UKC

PRODUCT NEWS: DMM Rhino Locking Carabiner

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC Gear 12 Nov 2013
DMM Rhino Screwgate Carabiner, 3 kb

It's time to reconsider which locking carabiner you use for belaying. The 'new kid on the block' is the DMM Rhino, a sophisticated belay biner with a range of innovative features, such as the distinctive spine 'horn' and carefully rounded top bar. These subtle design features ensure outstanding handling qualities, increased safety and impressive wear resistance.

Read more at http://www.ukclimbing.com/gear/news.php?id=5912
 Coel Hellier 12 Nov 2013
In reply to UKC Gear:

Looks good. A question about design philosophy, given that this is primarily a belay carabiner, why not build into it one of those devices for stopping it flipping round?
 Tony & Sarah 12 Nov 2013
In reply to UKC Gear: We have been using this karabiner since July, our only criticism is the weight, The wear has been negligible (we normally manage to trash the DMM Sentinel karabiners in less than 6 months) We normally belay and abseil with an ATC but have used several types of semi-automatic belay devices.
We both think the karabiner is quite excellent.

Tony & Sarah Whitehouse
 NearlyDutchDan 12 Nov 2013
In reply to Tony & Sarah:

wow - you trash a biner in 6months? How much climbing do you do?

D.
 Ciderslider 12 Nov 2013
In reply to UKC Gear: Just started using one of these with my gri gri seems to work ok

And I like having the horn
In reply to NearlyDutchDan:
> wow - you trash a biner in 6months? How much climbing do you do?

They probably do more than pretty much anyone else in the country, at least if they are still climbing as much as last time I saw them in Pembroke.
 andrewmc 13 Nov 2013
In reply to Coel Hellier:
> (In reply to UKC Gear)
>
> Looks good. A question about design philosophy, given that this is primarily a belay carabiner, why not build into it one of those devices for stopping it flipping round?

It does have one of those devices, when used with assisted braking devices like the grigri (which is what it was designed for). The spikey bit stop such devices moving around the crab (as does the screwgate, presumably).

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...