UKC

A Cheddar via ferrata?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 David Rose 02 Nov 2013
Over at UKCaving.com, there's been some discussion on the future of Cheddar Gorge, and the Longleat proposal to build a cable car. One or two contributors to the discussion have suggested that one way to increase visitor numbers, which have been declining, would be to develop a via ferrata there.

My hunch is that climbers would not be very happy about this. But I could be wrong. What do people think?
 The Pylon King 02 Nov 2013
In reply to davidoldfart:

No.
 Run_Ross_Run 02 Nov 2013

Sounds great.
 deepstar 02 Nov 2013
 ledifer 03 Nov 2013
In reply to deepstar:
I've never been to Cheddar gorge but it's on the to do list. Either way I can't comment on the suitability of the site but I'd love a via ferrata in the South West. Would be awesome to give it a go
 ericinbristol 03 Nov 2013

What a hideous thought. Imagine lines of rungs and cables all over High Rock. Oh dear.
 beardy mike 03 Nov 2013
In reply to ledifer: really? The place for via ferratas is in the dolomites within an historic context. I don't say that from some moral high ground, but simply because the VFs in italy were put there for a reason, and it lends great authenticity and are utterly uncontrived. They are genuinely a great way to see the mountains. At cheddar that simply wouldn't be the case, especially in some mucky quarry, although if they had to do it they should do it in a quarry. There are plenty of ways to see the awesomeness of cheddar without resorting to a vastly intrusive installation which would change the gorges atmosphere to its very core.
 Choss 03 Nov 2013
In reply to ledifer:

The south west already has a via feratta.

Simanon direct at cheesewring

7;^)

alan moore 03 Nov 2013
In reply to Choss:
....and Pink Wall Traverse.
 Choss 03 Nov 2013
In reply to alan moore:

And the descent at the end of Berry Head quarry.
 Michael Hood 03 Nov 2013
In reply to ericinbristol: High Rock would make a good French style via ferrata.

Too bad there's climbs all over it

Maybe the same justification could be used as for putting sports routes in trad areas, which has been done in the SW at many places including of course - Cheddar.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...