UKC

A wintry day in the north-west

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Heavy snow showers last night and today. A fair dusting by dark on the Beinn Dearg group, the Fannichs and An Teallach. About -2 on the top of Sgurr Mor but a lot colder in the strong gusty wind.
Snow showers should carry on throughout tonight and into tomorrow. Looks a bit calmer up here on Saturday , Sunday and Monday- so the chance of some at least cosmetically wintry hills over the weekend. An Teallach traverse could be interesting!
 Cuthbert 31 Oct 2013
In reply to The Watch of Barrisdale:
It looked good from the plane on the way to SYY
 BnB 01 Nov 2013
In reply to Saor Alba: Very wet and wild here on Skye. Just about possible to walk at sea level yesterday. My son and I have a stupid plan to hike in Glen Shiel today up one of the Munros. Might just have to settle for one of the local red Cuillin instead.
 Joe G 01 Nov 2013
In reply to Saor Alba:
SYY? Never heard of it - I had to google it... And there's no Y in Steornabhagh anyway!
 JohnnyW 01 Nov 2013

On my way up straight after work - Slioch planned Sat, then who knows for Sun.

Kinlochewe will seem a long way away at 5pm when I set off mind......
 Cuthbert 01 Nov 2013
In reply to Joe G:

Or Innis nan Dàmh. Have a good time
 Fat Bumbly2 01 Nov 2013
In reply to Joe G: There is no Y in Vancouver either (YVR), nor are there any Rs or Ds in Chicago.

How come Canada bagsied all the Y codes?
 droberts 02 Nov 2013
In reply to The Watch of Barrisdale: anyone know of the conditions on tower ridge? im guessing this weekend will change the conditions significantly looking at the forecast
 Joak 02 Nov 2013
In reply to droberts: The upper half gnarly and nasty I would think, also very dark if you're conservative with speed.
 JamesRoddie 02 Nov 2013

There's quite a good dusting in the Northern Corries this morning, though not very much rime around. There were a few teams heading in with tools, be interesting to see what/if they climbed.
Weather broke down much earlier than forecast. 3 centigrade with sleet just above Gairloch , raining steadily at sea level. Snowing on the tops. Monday looks like the(only)good day this coming week. ECMWF Atlantic charts showing a steady rollercoaster of Lows for the next 7-10 days.
 BnB 02 Nov 2013
In reply to The Watch of Barrisdale: Heaps of snow in Kintail today. Family outing to the top of A' Ghlas Bheinn turned into a bit of an epic in the snow and high winds. Great fun was had.
 droberts 02 Nov 2013
In reply to The Watch of Barrisdale: might have a wonder up there on Monday then!will keep a close eye on the conditions
andymac 02 Nov 2013

Ben Nevis was quite interesting

Had to abort at about 1200m

Danger of a whiteout and worsening about 1 o clock.

Got the hell out of it ,like everyone else.
 euanw 02 Nov 2013

I was out in the Northern Corries today scrambling. We didn't use ice axe or crampons although if the weather continues tonight as it was today they could be useful.

The turf was not frozen at any level. There are some photos on the climbnow.co.uk blog.
 James Edwards 02 Nov 2013
In reply to euanw:
Lots of snow up high on Ben Wyvis north of inverness today, less so over west on An Teallach where I was. Started raining a cold rain at 3pm in the west and didn't stop. This will be falling as snow on the tops and things should look much whiter in the morning when I go back over.
I doubt anything is decently frozen but it looks nice.
James e
 ablackett 02 Nov 2013
In reply to The Watch of Barrisdale: Good amount of snow fell on Aonach Eagach today. There has been snow laying above 1000m on the hills south of Glen Coe for a few days.
 Joak 03 Nov 2013
In reply to The Watch of Barrisdale: A very nice wintry day in the mid west doing a circuit of Ben Lui's snowy Coire Gaothach. Bright and breezy to start, heavy snow showers, spindrift and temporary whiteout midway, with a long landrover track trudge back to Dalrigh to finish.
 peter.herd 04 Nov 2013
In reply to The Watch of Barrisdale: Aonach Eagach was indeed very white on saturday - great fun
 Joe G 04 Nov 2013
In reply to Saor Alba:
> (In reply to Joe G)
>
> Or Innis nan Dàmh. Have a good time

Hey, I'm being stalked!

Aye, it was a cracking weekend, quite wintery. Plenty snow visible from Speyside today, time to dig out the skis methinks
 droberts 04 Nov 2013
In reply to The Watch of Barrisdale: lots of snow on the North face of the Ben today.nothing consolidated yet and turf wasn't frozen until 1000m or so!great day out all the same
 John Kelly 04 Nov 2013
In reply to euanw:

scrambling in snow without crampons or axes - loving it

could this be the way forward for vulnerable areas or when out of condition - of course we may all have to sacrifice a few of grades (tricky)

Herman Buhl's Nanga Parbat Pilgrimage gives some pretty inspirational accounts of rock climbing in less than perfect conditions

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...