it too much but bjj has proved it self over and over again against any single martial art . As people have said it's not great if you're fighting more than one person but what is? Krav maga seems good for self defense street. I do like sambo too. That's a good mix. Next people will be saying fedor needs to learn some kung fu to add to his game.
Aside from all this, bjj as a sport is awesome. Great fitness and makes you used to getting a good beating which helps in many ways. My top martial art are bjj, greco roman, sambo, judo, mauy tia and boxing. I may of missed a few but most other martial art have not proved themselves in the modern 'lets do it' days.

jimjimjim 25 Oct 2013
In reply to Shani:
> (In reply to Kemics)
> [...]
>
>

> Oh, and learn to sprint!

That's the best self defence there is.
There are lots of situations where it will be just two people fighting. If this were the case would you fancy your chances against a bjj black belt. I wouldn't.
In reply to Shani: If your attacked by a riod head in full rage and coked off his head.Strikes can be ineffective,you would be amazed just how much punishment they can take and just keep on coming.A correctly applyed standing or ground rear naked choke will put you to sleep in about 6 seconds in fact it works quicker if there coked up ha ha
In reply to jimjimjim: I love capoeira theres just something special about it lol
 jimjimjim 25 Oct 2013
In reply to cheek to the rock: its pretty.....
In reply to jimjimjim: I use to do a no gi tourney called ground control at manchester my mate runs it
 Al Doig 25 Oct 2013
In reply to JYates: The question I would ask is what would you want out of your martial arts?
In reply to Al Doig: Its gotta be for fun,im done proving myself.Im more into fighting a route these days.
 jimjimjim 25 Oct 2013
In reply to cheek to the rock: cool. I'm mainly gi when I compete. Fight out of bushido mma Nottingham. Lee Livingston is the main guy there. Bjj black belt and m tia instructor. Its dan hardy's and paul semtex's old gym. There's still some good mma fighter there now.
 Kemics 25 Oct 2013
In reply to cheek to the rock:
> (In reply to Kemics) Dont get me wrong i totaly respect judo...but if you lose the hold during the penertration step,you give your back.I think thats why you dont see many judokas in the ufc can only think of kiro perision and ronda rousey

Hector Lombard! He looks like a killer at 170 too.

I'd think judo is more effective defensively. Gives you an excellent understanding of balance and body manipulation. A lot like Greco. It's nearly impossible to catch them with a Muay Thai clinch, and their trips are fairly handy and don't concede much weakness. I sparred occasionally with a member of a Olympic team in judo. Eye opening stuff. Felt like I was wrestling a lamp post. My wrestling was probably as good as it's ever been. I would drill singles like mad and wouldn't even slow him down.
In reply to jimjimjim: lol ive met him when i was fighting,levo
 nastyned 25 Oct 2013
In reply to JYates: Let's hear stories of actual scraps, not competitions. How's your training worked when it's kicked off?
In reply to jimjimjim: my coach was danny rushton and mat thorpe was my team mate..they both fought hardy
 jimjimjim 25 Oct 2013
In reply to cheek to the rock: yep. Livo....used to be a pretty good mma fighter too...still a grumpy bastard. Haha
In reply to Kemics: yeah hectors a beast forgot about him,i have him down as the next champ
In reply to jimjimjim: i use to talk to semtex,fought on same show as him once,same dressing room with levo cornering him, i think he fought abdul mohammad
 jimjimjim 25 Oct 2013
In reply to cheek to the rock: here we go...some real fighters in the house. Its good to know you're out there. Don't be fooled by my profile pic btw. That's my old climbing buddy not me...I look more like dan henderson. ..
 jimjimjim 25 Oct 2013
In reply to cheek to the rock: think I remember that show.
OP JasRY 25 Oct 2013
In reply to JYates:
Cheers guys you all give a lot of valid comments. The main thing for me is that I enjoy it, practicality on the 'street' is of a completely secondary nature, I do think that BJJ and Muay Thai or great martial arts but due to a leg injury I doubt my legs would put up with the punishment that you'd get with Muay Thai. Having a past already in Jujutsu, Iaido and Kenjutsu I would choose something along those lines. For me there has to be something more in a martial art than just fighting and practicality. The thought of stepping into a ring or a cage just doesn't appeal to me I'm afraid but I do have a healthy respect for those who do.
In reply to Kemics: My mates called chris millward,i trained at same club as him,he was on the british judo squad,he got to fight hector in a tourney,Hes said he threw him around like he was a small child.chris is a right hand full himself,he retiered undefeted in the cage.
In reply to jimjimjim: lol i remeber it.I was kicking sami beriks arse...until he choked me in the greatest come back of all time ha ha ha
 jimjimjim 25 Oct 2013
In reply to cheek to the rock: well I'm a lot better climber climber than fighter so if you ever want a gritstone seminar give me a shout.
 John_Hat 26 Oct 2013
In reply to JYates:
> (In reply to JYates)
> Cheers guys you all give a lot of valid comments. The main thing for me is that I enjoy it, practicality on the 'street' is of a completely secondary nature, I do think that BJJ and Muay Thai or great martial arts but due to a leg injury I doubt my legs would put up with the punishment that you'd get with Muay Thai. Having a past already in Jujutsu, Iaido and Kenjutsu I would choose something along those lines. For me there has to be something more in a martial art than just fighting and practicality. The thought of stepping into a ring or a cage just doesn't appeal to me I'm afraid but I do have a healthy respect for those who do.

After some inital sensible comments this thread appears to have disintegrated into willy waving, so to get it back on track..

Personally I found I couldn't do both Aikido three times a week and climbing three times a week. My body wouldn't/couldn't take it. The problem was that locks in aikido go against joints, often wrists, elbows and shoulders, and obviously climbing stresses the same areas. I was finding a rising level of residual pain and had to cut down.

However Aikido does sound like the kind of martial art you are looking for - its more than just fighting and practicality, its a very mental, thinky martial art, and its (for me important) non-aggressive, self defence.

As to the effectiveness of any martial art I agree with Clarance. In fact, I would go further and say that for self defence joining a running club is far more effective. A mate of mine ran 5 miles home from work every day. Despite her being 5 foot nothing I always considered that if nasty men jumped out with baseball bat she was much more likely to survive than I was.
 Shani 26 Oct 2013
> (In reply to Shani) If your attacked by a riod head in full rage and coked off his head.Strikes can be ineffective,you would be amazed just how much punishment they can take and just keep on coming.A correctly applyed standing or ground rear naked choke will put you to sleep in about 6 seconds in fact it works quicker if there coked up ha ha

Yeah, agreed. But when your nuts are kicked in to the roof of your mouth you are six seconds from dropping! A turning kick at the right angle under the ribs can be devastating. I took such a kick once and it felt like someone had open a can of fizzy drink deep inside me. Couldn't get my breath or anything - and the kick wasn't full force.

Mixing training is obviously a good idea and a decent instructor makes all the difference. Stepping in to the ring taught me that whatever your skill adrenaline can eat your stamina in seconds!

I train with a lot of guys who do Muay Thai (at Wicker Camp, Sheffield), and they all seem to pick up injuries regularly - the same with the BJJ guys, so the one thing I'd say to the OP is bear in mind that rough, hands-on training can negatively impact climbing training - so chose well.
 Choss 26 Oct 2013
In reply to John_Hat:

I keep threatening to start tai chi.

There is a local class, and seems Like it will fit well with Climbing. Fluidity, flow, calm mind, etc.

Anyone else on here do tai chi? How does it go with Climbing?
 John_Hat 26 Oct 2013
In reply to nastyned:
> (In reply to JYates) Let's hear stories of actual scraps, not competitions. How's your training worked when it's kicked off?

I think that one of the most useful things about martial arts in relation to nasty men is knowing when to bail and knowing what situations to avoid. It also gives you confidence, which means you are unlikely to be picked on in the first place, and because you are used to training with human bodies trying to hit you the whole situation of a "fight" is something that bothers you less, mentally, as you are sort of used to it - hence you tend to make decisions more rationally.
 Kemics 26 Oct 2013
In reply to Shani:

That's a very valid point. The injury rate is very high even if you do everything correctly. Everyone who's been training 10 years plus seem to have permanent long term injuries.

I've been relatively lucky but injuries can be very depressing and have accounted for my lowest points. Particularly broken ribs caused me misery for the best part of a year. A

I personally feel aikido is one of the worst McDojo systems. Though I only think that is because it is miss sold. When Ueshiba developed the system he was getting on in life and so it makes sense he favoured a soft approach. However, in his youth he was a monster in (and 8th dan?) in ju jutsu. Which is massively relevant to his success. You need that life time understanding and foundation of aggression to base soft movement upon. If you short cut straight to the end product, it's next to useless. So that's not to say aikido 'doesn't work' I think it's an incredible and effective system. But you need to have been a bad mother f*cker at one time and studied it for 20 years, then it's superb. But for the average person (myself very much included) it's not a way to learn to fight.
 jimjimjim 26 Oct 2013
In reply to John_Hat: he sounds quite well informed to me. No need to talk like that.
 jimjimjim 26 Oct 2013
In reply to jimjimjim: Ah!!! I see you thought better a d deleted your post. Fair play.
 John_Hat 26 Oct 2013
In reply to Kemics:

> "I personally feel aikido is one of the worst McDojo systems."

Excuse the f*cking what?

If your only knowledge of Aikido is Ki-Aikido then I might forgive you your (somewhat insulting?) error, but frankly you really should learn a hell of a lot more about Aikido and and vast, vast amount more about martial arts generally before you make blanket statements like that about Aikido.

I will also admit that - Like Karate and Judo - there are a lot of Dojos and a lot of them are awful.

Ueshiba went through three or four iterations. Yes, what he developed very late in life when he was about to pop his cloggs (commonly known as Ki-Aikido) is a bit strange/odd/useless, but the earlier forms (Yoshinkan and Aikikai) which relate to his pre-war teaching are anything but soft.

Especially Yoshinkan.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yoshinkan
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aikikai

Neither are very far from ju-jitsu, and there's a strong element of aiki-jitsu in both.

Please, please don't ever walk into a Yoshinkan Dojo and say "Aikido is one of the worst McDojo Systems" if you value, well, anything.
 John_Hat 26 Oct 2013
In reply to jimjimjim:
> (In reply to John_Hat) he sounds quite well informed to me. No need to talk like that.

Nope, he's not. He has a little bit of knowledge, and has used that little bit of knowledge to insult an entire system.

jimjimjim 26 Oct 2013
In reply to John_Hat: oh dear....
 John_Hat 26 Oct 2013
In reply to jimjimjim:
> (In reply to John_Hat) oh dear....

Compared with the original that was quite polite.

Actually me and Numpty do agree to a certain point, in that the system developed by O-Sensei in the last stages of his life (Ki-Aikido) was a bit strange and didn't appear to work for anyone but him. This echoes the point made by our friend.

The mistake he has made is to assume that *all* aikido dojos are based on Ki-Aikido, whereas there are many, many tens of thousands of people worldwide - including myself since 1997 - studying the earlier, "harder" forms of aikido.

Hence a comment saying that "Aikido is one of the worst forms of McDojo" is

a) a blanket statement and very incorrect
b) going to annoy people.

So basically, whilst Numpty does know a bit, he doesn't know a lot, and shouldn't shoot his mouth off until he's done a lot more studying.

Also, generally ,you don't insult other martial arts, whatever you might think of them. It's extremely impolite.

Most martial arts have something to give to the practicioner, and to write off a system based on little knowledge is foolish - especially when what you are purporting to give is advice on something you don't know much about.
 jimjimjim 26 Oct 2013
In reply to John_Hat: he said that he 'personally feels'....which he's quite entitled to do. I think your responses were more insulting in general. Which you're quite entitled to be.
 Kemics 26 Oct 2013
In reply to John_Hat:

I'm sorry I didn't mean to offend. I did say aikido was superb, but only that its rewards take a very long term to pay out on.

I would never profess to be an expert at martial arts. I also would never wander into schools and insult them. However, I think it's interesting you think people would respond with anger. In my general experience, the better trained the person, the more calm and friendly they become. Some of the nicest people I know are utter savages

I've done a fair bit of cross training so was basing it only on my experience. Part of training was always to check other schools and systems. I did a little aikido and aiki-jitsu and didn't feel they were particularly effective. I'm extremely wary of any system that requires you to grab or catch a punch.

Although i train bjj and mma I don't want to say that it is the be all and end all. But I do think competition makes for an interesting barometer of the effectivess of techniques. People generally want to win and the hybridisation means that any technique that works, is used. It's interesting that afaik, no one has ever used aikido in a mma bout. In the end though, it's all just tools in the box. There's no such thing as 'bad martial arts' only bad martial artists. If it works for you, that's brilliant. I'm sorry if I insulted you.
 Kemics 26 Oct 2013
I think the outrage stems from my use of ''mcdojo' otherwise I thought my post was quite flattering of aikido. I should say by 'mcdojo' I didn't mean to write-off the whole system (see the rest of my post) but in terms of ratio of people who practise aikido and effective martial artists is quite slim. That's not to say they don't exist

This of course is just my limited experience. But I learnt the hard way. I got shodan in a traditional martial art. Thought it meant, that although not an expert, I must have a certain proficiency. I was very wrong. I started boxing, got lit up. Started bjj and got strangled like a child

jimjimjim 26 Oct 2013
In reply to Kemics:
> I started boxing, got lit up. Started bjj and got strangled like a child

It's amazing how many people come through the door at our gym who say they trained such'n'such martial art, black belt this and dan that, only to be smacked in the face when we live spar then get dragged to the ground and choked out rather quickly.
 Shani 26 Oct 2013
In reply to jimjimjim:
> (In reply to Kemics)
> [...]
>
> It's amazing how many people come through the door at our gym who say they trained such'n'such martial art, black belt this and dan that, only to be smacked in the face when we live spar then get dragged to the ground and choked out rather quickly.

But then on the street, a vanilla BJJ take-down would be met with thumbs in the eyes....you've got to pick the right tool for the job.
 MonkeyPuzzle 26 Oct 2013
In reply to Choss:

I only did tai chi for a year and found it very complimentary. Seeing as learning the initial forms is done at such a slow speed, your flexibility and balance are called into play throughout. Word of warning though: progression can seem slooooow, which is what did for me in the end, but if you've got ten years' patience, you can learn some beautiful forms.
 Kemics 26 Oct 2013
In reply to jimjimjim:
> (In reply to Kemics)
> [...]
>
> It's amazing how many people come through the door at our gym who say they trained such'n'such martial art, black belt this and dan that, only to be smacked in the face when we live spar then get dragged to the ground and choked out rather quickly.

Absolutely! The problem is largely the lack of contact. If you've never put on head gear and mitts and actually sparred you'll be so overwhelmed. My first sparring was hilarious. Went out, touched gloves, I threw a left, got blasted with a power double, arm triangle, all over with plenty of change from 20 seconds :P
 jimjimjim 26 Oct 2013
In reply to Kemics: What also makes me laugh is the people that say 'well on the street I poke your eye' or 'I'd hit you in the balls'. These people have no idea of the reality of a real fight. Bas Rutten talks at lenght with joe rogan about this. And if anyone knows about street fights and pro fights is Bas. 'Ok....you try and poke me in the eye...but if you do I'll break you neck'. I know which one I'd chose.
Peace and love people. Xx
 Kemics 26 Oct 2013
In reply to jimjimjim:

Do you listen to the JRE podcast?

Bas is a legend! (In the very literal sense) love his bar fighting tutorials dangadanga hilarious
 jimjimjim 26 Oct 2013
In reply to Kemics: yeah...that's where I heard it. 'Oh I'm sorry....no I'm not dangadadang'
 Kemics 26 Oct 2013
In reply to John_Hat:

if you have a spare 13 mins - youtube.com/watch?v=GeA__6aVkK0&

This says it far better and funnier than I. If you have a spare 13 mins
 Shani 26 Oct 2013
In reply to jimjimjim:
> (In reply to Kemics) What also makes me laugh is the people that say 'well on the street I poke your eye' or 'I'd hit you in the balls'. These people have no idea of the reality of a real fight. Bas Rutten talks at lenght with joe rogan about this. And if anyone knows about street fights and pro fights is Bas. 'Ok....you try and poke me in the eye...but if you do I'll break you neck'. I know which one I'd chose.
> Peace and love people. Xx

I agree with this, but you wouldn't go in to a fight with that idea - however should you see an opportunity then you take it. Plenty of timeouts have been called in the ring and the cage due to the effects of a groin strike.
 jimjimjim 26 Oct 2013
In reply to Shani: that's obvious. Of course you'd take any opportunity but if that fails it's good to know you can hit them with the one two or slap a rnc on or triangle their lights out. There are thousands of street fights on youtube and I've yet to see a single one where a poke, bite or ball shot has ended it. There's loads where simple boxing or bjj/wrestling ends it. Have a look.
 Shani 26 Oct 2013
In reply to jimjimjim:
> (In reply to Shani) that's obvious. Of course you'd take any opportunity but if that fails it's good to know you can hit them with the one two or slap a rnc on or triangle their lights out. There are thousands of street fights on youtube and I've yet to see a single one where a poke, bite or ball shot has ended it. There's loads where simple boxing or bjj/wrestling ends it. Have a look.

I agree. You'll see from my posts above that I advocate mastering a few basics very well (kicks, punches and some ability to roll should it go to ground).
 jimjimjim 26 Oct 2013
In reply to Shani: well that's it then, we agree. May it never happen. thread over
 Shani 26 Oct 2013
In reply to jimjimjim:

Yep!
mgco3 26 Oct 2013
In reply to JYates:

The only two martial arts moves you ever need to know are:-

The kikiminthenuts

and

the runlikefuk

In reply to jimjimjim: Might take you up on that,if ever im round that neck of the woods mate
 pcummins60 26 Oct 2013
In reply to JYates:It is never too late! I took up climbing and Krav Maga, almost at the same time, about two years ago. I have found that despite my age (and also running twice a week), I have been able to train and improve my personal performance in both disciplines. I must add that my development has been slow compared to others who tend to specialize in one discipline but I am nonetheless happy with my achievements to date.
 Clarence 27 Oct 2013
In reply to JYates:

Now that peace has broken out it is time for a bit of Ameri-Do-Te...

http://www.youtube.com/user/EnterTheDojoShow
 nastyned 27 Oct 2013
In reply to Clarence: Excellent!
cb294 27 Oct 2013
In reply to Clarence:

How to choose a martial art, advice from the master:

youtube.com/watch?v=2uJqW9O6aW0&
cb294 27 Oct 2013
In reply to several posters:

Judo and MMA:

I guess the main reason you don't find many Judoka in MMA is that we have a well organized competition system and and in many countries even a multi-tiered league structure.
In addition, most of us consider what we do a sport (with the Olympics as the pinnacle of competition) rather than a self defence system or martial art. Application on "the street" doesn't even come into it.

CB
 Shani 27 Oct 2013
LLAP-Goch ... the Secret Welsh ART of SELF DEFENCE that requires NO INTELLIGENCE, STRENGTH or PHYSICAL courage:

http://www.llapgoch.org.uk/
 Thrudge 27 Oct 2013
In reply to Shani:
Yep, always been impressed by the more esoteric Welsh arts. Traditional English fighting forms aren't to be sniffed at, either:

youtube.com/watch?v=V8wxwqtRgSk&
 Shani 27 Oct 2013
In reply to Tony Naylor:
> (In reply to Shani)
> Yep, always been impressed by the more esoteric Welsh arts. Traditional English fighting forms aren't to be sniffed at, either:
>
> youtube.com/watch?v=V8wxwqtRgSk&

Excellent!
 Clarence 27 Oct 2013
In reply to Tony Naylor:

"I wanna see some windmilling in..." has become a standard put-down for fighters who telegraph or flare the elbows. Classic.
In reply to cb294: Maybe it's becasue you get paid so well for being on the olympic squad in this country,Whats the point in stepping in the cage with the chance of becoming a rich u.f.c fighter with millions of screaming fans
cb294 27 Oct 2013

I understand that, but the point is that if you do Judo seriously you have to commit to an amateur (semi pro at best) mindset very early in your career. I started training at five years of age, by the time I could have considered switching to MMA (which didn´t even exist back then in the form it has today), this was strongly set in.

In addition, "fighting" in Judo very clearly is not fighting or self defence, but competing at a sport under a very tight rule set.

CB
In reply to cb294: Free style wrestling is just the same in my book,but yet wrestler's dominated for a while in the ufc
 Ramblin dave 27 Oct 2013
In reply to Al Doig:
> (In reply to JYates) The question I would ask is what would you want out of your martial arts?

Yes, this. And to be honest, if you get in fights in Real Life (tm) often enough that two or three nights of training a week offers a good return on the time invested on a purely practical level then you might be better off wondering what you're doing that makes so many people want to punch you in the face.

At the OP: you might want to look at Shodokan Aikido if you can find a class nearby. It basically uses the usual aikido range of locking and pushing / striking techniques but with a slightly contrived but fully resistant competitive sparring thing, which means that if someone tells you that grabbing someone's arm like this and twisting like that will make them fall over no matter how hard they push back, you'll get the chance to try it on everyone from the big brawny newbie who tenses up and pushes back really hard to the wily expert who knows how to relax and bend with it and try to turn out of it. In my limited experience there didn't seem to be much pretense that this gives you super deadly street fighting techniques or anything (your opponent can try to resist your technique, but they can't just smack you one or anything), but I like the roughly empirical approach of checking whether your techniques work and if not trying to work out why not, and the feedback loop between developing techniques in a non-resistant setting and testing it in a resistant setting.
 jules699 27 Oct 2013
In reply to JYates: Although not a martial art per say; I think tai chi compliments climbing v well - teaches you to stay relaxed whilst being conscious of precise body movement...
 Shani 29 Oct 2013

Bloody hell - that looked pretty brutal. Interesting though that the techniques thrown were predominantly the same as you'd get in other striking martial arts - bar the knee strikes. That could easily have been a fight between two kickboxers.

This goes back to the points above about mastering a few basic strikes effectively, and throwing them appropriately when the opportunity arises.
 paul mitchell 01 Nov 2013
In reply to JYates: I'd recommend any teacher of tai chi that teaches it both as meditation and as self defence.

It is very good for balance ,timing and coordination.There are both fast and slow sequences.

if you are into grit problems that need balance and timing,tryt tai chi.

Judo is excellent for grip strength and core strength,as well as fitness,but being slammed into the mat can leave you dizzy.

Any good martial arts teacher will be able to break down a sequence into individual elements,especially regarding balance.

I had a great tai chi female teacher in Sheff,but unfortunately she migrated.Ditto an old woman in Japan,but I had to come bnack to UK for family reasons.

Now living near Manchester I may take it up again,as there is a big tai chi community there.

In my view,tai chi is superior to all the other martial arts.Those arts excel when they adopt tai chi principles,which are based more on mind than on techniques.

Mitch
In reply to paul mitchell:
> (In reply to JYates) I'd recommend any teacher of tai chi that teaches it both as meditation and as self defence.
>
> It is very good for balance ,timing and coordination.There are both fast and slow sequences.
>
> if you are into grit problems that need balance and timing,tryt tai chi.
>

I have just read that Lou Reed died whilst doing Tai Chi. It is clearly very dangerous.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...