UKC

Sleeping bag for the tall-ish (and how warm?)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Hello,

I'm looking for a down sleeping bag for winter bothies and summer alpine bivies. I've been looking at the mountain equipment glacier 750 and there are two options, the normal version which suits a maximum height of 185cm or the 'xl' version which suits those up to 200cm in height. Now I am pretty much exactly 185cm, so wasn't sure whether the normal version would be quite big enough. Does anyone else of a similar stature have any experience with this?

Also, is 750 fill about right for the uses that I stated above? I haven't been out in these conditions so don't really know what I need.

Thanks in advance!

David
 TobyA 27 Oct 2013
In reply to David Kirsfelds: Can't say anything about that bag specifically but the ME bag I tested last winter http://www.ukclimbing.com/gear/review.php?id=5328 seemed really long to me compared to other brands. For example Marmot say their standard bags fit up to 6 foot, so 183 cms and the ME bag looks laid down on the floor 10 cms longer than the Marmot bag I have. So I think you'll be OK if you are 185 and the bag says fits to 185.

Best thing of course is go to a shop and lie in one! Or at least pick an internet shop where returns and swaps aren't too expensive.

I've found the comfort limit ratings now used with CE standard very good, so if ME says the bag you're interested in is good to -12, then I'd trust it to that. I would imagine for scottish winter nights that's plenty particularly if you're bothying.
 oliverk 27 Oct 2013
In reply to David Kirsfelds:

Hi,

I'm about 186cm and have the standard length mountain equipment dewline. It just about fits, but couldn't get away with being any smaller.

Ollie
In reply to David Kirsfelds: thanks for the replies. Couldn't get away with being any smaller Oliver or would you prefer the bigger bag? They are only on offer online today so I might buy both and send one back...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...