UKC

Montane Prism

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 AdCo82 30 Oct 2013
As a lightweight piece of insulation, how do you rate them?

What is the dwr like on them or what are they like when wet?
 mattrm 30 Oct 2013
In reply to An Triubhas:

They're excellent. Even when totally sopping they still add a fair amount of warmth. The DWR wore off on mine a while back (it's about 4 years old now tho) but when it was new it was fine. Best jacket I own by miles.
OP AdCo82 30 Oct 2013
In reply to mattrm:

Thanking you. You not thought about re proofing it?

Does it pack down fairly small?
 BnB 30 Oct 2013
In reply to An Triubhas: It's a classic. And only £80 or £90 if you shop around. Perfect weight for all year round use in UK conditions. Packs down into its own pocket. How small do you want?
 mattrm 30 Oct 2013
In reply to An Triubhas:
> (In reply to mattrm)
>
> Thanking you. You not thought about re proofing it?
>
> Does it pack down fairly small?

Yeah, pretty small. It goes into it's own pocket.

I've never thought of re-proofing it, never felt that I've needed to.

thedatastream 30 Oct 2013
In reply to An Triubhas: I've got the gilet and like it. Thinking about getting the jacket this winter!
 Ron Walker 30 Oct 2013
In reply to An Triubhas:

It's light and warm, packs small and works really well as a waterproof!
Actually it works better as a waterproof than do many waterproofs, you can over layer or underlayer it, or do whatever and it works!!!
It's probably the one bit of kit I'll carry with me for everything from shopping, travel or going to the hills. Highly recommended...

Cheers Ron
 AlH 30 Oct 2013
In reply to An Triubhas: What Ron said. I had two of the MkIs and the Mk 2is my 'go to' every day jacket. DWR wore of years ago but I don't expect a pertex outer insulated soft shell to keep me dry in Scotland- if its that wet the hardshell goes on, if its damp I'm still warm. I've worn it over 200 days and its waring well and the hood is better than most of my hard-shells over a helmet by a country mile. The only time I don't take it in the hills is on really fine still days. Any possibility of a wind and its in the bag. Best jacket I've owned.
 lithos 30 Oct 2013
In reply to AlH:

i just wis they use primalft one instead of eco to squeeze more performance
out of it. I guess its a price thing
In reply to An Triubhas:

I have the original version, 25gms fill. I find it excells as a mid layer, considerably warmer under a shell than on it's own without.

My go to piece about town too!

Stuart
 AlH 30 Oct 2013
In reply to lithos: Agreed
andymac 30 Oct 2013
In reply to An Triubhas:

Excellent hood.

Almost time for me to get another one.

Excellent value for money.

Same can be said for the entire Montane range.

due 30 Oct 2013
In reply to An Triubhas:

Just to be controversial...hood doesn't work if you're tall
 AlH 30 Oct 2013
In reply to due: i'm 6ft 1 but maybe have a shorter body/neck?
 wilkesley 31 Oct 2013
In reply to AlH:

Thread hijack alert. How does it compare to the Rab Generator? I have got one of the original Generator smocks. However, after three years of hard wear it's starting to come apart.

I have got a Prism gilet, which I am very happy with. I am looking to replace my Generator, for which I originally paid £60. However, the new version s now around £120, so the Prism is significantly cheaper.
 Fraser 31 Oct 2013
In reply to wilkesley:

I was going to chip in earlier re the Generator. Best bit of kit I think I've ever owned. Mine has had daily abuse for about 18 months now and is still the dog's. It felt more comfortable on than the Prism, which I also tried, so much so that I hardly feel I'm wearing it. Better sleeve length for me too, so it was a no-brainer, despite being a bit more expensive. It's incredibly warm, packs away to nothing and is still 'waterproof-ish'.
snoopdawg 31 Oct 2013
In reply to An Triubhas: Owned a prism now for about 5yrs. Excellent piece of kit that keeps me warm wet or dry.Only thing I would change on the design would be to lower the pockets.

Use mine mainly April/May months and when there's a bit of frost I get the Montane Flux out, now that is a bit of kit!
 Ron Walker 31 Oct 2013
In reply to wilkesley:
> (In reply to AlH)
>
> Thread hijack alert. How does it compare to the Rab Generator? I have got one of the original Generator smocks. However, after three years of hard wear it's starting to come apart.
>
> I have got a Prism gilet, which I am very happy with. I am looking to replace my Generator, for which I originally paid £60. However, the new version s now around £120, so the Prism is significantly cheaper.

The Generator is much warmer with I think 100g primaloft so better as an emergency warm layer or full on winter belay jacket. I have the smock and have survived a number of bivis in the Alps wearing it and have used it for snowholing.
I also picked up a cheap Generator gilet and that works well for a packable core warm layer and for going to the shops!
I have the original Prism 1 which is lighter and more packable than the Prism 2, though it's no where near as warm.
The Prism 2 has two layers of insulation on the front compared to the older Prism 1 and is a lot warmer throughout.
I found the old Prism 1 to be too cold for a winter climbing jacket and more a Summer, Spring jacket. However I do use the newer Prism 2 for a winter climbing belay jacket especially on easier stuff that I can move fairly quickly on, as it packs small and light.
Other than the thickness of the Primaloft insulation and the resulting warmth, the Prism 1, 2 and the Generator are pretty similar or at least have similar properties!!!
 don macb 31 Oct 2013
In reply to An Triubhas:

i too have been using one for about 5 years and it really is very useful in all sorts of different applications and at different times of year, from city, to camp, to hill walk, to winter climb.

interesting that folk mention liking the hood: for me, it's not ideal and i'm a short arse. i can't get it over a helmet comfortably and i like to put my hood up and down while switching between active and inactive (so under helmet hood jobs don't suit unless it's a thin baselayer hood).

still, i conclude that it has proven to be £50 very well spent (cheers, urban rock). mind you- i would have thought the flux would be better for most folk. i bought one for the wife and it has much better fill... she runs colder than me. i guess that's another thread.

featherweight, simple, surprisingly warm and the pertex micro looks undamaged despite years of use (while the DWR is indeed looooooong gone).

looks stupid on me though, but montane cuts were never designed to look street, init...
 Nathan Adam 31 Oct 2013
In reply to An Triubhas: Prism is a brilliant jacket, works well in all seasons. I run pretty warm so find it fine for belaying in rather than as a mid-layer unless its really wild. Its not what everyone would call a "belay" jacket though.

Don't expect the material to do well against rough rock, mines came away from one Cuillin mixed route with holes all over. That said it was easy enough to glue the rips and not have to worry about the insulation. I was lucky enough to get mine for £40 !
 don macb 31 Oct 2013
In reply to Nath93:
> (In reply to An Triubhas)
>
> Don't expect the material to do well against rough rock, mines came away from one Cuillin mixed route with holes all over...

true enough: i haven't done any rough rock thrutching in mine, so the pertx micro hasn't taken the kind of kicking that your's has. worth bearing in mind for the OP if he plans to do that kind of climbing in the prism.

L.A. 02 Nov 2013
Just a heads up that the Outdoor Shop have a few of the black ones left at £75 this weekend(with free postage)
altirando 02 Nov 2013
In reply to L.A.: Bought one today for £90 less 15% at Go Outdoors, steel colour with red lining. They also have blue versions.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...