UKC

Climbing after Spinal Surgery

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Andy Lagan 13 Nov 2013
Hi, there was an earlier thread to this question http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?t=506021 , however, has anyone recently had experience with returning to climbing after Spinal Surgery follow a vertebrae fracture?
I had my my D12-L4 fused in August after a fall. I have my final scan next week, and starting to feel normal again. Any advice on a pathway back to climbing would be really appreciated,
Thanks,
Andy
 steve taylor 13 Nov 2013
In reply to Andy Lagan:

Hi Andy - I avoided the operation myself and went for more physio (McKenzie Stretches worked really well for me). It's helped a lot as I can now climb a bit again (except for highball bouldering). I'm still in pain, but have become more "aware" of what's good and what's not so have avoided regressing back to my initial state. I'm also continuing all of the exercises prescribed last year.

Good luck with the recovery - take it easy though and stick to top-roping for a while so that you can just let go if you get any twinges.
 jon 13 Nov 2013
In reply to Andy Lagan:

I can't help, sorry, but I'm interested in how you feel now - you say you feel normal - how's your flexibility for instance? Any pain? How would it feel wearing a harness and hanging in it? Any nerve problems? There's a chance I might have to have a couple fused,, though a little lower than yours, hence my interest.
Cheers.
 Levi 13 Nov 2013
In reply to Andy Lagan: Hi Andy,
Back pain can be so debilitating and can make you feel vulnerable when taking any exercise. Old before your time really. I've not had vertebrae fractured or fused but had 3 significant disc issues including a herniated disc. Puts tooth ache into perspective. As I recovered from the first operation in my 20s I was reading a climbing magazine as the surgeon did his rounds. "You can forget about that" he voiced. When I realised he meant forever I was genuinely shocked. It didn't last long and I managed to get out surfing 2 weeks later. I remember the salt water stinging the wound. Of course that was silly but shows what you can do. Over the years I've found climbing therapeutic and actually good for my back. Using your arms takes the weight off your back, a whole range of back muscles are exercised and it gets you to stretch out rather than holding in a bunched stance constantly to protect from pain. Best to avoid jumping (no highball)or lifting too big a weight particularly if any leverage involved. Eventually the pain can start to feel like an old friend and sometimes you even miss it when it goes away. Sometimes medical professionals don't quite understand what's involved when you go climbing. I'd advise: do your exercise, steady as she goes but get back into gentle climbing (avoiding above) sooner rather than later. And get used to having your new friend around.
 John H Bull 13 Nov 2013
In reply to Levi:
I'd second most of that - I've been managing a torn lower disc plus compressed adjacent discs for about 15 years, though I've not pursued surgery as an option. I quit running and squash, took up swimming and ab exercises, got some co-codamol in for those bad days, and started to sit properly (monitor at head height, lumbar rolls for seats, etc etc.). I got a fat bouldering mat and kept climbing. I have to avoid big sacs, hanging stances, and undercutting too hard or I can go into spasm and then I'm out for weeks (but that can happen for any number of other reasons too - last time it happened a sneeze while bending over f*cked me up for a week. It'e then I think about opting for surgery!).
 wilkesley 13 Nov 2013
In reply to John H Bull:

I fractured a vertebra in a climbing accident in 1978. I ended up having to lie on my back for 5 weeks in hospital. It took me about a year to get back to "normal", although I was able to do most activities after a couple of months.

I still need to be very careful about jumping off things. It doesn't hurt when I land, but the next day my back will be very stiff and quite painful.
OP Andy Lagan 13 Nov 2013
In reply to jon:
Hi Jon,
I had my surgery in Grenoble CHU, by Dr Chabardes., and I highly recommend him. I fragmented my L2 in a fall on the Dru, and the procedure was done to stabilize the vertebrae so the fracture could repair.
I could walk around almost straight away I think it was day 3 after surgery I was instructed not to be in a sitting position for 6 weeks, which I adhered to. I also fractured my ankle and dislocated my shoulder, so getting around was a bit difficult for the first 2-3 weeks, my walking gait was a bit lopsided.
The past few months have been mainly spent horizontal, but literally everyday there is a sense of progress back to normal physical strength. At first I thought that days of freeride skiing might be over, but now I'm feeling strong and confident that I should be back to the same condition I was before the accident.
I have had no complications, thanks mainly to a strong core and general physical condition prior to the accident, and of course not smoking or drinking, and being able to rest a lot.
I've started to build up my core strength and being doing a bunch of physio recently, walking loads and a bit of canoeing.
My flexiblity now is 90% before the accident. I can sit cross-legged, make long reaches, and the only restriction I notice is trying to put my socks on.
I helped out with putting up a gutter on a roof during the weekend, and the next day had more restriction than normal, but today I feel great.
Most importantly, I have never had any pain since the first days after the operation.
I would be happy to sit in a harness today!, but I'm going to wait for my scan next week before making a start on climbing again, and definitely only easy big jug stuff.
My operating surgeon stated no sport for 6 months. In saying that, a friend had fusion much high up his spine and was top rope soloing 6 weeks post surgery and leading 6b on alpine routes 3 months post surgery, however, although hearing that was really inspirational, I wasn't happy to personally take that path.

I hope this explains things for you. I imagine that if you are considering surgery then perhaps you have a herniated disc, so I guess there are differences in our own situations, but I would say that I cannot believe that Spinal surgery could have gone so easily and that 3 months afterwards I would be feeling so good.
If there is anything else you need to know please feel free to get in touch.
Andy
 jon 13 Nov 2013
In reply to Andy Lagan:

What a great reply - thanks for taking the time! No, not a herniated disc, but it seems a nerve is trapped where it radiates out from L4-L5. I saw a surgeon last week in Annecy who says that freeing the nerve is very urgent. I'm seeing him again tomorrow morning, so I'll know more then. I might just take you up on your offer. I hope things continue to improve for you and that you'll be climbing as soon as you get the green light.
 Andysomething 13 Nov 2013
Hi Andy. Here's my story. Hope it helps.
I had a burst fracture of L1 in a ski accident (2010) (plus some broken ribs but no other damage). It was fixed by Dr Dumas at St Ettienne CHU. I had a titanium frame and screws from T12 to L2 which isolated the burst fracture in L1, which was injected with a form of cement to bond the break. Effectively T1-L2 are fused. See link for pic. I was walking 4 days after the op. Doc said no climbing for 12 months. Spinal bone being slow to grow. The doc said a shock load whilst it was healing could prevent it from ever knitting properly. I had four physio sessions over four weeks when I got back which used a lot of pilates type stuff. She was brilliant. I felt well enough to climb after three months and sure that top roping would have been safe. BUT I decided to follow doctors orders, thinking of the big picture, and not wanting to push my luck (thought I'd used it all up already!). So I was back skiing 12 months later with back armour (which I still wear for skiing, psychological mainly, although if I'd been wearing it at the time the vertebrae would not have broken I'm sure) - and climbing (easy) 13 months later. The back is fine, no pain, good mobility.

You're a lot younger than me by the look of your profile photo. I was 55 at the time. Good luck with the scan. Think long term you have lots of time in front of you fingers crossed.
https://plus.google.com/photos/102575964027238130135/albums/594580767037397...
 French Erick 14 Nov 2013
In reply to Andy Lagan:
Multiple fractures D8 to D12. Just before I was 20. I am mid thirties, climb way harder than at the time. Ski way less hard because of the jumping frolics I was into.

Pathways to climbing. Whatever feels right. Listen to your body. You're on the right path. Look after yourself because you now have a chink in your armour. Exercise, stretch, do core.

Levi and Andysomething are both so right, it is likely that you will always have a sore back. Learn to manage it. If it is a consolation, it is when I climb/train the least that my back is the most sore. My wife and family have all witnessed it, they all know I can never stop being active

Good luck and enjoy your (many to come) time(s) in the hills.
 Mark Morris 29 Nov 2013
In reply to Andy Lagan:

Watching this thread with interest as I herniated a disk (L5/S1) in November last year and had nerve decompression surgery in September this year. I feel much better and am grateful to not be taking so many pain killers and be almost pain/ache free.

Though the physio has given green light for cycling and I'm on a phased return to work, I'm anxious to get back climbing but nervous of twisting/bending and causing more damage.

So 12 weeks from the surgery - what did other people get upto with success?

Mark
 Dave Musgrove 29 Nov 2013
In reply to Mark Morris:

I crushed L4 when 'the ground broke my fall' in Borrowdale in 1967. 10 days in hospital, 7 weeks in a huge plaster cast but climbing again about a month after losing that. Still climbing 46 years later. As others have said climbing, in particular the stretching involved, is good regular therapy. I was young at the time so that probably helps. I get a stiff back these days after exercise but nothing that stops me from climbing again the next day.

Take it easy bouldering and jumping off for a few months, but, unless your surgeon tells you otherwise, I suspect no reason why you shouldn't get back to normal. The body is great at healing itself but the road to full recovery is more about your will and determination.

Dave
OP Andy Lagan 30 Nov 2013
In reply to Mark Morris:

Thanks to everyone for the uplifting feedback! I had my final scan at Derriford Hospital last week, and the Surgeon told me that I can start a phased return to sports. I been working on planking for core strength, but haven't climbed yet. Yesterday I was using a chainsaw and splitting logs which felt fine.

Mark- I'll let you now how I get on after my first climb. Thanks heaps for the reply.
Andy
 SonyaD 30 Nov 2013
In reply to Mark Morris:

I had a discectomy and laminectomy of the same area as yourself back in 2007. Also have problems with the disc above that one and also in my neck but that is less problematic.

To be honest, I didn't listen to a word my physio said as they said I was too old now to be doing things like climbing and things like walking were best. My surgeon said climbing probably wasn't the best idea but then went on to say he knew that I would ignore that and advised to see my Chiropracter and/or a sports Therapist, said Physio would be a waste of time in helping me return to sport.

I was back climbing within a couple of months. Had the surgery in September and was out winter climbing with heavy sack etc that winter. In the January after I started running also. I get the odd time if I sit for too long where my foot starts going numb again and my calf muscle on affected leg is tighter than the other and cramps up sometimes. If I run too fast or have a good bouldering session then my back itself can hurt for a couple of days after but nothing like pre surgery.

It's always a bit nerve wracking to start using your affected part post injury or surgery, but I was of the opinion (and still am!) that the more I use my back muscles then the stronger they will be to support my spine.
I still feel a bit nervous falling off when I boulder as it's quite jolting to my spine and I still take the odd painkiller when climbing or running but that few and far between now.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...