UKC

XS - the actual article

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Choss 08 Nov 2013
Heres the actual article by john redHead. I think its worth reading it in its own Right away From the whole JR/DP kerfuffle.

I Thought it was a good read, and chimed with me.

http://footlesscrow.blogspot.co.uk/2013/11/xs-essence-of-trad-plea-and.html...
 Chris H 08 Nov 2013
In reply to Choss: Very entertaining - almost any part of it could be randomly extracted and put into Pseuds Corner (I think JR has made regular appearances here before) and yet some thought provoking concepts.

Some contradictory ideas on rock memory - the Spanish presumably limestone has recorded human events
" Whatever happened, I’d like to think, is recorded in the rocks, like compressed data on a silica chip? "

whilst the Cloggy rhyolite "Do you think Cloggy gives a ‘falling f*ck’ if you are sexy or not?" appears to lack this ability.

"it has been over twenty years since we have climbed together. It may as well have been two minutes." This is what I have experienced sometimes and is really quite remarkable.
 The Pylon King 08 Nov 2013
In reply to Choss:

A very good article. I like JR!
 MonkeyPuzzle 08 Nov 2013
In reply to Choss:

It all got a bit 'wordy' ten paragraphs in - can anyone summarise?
 The Pylon King 08 Nov 2013
In reply to MonkeyPuzzle:
> (In reply to Choss)
>
> It all got a bit 'wordy' ten paragraphs in - can anyone summarise?

Yeah basically he is saying that he reckons Sophie Ellis-Bexter has a good chance of winning Strictly this year, but only if she sorts her flicks and kicks out.
Clauso 08 Nov 2013
In reply to Choss:

If you read that article backwards, it exhorts you to worship Satan.
 MonkeyPuzzle 08 Nov 2013
In reply to The Pylon King:
> (In reply to MonkeyPuzzle)
> [...]
>
> Yeah basically he is saying that he reckons Sophie Ellis-Bexter has a good chance of winning Strictly this year, but only if she sorts her flicks and kicks out.

Yeah, when I stopped reading it seemed to be going in that direction. Sensible article.
 Thrudge 08 Nov 2013
In reply to Clauso:
> If you read that article backwards, it exhorts you to worship Satan.

Weird. I've heard if you play Black Sabbath records forwards, they're all about death and Satan, too.
 GrahamD 08 Nov 2013
In reply to Chris H:

> Some contradictory ideas on rock memory - the Spanish presumably limestone has recorded human events

French Catalunya - if they had remembered anything is probably the memory of the Cathars in the 13th century.
 Jonny2vests 08 Nov 2013
In reply to Choss:

JR will always live in the shadow of JD, whether it be cragging, or talking bollox.
 Franco Cookson 08 Nov 2013
In reply to Jonny2vests:

Not in the Moors. Nor in the hearts of anyone who understands climbing.
 The New NickB 08 Nov 2013
In reply to Franco Cookson:
> (In reply to Jonny2vests)
>
> Not in the Moors. Nor in the hearts of anyone who understands climbing.

I'm usually a defender of yours Franco, but bollox!
 Jonny2vests 08 Nov 2013
In reply to The New NickB:

I was going to let him have the first bit actually. He is quite good at bollox.
 David Alcock 08 Nov 2013
In reply to Franco Cookson: Ditto. JR made the point once - can't remember the source without my books - that a VS climber embarking on an E1 is just the same as your top folks pushing E7 to E9. He comes (bad choice of word) over to me as a well grounded bloke, and I for one have found the petty anonymous character assassination pretty dispiriting.

Climbing is a broad church. That is its beauty. I vaguely know both John/ny people. One lives on my street. Ballet is a different niche to the visual arts. All the versions of creativity embodied in death defying feats of ascent should be celebrated and also held up to the ridicule they deserve.

Enough of the bitching. Get on and get out there. Preferably with the rope clove-hitched to your balls. I won't dwell on the ramifications of making that last statement non-sexist.
 ripper 08 Nov 2013
In reply to Tony Naylor:
> (In reply to Darren Jackson)
> [...]
>
> Weird. I've heard if you play Black Sabbath records forwards, they're all about death and Satan, too.

You play a country & western record backwards, your wife comes back and your dog un-dies
 Jonny2vests 08 Nov 2013
In reply to David Alcock:
> Enough of the bitching. Get on and get out there. Preferably with the rope clove-hitched to your balls. I won't dwell on the ramifications of making that last statement non-sexist.

I think you're taking it waaay too seriously. Maybe go and have a play on a space hopper.
 David Alcock 08 Nov 2013
In reply to Jonny2vests: Boing. Damn, just bit my tongue off. And there's a hole in my cheek.
 malk 09 Nov 2013
In reply to Choss: interesting read-chimes with me as well-reminded me of julian cope
 felt 09 Nov 2013
In reply to malk:

Reminds me of De Kooning lost in some milky cave.
 Jonny2vests 09 Nov 2013
In reply to David Alcock:
> (In reply to Jonny2vests) Boing. Damn, just bit my tongue off. And there's a hole in my cheek.

I did actually laugh out loud when I read that.
 Timmd 09 Nov 2013
In reply to Jonny2vests:
> (In reply to Choss)
>
> JR will always live in the shadow of JD, whether it be cragging, or talking bollox.

I prefer Dawes's take on things than Redhead's though, to me it seems less arrogant and more heartfelt.

Jonny2vests 09 Nov 2013
In reply to Timmd:

Yeah, that's what I said(!).

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...