UKC

New Mountain Training hill and mountain skills courses

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Tom Daniel 29 Oct 2013
http://www.mountain-training.org/hill-and-mt-skills

I have just seen an announcement about this, i had no idea that MT were expanding into this area away from providing just leadership/instructor awards. Does anyone have any other information about this?

My first thoughts upon seeing it were, who can run the courses? and are we going to see similar things rolled out within climbing e.g. a mountain training endorsed start climbing or learn to lead skills course?

Anyone have any thoughts?

(apologies if there is another thread on this i had a quick look but couldn't find anything)
 richprideaux 29 Oct 2013
In reply to Tom Daniel:

It could either be a way of ensuring minimum standards of training delivery, or it could be another way of putting the award provider in competition with its own customers...

We shall see. I suspect that membership of the MTA will be a requirement.
 jezb1 29 Oct 2013
In reply to Tom Daniel: More info being released soon...

Seems like a good idea, hopefully being better than the NNAS stuff.

Interested in becoming a provider myself.
 AlH 29 Oct 2013
In reply to Tom Daniel: I believe these will not be dissimilar to the 2 tier scheme that BOS and MTNI have run for some time. http://www.mountaineering.ie/TrainingAndSafety/ClubTrainingAndMountainSkill...
 AlH 29 Oct 2013
In reply to Tom Daniel: And from the horses mouth (Bryn Williams) "the course is a stand alone attendance course so there is no assessment or measure of competence, and is simply intended to be a national scheme structured to inspire and educate new hill walkers. It will not replace personal experience needed to undertake the ML scheme. We'll be uploading information on how to become a Provider within the next week or so, and I'm already pleased to see the positive response. Cheers, Bryn (MTUK Exec Officer)."
 richprideaux 29 Oct 2013
In reply to AlH:

Thanks for that info
 JohnnyW 30 Oct 2013
In reply to Tom Daniel:

Excellent. I have long thought this would be a good move, as I felt there was gap between the basic training available and the ML course.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...