UKC

Road tyre with durable side walls?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Batcloud 28 Oct 2013
Just discovered my inner-tube bulging out of a tear in the side wall, 2nd time this has happened to tyres with minimal wear!

Conti 4000's, great for puncture resistance but not so good elsewhere!

Maybe I've just been unlucky but any recommendations for something a bit stronger?

Cheers
 LastBoyScout 28 Oct 2013
In reply to Batcloud:

Sounds more like an issue with your brake blocks and a wheel that isn't true.
OP Batcloud 28 Oct 2013
In reply to LastBoyScout:

??

No, both tears were not close to the rim.
 Andrew W 28 Oct 2013
In reply to Batcloud: Gatorskin hardshell are good but not the most confidence inspiring on wet roads.
 nniff 28 Oct 2013
In reply to Batcloud:

I think it's the potholes - catch the sidewall on the edge of one and you're doomed. I've lost a Michelin Pro4 to one and have a Conti Gatorskin that's looking a bit sorry for itself too. Don't think there's any way around a sliced or grated sidewall*. One of those things I'm afraid

*except emigrating to somewhere with nice EU-funded tarmac and no frost
OP Batcloud 28 Oct 2013
In reply to nniff:
> (In reply to Batcloud)
>
> I think it's the potholes -
I think you're right, the 1st was definitely a pothole - 2nd time out for the new tyre!
>
> *except emigrating to somewhere with nice EU-funded tarmac and no frost
Funny you should say that, I'm working on it. The roads of Spain are hugely better, not to mention the lack of traffic!
 LastBoyScout 28 Oct 2013
In reply to Batcloud:

Fair enough - not something I've ever experienced, which is surprising given the state of the roads around here.

Last pothole I hit properly cost me a wheel when it split the rim!
 andy 29 Oct 2013
In reply to Batcloud: conti gps 4 seasions? Got them on my winter/crap weather bike - more puncture resistance than gos4000 but lighter than a gatorskin. Run 23 on the front and 25 on the back.
OP Batcloud 30 Oct 2013
In reply to andy:

I've ordered a Gatorskin Hardshell (not too worried about the weight) so we'll see how that goes?

Thanks for the replies
 VisionSet 31 Oct 2013
In reply to Batcloud: All contis have minimal sidewalls, I have a penchant for rubbly lanes, so use Michelin, try this brand, you won't look back. Even the race tyres ('Pro' models) are tough as nails, but for performance winter / tour use I use what they used to call Krylion and now call Pro 4 Endurance. These are quite high end selections. If you want cheaper try Schwalbe Blizzard (folding or wired) though I got a load of foldings for £6.50 a pop from PX recently. Tough as old boots, a great general training tyre.
MarkM 31 Oct 2013
In reply to Batcloud:

On a related note - having experienced similar this year with a newish GP4000 I now carry a Park tyre boot patch in my kit in case of a repeat.
Much more confidence in being able to get home !

Cheers
Mark
 steev 31 Oct 2013
In reply to MarkM:

Same effect can be had using a bit of tootpaste tube or moisturiser squeezer.

OP Batcloud 01 Nov 2013
In reply to steev:

Received the Gatorskin Hardshell now, side-walls definitely seem more substantial than normal so fingers crossed.

Thanks for suggestions, will try Michelin in the future.

I always carry a 'tyre boot' but won't buy another one! (Thanks Steev)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...