UKC

Scotland v France

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 nik king 07 Nov 2013
Can't make my mind up. Can Scotland pull off an unlikely victory over France and tempt me and the kids on a skiing trip? Is Scotland Rocky and France Apollo Creed? Seen loads of Creed but only heard mysterious rumours of Rocky. Who's your money on?
 DaveHK 07 Nov 2013
In reply to nik king:

Rocky was the outsider that came up with the goods but he was unpredictable. On his day though he could beat the best. The short odds will always be on Creed but you know he'll give a reliable performance.

Rocky was at his best as the underdog. Once he got a bit of success he started demanding fees like Creed and just couldn't live up to expectation.

Have you considered Drago?
Kipper 07 Nov 2013
In reply to nik king:

Rocky is as the name suggests, but also expensive, limited and pretty shit in comparison really.
OP nik king 07 Nov 2013
In reply to DaveHK:
> (In reply to nik king)
>
>
> Have you considered Drago?

I have. Powerfull looking and should be a good bet in maybe 4 years time. Should be able to demolish Rocky but...

However I'm still recovering from a brutal tustle I had with his Bulgarian cousin a few years ago so this time out its Creed or Rocky

vark 08 Nov 2013
In reply to nik king:
Pretty much guaranteed snow and a good chance of sunshine or Scotland?
I know where I'm going.
 John Ww 08 Nov 2013
In reply to nik king:

It's a bit like asking who you would rather snog - Ens Sharples or (insert name of your hottest woman).

Basically, you're comparing a turd with a diamond.

(Mind you, skiing in France is shite compared to skiing in Austria).

HTH, JW
 Cuthbert 08 Nov 2013
In reply to John Ww:

It's actually excellent and living in the Highlands you have the best of both worlds. You appear to have the worst of both worlds.
 franksnb 08 Nov 2013
In reply to nik king:piste skiing in scotland is disappointing for intermediates and onwards imo. off piste i can't help you with.
 John Ww 08 Nov 2013
In reply to Saor Alba:

I won't bore you with my trials and tribulations of skiing in Scotland, but believe me, I do actually have the background and experience to be able to give an informed opinion.
 Cuthbert 08 Nov 2013
In reply to John Ww:

Me too and abroad. See you on Sunday!
 John Ww 08 Nov 2013
In reply to Saor Alba:

Not while I have my strength!

Cuthbert 11 Nov 2013
In reply to John Ww:

The skiing was great yesterday with blue skies, no wind and sunshine.

How was Huddersfield?
 Erik B 11 Nov 2013
In reply to John Ww: you need to be a good skier to get the most out of Scotland
 AG 11 Nov 2013
In reply to Saor Alba: It was a great weekend, snow and weather were great. ... touring looked good on the plateau but after a heavy fri night , i opted to take the train! .
 Cuthbert 11 Nov 2013
In reply to AG:

It looked quite bony I thought although I see a few went down to Loch Athfhinn (Loch A'an) and said it was good where you chose your line.
 John Ww 11 Nov 2013
In reply to Saor Alba:

Beautiful - not a cloud in sight, clear blue skies, wall to wall sunshine, and fantastic autumnal colours! All in all, a fabulous day for 27 holes of golf.

ps - I've just looked at the Piztal webcams - loads of snow already falling, perfect build up for a fortnight's off-piste at Christmas.
 Cuthbert 11 Nov 2013
In reply to John Ww:

Sounds good. I am off to Tignes on the 14th of December so should be good. Looking forward to a few months on my doorstep as well.
 John Ww 11 Nov 2013
In reply to Erik B:

Thanks for your kind advice, I'll bear it in mind.

(oh hang on, I've already filed it under "dick")

JW x
 John Ww 11 Nov 2013
In reply to Saor Alba:

Hope you have a good time, enjoy yourself in France (and don't wince too much at the beer bill).

JW
OP nik king 12 Nov 2013
In reply to Got a job rob:
Have to say, looks amazing! Only thing is I'm not sure its a true representation of the predominant weather. I told the kids we might be on for Scotland and they shivered on the spot, then suggested surfing in the Canaries.
 AG 13 Nov 2013
In reply to nik king: you'd be surprised, i've had so many good days here but yes you never know what the weather has in store.
moffatross 13 Nov 2013
In reply to John Ww:
> (In reply to nik king)

> Basically, you're comparing a turd with a diamond.
>
> (Mind you, skiing in France is shite compared to skiing in Austria).
>
> HTH, JW

I skied 35 days last season, including a week in France and a week in Austria. Those were both great weeks but I skied many more total days in Scotland that were better.

And of course it helps to live close enough to pick and choose your days but I still can't understand some of the UKC members attitudes to Scottish skiing. Do they only climb in the Alps ?
 DaveHK 13 Nov 2013
In reply to moffatross:
> (In reply to John W)
> [...]
>
> [...]
>
> And of course it helps to live close enough to pick and choose your days

Its ALL about that. If you've got to book a family skiing hol months in advance you'd be nuts to go for Scotland. Also, Scotland only really shines in the backcountry. If you want to ski on piste or lift accessed off piste you're not going to see the best of Scotland.

John Ww 14 Nov 2013
In reply to moffatross:

> I still can't understand some of the UKC members attitudes to Scottish skiing.

That's ok, I still can't understand some of the UK's Scottish members to Scotland!
 Jonny2vests 14 Nov 2013
In reply to moffatross:
> (In reply to John W)
> [...]
>
> [...]
>
> I skied 35 days last season, including a week in France and a week in Austria. Those were both great weeks but I skied many more total days in Scotland that were better.
>
> And of course it helps to live close enough to pick and choose your days but I still can't understand some of the UKC members attitudes to Scottish skiing.

If I lived there or near, I would ski there. It's local snow for local people, booking anything more than a weekend if you're from further south is admirable and foolish in equal measure.
 John Ww 14 Nov 2013
In reply to Jonny2vests:

Just checked on Google maps - even from West Yorkshire, it's a six hour (minimum) drive to Aviemore, and approximately £70 in petrol each way.

Alternatively, I can get to Manchester airport in 40 minutes, get a 90 minute flight to the Alps for £42 each way, and be in St Anton in an hour and a half from Friedrichshafen airport.

Not really a contest, is it?
 Cuthbert 14 Nov 2013
In reply to John Ww:

You are right, it's not a contest as the two are different. Making it compete is pointless.

You appear to have the worst of both worlds having to travel a long way to get any skiing. Alps are reliable but miles away and expensive and Scotland miles away and less reliable.

If you live locally to skiing in Scotland then you have the best of both worlds and it's not much hassle getting to Glasgow or Edinburgh for a flight abroad. And there are now flights from Inverness to GVA also.

The outcome of this is that many living close by will have great days skiing locally, such as on Sunday, and great days abroad.

You have Huddersfield
 John Ww 14 Nov 2013
In reply to Saor Alba:

> You are right, it's not a contest as the two are different. Making it is pointless.

Indeed - but that's what the OP was asking for.

> Alps are reliable but miles away and expensive and Scotland miles away and less reliable.

And Scotland is equally expensive

> You have Huddersfield

That, sir was below the belt - you should be ashamed of yourself!

JW ;-(

Doug88 14 Nov 2013
In reply to nik king:
Everyone I talk to has the same story about scottish skiing, "I remember that one time, I went up there and got perfect weather AND perfect snow conditions!" The missed point is that out of god knows how many seasons they only remember "that one time".

Instead of going to the scottish hills 5 times this season, I'll be banking that cash and going to the alps for a single long weekend.
 Cuthbert 14 Nov 2013
In reply to John Ww:

This is another myth. We can say with 100% certainty that Scotland is not equally expensive. Go to Aviemore or Fort William and the prices are way lower than France or Swtzerland to eat out. And you don't have to fly either.

The point I am making is that Scottish skiing is great, not just it's convenience, but the skiing itself.

Skiing in the Alps is also great but different. I like both.

Of course if you limit yourself to the piste then you get even less out of it but that is more what sort of skier you are, not where you do it.
 Scomuir 14 Nov 2013
In reply to Doug88:
> (In reply to nik king)
> Everyone I talk to has the same story about scottish skiing, "I remember that one time, I went up there and got perfect weather AND perfect snow conditions!" The missed point is that out of god knows how many seasons they only remember "that one time".

Maybe you should start chatting to folk who are capable of understanding weather forecasts. That way you can get a lot of skiing in when the weather and snow is good
Haggis Trap 14 Nov 2013
If I lived in southern England then I would probably just ski infrequently in the alps too..... It must really suck being so far from mountains

Luckily however I have ski resorts 2hrs drive from my house and can make the most of it when conditions + weather turn good.

AG 14 Nov 2013
I had around 25 days skiing in scotland last season and a week in the alps (visiting relatives). If theres good snow but it's too windy for the mountains i'll go cross- country skiing in the forest (there's a few of places now cut tracks), if it's poor vis then i'll ski on piste, if not then i'm off touring. I've probably had more sunny days with good snow in the last 2/3 years than in the last 10 ...must have just picked the right days....being an hour from the closet ski area helps.
 Webster 14 Nov 2013
In reply to Jonny2vests: I have spent most of my life skiing in scotland (i grew up and lived in swindon - very much "down south"). i wouldnt change it for the world, yes scotish skiing is an aquired taste, but it is brilliant! true booking a weeks holliday to scotland for skiing months in advance woule be utterly foolish, but leaving a week open to the potential (say feb half term) and then booking much nearer the time when you have an idea of conditions is a perfectly sensible choice (which is what we have always done). unlike travelling to the alps etc this incures no extra cost verses booking early. Besides there is so much more to do than just ski if you go to sctoland and conditions arent great, whereas if you go on a weeks skiing holliday to the alps and there is no snow you just end up with a weeks drinking very expensive drinks! and it seams that whenever i go on a weeks pre-booked ski holliday to the alps, conditions are always better that week in scotland anyway!
Shearwater 14 Nov 2013
In reply to John Ww:
> Just checked on Google maps - even from West Yorkshire, it's a six hour (minimum) drive to Aviemore, and approximately £70 in petrol each way.

It isn't necessarily all bad. I'm even further from the Cairngorms than you are, so driving isn't at all practical. On the other hand, I can get a sleeper train up one night after work, get out the next morning at a whole bunch of places with potentially interesting touring, squeeze in a day or two of skiing and when I get back home my work is 15 minutes walk from the station.

There's a lot less stress potential there than there is with airport transfers and baggage allowances. The snow train to france tends to be much more expensive, and there's the occasional cross-paris transfer to contend with...
 Cuthbert 14 Nov 2013
In reply to Shearwater:

Don't say that! I am getting the train to Bourg St Maurice in December. Inverness to London on sleeper, walk to St Pancras, Eurostar to Paris, metro to Gare de Lyon, TGV to Chambery, local train to Bourg St Maurice. I'll have skis and a big bag with me
Shearwater 14 Nov 2013
In reply to Saor Alba:
Good luck with that
 Jonny2vests 14 Nov 2013
In reply to Webster:

Yeah, I've skied in Scotland and had a great time, love the place. And I'm impressed with your sustained week long efforts all the way from Swindon.
Cammyammy 16 Nov 2013
If your local to scottish skiing then it can be brilliant as when the weekend comes throw your kit in the car and an hour later your skiing, and having a great time doing it!

Some photos from last spring, we had almost a month of this!!

https://fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/528430_1020115673298...

https://scontent-a-lhr.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash2/388742_10201156816707614_1...

https://scontent-b-lhr.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/58827_10201156816627612_19...

Or even sneak in some touring after work.
https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/s720x720/5421_102011...

I can understand why folk from further afield don't think its worth the effort. But on its day it can be beautiful, and even in between those brilliant days there is a lot of fun to be had.
Me personally, I love it. On paper maybe I shouldn't, but I just do. Please don't be snow snobs and write it off.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...