UKC

SAIS Torridon reports

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Apologies if this has been posted already, but SAIS are to run a trial this winter for Torridon. Posts will be for weekends and holiday periods like Christtmas/ New Year. For details go to BBC Scotland website - Highlands and Islands section.

Ed: See news here http://www.ukclimbing.com/news/item.php?id=68488
In reply to The Watch of Barrisdale:
PS full details obviously on SAIS website
 Simon Yearsley 06 Nov 2013
In reply to The Watch of Barrisdale: That's an excellent idea. Who do we need to thank?
In reply to Simon Yearsley:
On SAIS Torridon website blog today for first time- this gives full details. Not sure who locally will be doing the work. Starts 24 December
PS nice photo on the blog - snow amounts on Liathach/Beinn Eighe are now like this as of today
In reply to Simon Yearsley:
> (In reply to The Watch of Barrisdale) That's an excellent idea. Who do we need to thank?

+1. Conditions can be totally different in NW to the areas S of the Great Glen. Who's got that job, then? Sounds ace!

BelleVedere 06 Nov 2013

good news - as this is the most fun area. Unfortunately i generally have midweek days off and work weekends - but hopefully it'll roll out to include us 'midweekers' next year.
 Richard Baynes 07 Nov 2013
In reply to BelleVedere: I'm not sure that an expansion of SAIS wouldn't be better to take in the Southern Highlands. Most people extrapolate from the Glen Coe forecast, but there can be differences between there and south of Rannoch Moor, and the Bridge of Orchy hills are very popular/accessible for climbing, along with Arrochar, and for walkers the Munros north of Loch Lomond, and Ben Lawers etc. I am sure there's a logic in there but I'd like to hear it... Not here for an argument, just asking, like.
 Michael Gordon 07 Nov 2013
In reply to Richard Baynes:

Harder to get conditions reports for the NW!
 peter.herd 07 Nov 2013
In reply to The Watch of Barrisdale: Not to sound too negative, but i think the north west has a certain allure in the winter that appeals to those willing to 'go and look', owing to it's popularity and lack of specific snow condition reports/blogs. It makes it all a bit more adventurous, isolated and for me always more appealing. People will realise with detailed snow info that there is indeed stuff to be done up there throughout the season without relying on the guides blogs to let them know poachers in in march - essentially im waffling to no conclusion but am interested to see if Beinn Eighe becomes much more popular early season or more people climb on An Teallach/Beinn Dearg without previous confirmation from blogs.
 Richard Baynes 07 Nov 2013
In reply to Michael Gordon:
> (In reply to Richard Baynes)
>
> Harder to get conditions reports for the NW!
Yep so this will provide conditions reports but the SAIS service is about providing climbers with the tools to get out safely and if you want to serve the maximum number of climbers and enhance the safety of the most people it would seem sensible to provide SAIS reports for one of the most popular areas. I did ask Mark Diggins about this when he was talking about it a couple of years ago and I can't remember what he said, but it can't have been a brilliant point otherwise it would have stuck - or I have a shit memory, which is also possible. Mark?
 James Edwards 08 Nov 2013
In reply to peter.herd:
Is the NW to most people Liathach / Beinn Eighe? This is probably the busiest spot so it would make sense to cencentrate forces there.

It really isnt rocket science to work out condidions in these places and it is easier than ever due to various webcams / temp stations / blogs etc.

Dont think that the SAIS is going to walk the Fisherfield six on a daily basis so the allure will probably be preserved.

Perhaps this will relieve the tension on the more honey pot areas, although perhaps the NW rescue teams will be busier as a result? Time will tell, but i think that on the whole it is a very good thing.

James e
 Siward 08 Nov 2013
In reply to James Edwards: Surely its not the case that the NW is less of a honeypot area just because of a lack of conditions reports? Folk who want to go up there will likely do so anyhow. More do do with being further to travel for most people methinks.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...