UKC

NEW REVIEW: Montane Torque 40 rucksack

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC Gear 30 Oct 2013
Torque 40 (right) on Kilimanjaro, 4 kbPaul Lewis checks out the features and comfort of Montane's versatile alpine, winter and cragging sack

'Everything has its place and works efficiently...'

Read more at http://www.ukclimbing.com/gear/review.php?id=5891

martinph78 30 Oct 2013
In reply to UKC Gear: I have found the Medusa (made of the same fabrics) to be very hard wearing. I have also found, like you, that it isn't as weatherproof as it could be. During heavy or prolonged rain I find that everything in the lid (and underside pocket) gets soaked and eventually stuff in the main compartment gets damp.
 Plungeman 31 Oct 2013
In reply to UKC Gear:

I'd be interested to know how common the term 'alpine safe' is for an axe stowing technique (see the blurb)?

It's a good review and a very nice bag, but I did have to go direct to montane to find out what they were talking about as none of my mates or staff in the local shops knew either!

Brighter colours would be nice too...
 IoanTataru 31 Oct 2013
In reply to UKC Gear: I have the same lid closure buckle system on my rope bag and it's a pain to use in the sun at the base of the crag. Frozen fingers with gloves on and and a lid full of snow ... i'm wondering.

It does "look" more "technical" and durable, but i have yet to break a plastic buckle on an expensive backpack (low cost ones is a different story) and if after 5-6 years of abuse it does break then you can easily buy a replacement.
 steveshaking 02 Nov 2013
In reply to IoanTataru:
I imagine this is a dead topic.
But ... the Lowe Alpine sacs have this buckle and I find its very easy to use with and without gloves on. The plastic buckles I have on a blue ice pack are a pain as its hard to squeeze them with gloves on, especially if the temps are low making the plastic stiffer, but the space you squeeze is just a bit too small.
On the other hand Alpkit use similar metal buckles on pads and they are a pain because of the lip design which adds security but means you have to guide the nylon over it each time - a 2 handed faff. So I guess in the end it comes down to design detail with metal or plastic buckles - I can't speak for the Montane design.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...