UKC

Rock climbing travels Southeast Asia

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
lady jane 31 Oct 2013
Hi everyone, I am new to the forum and don't know if I have put this in the correct area. Basically me and my partner are looking at going traveling for about 2years from March around southeast Asia climbing as much as possible. I lead outdoors 6a+, my partner 7a+ and we do prefer tufa climbing. What I am hoping is that people on here have some information on where the best places to go are and at what times of the year and are kind enough as to give us some advice. We have already been given some information on China with the possibility of working out there but would gladly welcome all suggestions. Thank you in advance Sarah
 jack_44 31 Oct 2013
In reply to lady jane:
Asia Outdoors on Cat Ba in Ha Long Bay.
 Jonny2vests 31 Oct 2013
In reply to lady jane:

Thailand is a bit of a tufa paradise. Tonsai in Krabi is where most go. Also check out Koh Lao Liang which is a small island about a day's travel from Tonsai. Both are good at your grade range.

I went around Christmas, which is peak season, hot during the day, but bearable, not too much rain. You can always find shady rock if you need to or just siesta if its really hot. Brilliant DWS, like jumping into a bath.

Not climbed elsewhere in SE Asia, but I hear Vietnam has lots to offer.
 danmullett 01 Nov 2013
In reply to lady jane:

thakek in laos. greenclimbershome.com .beautiful place and some great super steep climbing, at the lower grades, you will not beleive the territory you allowed to go through at 6b.also if you havent been to south east asia you will find find laos infintely more chilled out and lovely than thailand, especially that ruined paradise tonsai.
theres also an awsome climbing camp north of bangkok, really easy to reach a pleasant train ride, right in the jungle with great climbing and a wild zipline appraoch to the crag. well worth checking out.Nam Pha Pa Yai Camp it is called and is worth visiting for the food alone.
 1234None 01 Nov 2013
In reply to danmullett:
> (In reply to lady jane)
>
> ... if you havent been to south east asia you will find find laos infintely more chilled out and lovely than thailand, especially that ruined paradise tonsai.

I agree Tonsai is pretty spoilt nowadays but it's be a shame to miss out on some of the amazing climbing in both Tonsai and Railay, especially at the grades the OP mentions! The multi-pitch 7a-7b+ sport routes on the Thaiwand, Monitor, Cat Wall etc have to be some of the best in the world.

That's not even mentioning Koh Yao Noi, which is probably "where it's at" in the Thai climbing scene right now....totally beautiful, unspoilt and amazing climbing.

papashango 01 Nov 2013
In reply to lady jane:

Vietman DWS, incredible! We spend 9 days living on a boat in the bay, organised through asia outdoors. Also went to Thailand and China but Vietnam was my favourite for climbing by miles.
 Coops_13 01 Nov 2013
In reply to 1234None: I think it's best to go to Tonsai in our summer (their monsoon season) I was there for three weeks in September. Much quieter, rained a lot but I climbed everyday as most things stayed dry
 1234None 02 Nov 2013
In reply to Ross.Cooper:
> (In reply to PeakDJ) I think it's best to go to Tonsai in our summer (their monsoon season) I was there for three weeks in September. Much quieter, rained a lot but I climbed everyday as most things stayed dry

If you just want to stay in Tonsai and climb then that'd work, but going in summer rules out Koh Lao Liang (a must do!). It is also more difficult to arrange DWS groups in summer. Koh Yao is also easier in high season as the dirt road to the Paradise resort is dry (much easier on a scooter!) and there are more frequent boats going out to Grateful wall. These days, there is much more to the climbing in the Krabi area than Tonsai and Railay...

lady jane 05 Nov 2013
I just wanna say big thank you to everyone who has replied to my questions. We definitely want to climb in as many different places as possible to fully get the best experiences out of our travels. We will be starting off in China staying there hopefully (visa dependent as you can only stay for 3mths at a time) for 6mths before we head off to Vietnam, Laos, Thailand, Cambodia and keep on moving till we get to Indonesia. There are so many places to climb and you have all given us some places to go see and the rock looks amazing!! Any more information that people can give us for traveling (this is the first time we have done it) will again be much appreciated .
 1234None 15 Nov 2013
In reply to lady jane:

If you are anywhere near Zhejiang province while you are in China and want to check out the local climbing get in touch. I live in Fuyang, a "small" city here, with some climbing within an hour of here....

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...