UKC

What have you put off for years that you'd still like to do?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Denni 14 Nov 2013
I always thought I'd learn to play a bit more of the guitar after all, it doesn't take loads of time to practice each day, maybe 15 mins or so.

Never seem to get round to it though but for some reason I think I will eventually. Laziness perhaps?

What about the rest of you? Doesn't have to be anything to do with climbing but something like the above.
 jkarran 14 Nov 2013
In reply to Denni:

I'd like to make a watch, fly a fast jet and join a lifeboat crew. Haven't exactly been putting them off for years but nor am I being very proactive!

jk
 Alyson 14 Nov 2013
In reply to Denni:

Skydive
Travel to South America
Learn the Argentine Tango
Travel to Svalbard

Not so much putting them off as gradually getting round to them!
 Clarence 14 Nov 2013
In reply to Denni:

Guitar for me as well, I can play open chords and just about get a couple of barres but I want to play widdly-widdly stuff like Vai or Malmsteen.

I have also been thinking about getting my French up to scratch. I got a good O level in the eighties but I haven't really used it since, never even been to France.
 Ciderslider 14 Nov 2013
In reply to Denni: Move to Hathersage
 dutybooty 14 Nov 2013
In reply to Denni: Bushcraft trip to jungle and to a desert island.

Found a company that did three week trips when I was 16, a week of instruction and two weeks completely on your own with a GPS emergency thing, for £1000 all in plus flights.

Still want to do them.
 Robert Durran 14 Nov 2013
In reply to Denni:

E6 and 8a and VII
 Padraig 14 Nov 2013
In reply to Denni:

Co-incidentally, I've been revisiting my "bucket list" as a result of losing someone close recently where we both made tentative plans to go to Rjukan on more than one occasion, but never got around to it.... Not the whole list but....learn to kayak, try stand-up comedy (don't laugh!) play in the World Series of Poker (held annually in Las Vegas - entry fee $10k!)and most importantly, beat my eldest at pull-ups! (Currently 25 short, I was 12 short 2 x years ago!) You DID ask!
Oliiver 14 Nov 2013
In reply to Denni: Want to become prime minister
 Yanis Nayu 14 Nov 2013
In reply to Alyson:
> (In reply to Denni)
>
> Learn the Argentine Tango

I've now got an absolutely divine image of you in seamed stockings in my mind....
 angry pirate 14 Nov 2013
In reply to Denni:
Make a souffle
Removed User 14 Nov 2013
In reply to Denni:

Get round to understanding how a synchromesh works.

As a mechanical engineer it's mildly embarrassing to admit you don't know.

Other than that...not much. I must have had a fulfilling life or be gifted with an absence of ambition.
 Jim Fraser 14 Nov 2013
In reply to Removed User:

Baulk or split ring?

Jim Fraser 14 Nov 2013
In reply to Denni:

- Make a decent living.

- Set about a certain secretary of state with a large pile of information about how outrageously the people who work for him behave.

- Improve my French.
 Tall Clare 14 Nov 2013
In reply to Denni:

Write a book. Working on it. Swim front crawl properly, ditto. Run 10k, ditto.
 SARS 14 Nov 2013
In reply to Denni:

A threesome with two hot models.

Barring that, write a book; write some maths papers; make a billion dollars (as second prize I'll accept $100m).
 OwenM 14 Nov 2013
In reply to Denni: The Cassin route on Denali and a long backpacking trip to the Wind River Mountains.
 Yanis Nayu 14 Nov 2013
In reply to Denni: An E1
chad halfwit 14 Nov 2013
In reply to Denni
as a 12 year old i vividly remember watching Barry Sheene racing on a race track with a lake in the middle, dreaming 'one day', fast forward 18 years I'm sitting on the start line at Mallory Park on a Yamaha RD250 waiting for the flag to drop on my first Earlystocks race, living the dream. I still want to ski, surf, waterski do a tough guy, etc however an off road bike/tree interaction wrecked my knee so that stuff aint happening anytime soon. whatever you want to do, do it while you can.
I wanna get involved with scuba diving and am working towards that, hopefully next year!

JJL 14 Nov 2013
In reply to Denni:

Top Jeremy Clarkson, phone home, own up to the big one
Removed User 14 Nov 2013
In reply to Denni:

Visit and Photograph Iceland, Ride down the West Coast of the USA on a V twin. Get my Italian language skills to a higher level. Go and meet some old friends and haunts back in Papua.
 Jon Stewart 14 Nov 2013
In reply to JJL:
> (In reply to Denni)
>
> Top Jeremy Clarkson, phone home, own up to the big one

From the perspective of a gay man, the idea of topping Jeremy Clarkson has basically ruined my evening, which will now be spent cleaning up sick. Apologies if you don't get what I mean.
 JJL 14 Nov 2013
In reply to Jon Stewart:

I'm guessing "top" means more than just "club to death with a knobbly mattock"?
 Jon Stewart 14 Nov 2013
In reply to JJL:

Uh huh. Have you heard what Stewart Lee (my hero) has to say about Jeremy Clarkson?

youtube.com/watch?v=xgABbHPdwH4&
Oliiver 14 Nov 2013
In reply to Jon Stewart: Jon, what's wrong with Jeremy clarkson?
 Jon Stewart 14 Nov 2013
In reply to Oliiver:
> (In reply to Jon Stewart) Jon, what's wrong with Jeremy clarkson?

I think Stewart Lee put it much better than I could.
Oliiver 14 Nov 2013
In reply to Jon Stewart: Couldn't understand his accent.
 Jon Stewart 14 Nov 2013
In reply to Oliiver:
> (In reply to Jon Stewart) Couldn't understand his accent.

I can't understand a bloody word this woman says...

youtube.com/watch?v=RM9Jj7_UsrE&
In reply to Jon Stewart: That was the least funny 3.28 minutes I can rembember for a while. I love top gear because I'm either watching some crazy adventure that I fantasise about doing myself or I'm getting updated on the latest car tech - or I'm watching a pro driver drive supercars. I like all three of the presenters, I think all three are equally witty and intelligent.

Why can't intellectuals like you just leave the masses like me in peace to watch what we want to watch without having to make us feel stupid or inferior. They made you BBC 4 ffs!

PC is a total f*cking joke. Like most left wing policies it was a good idea until all and Sunday started screeching POLITICAL CORRECTNESS when someone says something they don't like. Why can't we just man up and tw*t each other like the good old days.

It just totally curtails freedom of speech.

Political correctness gone mad.
In reply to Jon Stewart:
> (In reply to Oliiver)
> [...]
>
> I can't understand a bloody word this woman says...
>
> youtube.com/watch?v=RM9Jj7_UsrE&

That's my old gaffer that John. I'll happily transcribe every word of that speech and post it for you if you like.

I went to war I didn't agree with for her. I couldn't have lived with the shame of conscientious rejection - I pledged an oath and I had to fufil my duty. The only way I could justify this was to not load my rifle on patrol. This is a chargable offence that could have landed me in prison. It was also pretty jack to my oppo's.

But I thought f*ck it, your here through your own choice, if you want to kill people do it. I think they have more right to shoot me than I have to shoot them and I'm not f*cking playing.

I was open, friendly and unthreatening to all the Iraqi people I met, and every single Iraqi I met was the same to me.

The only time I saw action (brief mexican standoff in Kenya) I was pretty much a pacifist - I forgot to cock my rifle. (I was tooled up for self defence - we were providing GPS data to the Kenyan Government so they could map the area and try to get some water infrastructure squared away).

http://m.flickr.com/photos/54685045@N08/10865296676/lightbox/

Enty 15 Nov 2013
In reply to Denni:

Write a book and solo a Bigwall..

E
SteveCarter 15 Nov 2013
In reply to Denni: ...have sex with my French teacher.
 Jon Stewart 15 Nov 2013
In reply to shaun l:

> It just totally curtails freedom of speech.
>
> Political correctness gone mad.

Tell me about it. You can't even write racial abuse in excrement on somebody's car these days without the PC brigade jumping down your throat.

The trouble with the anti-PC view is that PC is a reaction against the mistreatment of minorities. So, it's kind of hard to take a stand against PC that doesn't seem to be a stand in favour of going back to the commonplace racism, sexism and homophobia of the 1970s.

As for "curtailing freedom of speech" - it's not really is it. PC is people saying "I don't like what you just said" it isn't the government saying "if you say that, we'll put you in jail", unless you go as far as inciting racial hatred. And most people would say that those laws have generally been a good, rather than oppressive thing and have done more to protect the rights of minorities than to curtail freedom of speech.

What I always wonder about people who are anti-PC, is: what is that you want to say that you're being stopped from? If someone on here wants to call me a faggot, they're pretty free to do so, but I'll call them a thick c**t in return and explain why their attitude needs to be stamped out of society. I don't understand how freedom of speech has been curtailed at all, all I can see is that ugly attitudes get a lot more criticism than they did in the 1970s.
 Jon Stewart 15 Nov 2013
In reply to shaun l:

Interesting stories. I haven't got anything against the Queen and certainly wasn't trying to take the piss out of military service in her name. Just a joke about not being able to understand an accent.
 Trangia 15 Nov 2013
In reply to Denni:

1)Fly in an open cockpit biplane, preferably one stressed for aerobatics.

2) Taxi (or better still fly) in a Lancaster bomber and fly in a Spitfire.

Toby_W 15 Nov 2013
In reply to Denni:

Not something I've been putting off but something I'd love to do, fly one of those wing suits down a mountain.

Cheers

Toby
 Wingnut 15 Nov 2013
In reply to Tall Clare:
Your list pretty much matches mine!
 jimtitt 15 Nov 2013
In reply to Denni:
I´ve an immensely long list of things I´ve been putting off for years. it was written by my wife.
 Skip 15 Nov 2013
In reply to Oliiver:
> (In reply to Denni) Want to become prime minister

Which would revitalise an old desire of mine, live in a different country.

Others: Cycle to South Africa
Walk to Mt Kailash from India
Write a book
Learn photoshop
 teflonpete 15 Nov 2013
In reply to Denni:

Build my own home from scratch.

Tour round Europe for a year in a camper van.
In reply to Denni: Only 4 I can think of but I think only 3 are possible, maybe 2.

Massive continental motorcycle trip.

Drive a landrover through the Sahara.

Massive climber trip.

First ascent of a major face or virgins summit.

I'll let you guys figure out which 2 might not be possible.
 Choss 15 Nov 2013
In reply to Denni:

Hang gliding
Base jumping
Wing suit
Hot air balloon
Keeping Llamas
 Choss 15 Nov 2013
In reply to Denni:

And Having a donkey sanctuary
Bingers 15 Nov 2013
In reply to Denni:

Shag a really fit young (but not too young, obviously) bird.

Can't see it happening to be honest.

To the bloke with the French Teacher fetish - Ha, beat you there, but it wasn't my French Teacher, it was somebody yelse's.
 Yanis Nayu 15 Nov 2013
In reply to Bingers: My French teacher was well fit, and used to sit on her desk with her feet on my desk, and my eyes glued to her gusset. I didn't shag her, but I paid her the ultimate compliment (regular withdrawals from the wank bank) so frequently and vigorously I nearly pulled it out by the root...
 Sam_in_Leeds 15 Nov 2013
In reply to Denni:

Travelled the distance of the Settle to Carlisle Railway line or the North York Moors Steam Railway .

I live in Leeds

Or bought a telescope, or a road-bike or a half-decent mountain bike since I was 15 or walked up another Munro (Only done 1) or completed a long distance path (except The Nidderdale Way age 10) or had a threesome.

I turn 30 next thursday, somethings got to change. I can feel a mid-life crisis coming on.
 Phill Mitch 15 Nov 2013
In reply to Denni: For me it's, see the northern lights and learn to fly fish, not at the same time! I haven't been putting them off just too busy doing others!
 Phill Mitch 15 Nov 2013
In reply to Denni: Oh, and see whales in the sea, also see bears catch salmon in a river.
 Timmd 15 Nov 2013
In reply to Jon Stewart:
> (In reply to JJL)
> [...]
>
> From the perspective of a gay man, the idea of topping Jeremy Clarkson has basically ruined my evening, which will now be spent cleaning up sick. Apologies if you don't get what I mean.

Like! ()
 Nevis-the-cat 15 Nov 2013
In reply to Denni:

fire a dwarf out of a trebuchet
 Timmd 15 Nov 2013
In reply to Denni:

Go to Iceland and bring back a rock (or some sand) and some pictures, go see my friend in Amsterdam, learn to navigate in the hills.
 Tom Last 15 Nov 2013
In reply to Nevis-the-cat:
> (In reply to Denni)
>
> fire a dwarf out of a trebuchet

I've done that!
 Tom Last 15 Nov 2013
In reply to Tom Last:
> (In reply to Nevis-the-cat)
> [...]
>
> I've done that!

I haven't really.
 aln 15 Nov 2013
In reply to Timmd:
> (In reply to Denni)
>
> Go to Iceland and bring back a rock (or some sand) and some pictures,

Interesting ambition. Most people bring back bumper bags of economy burgers and tubs of ice cream.

Reach>Talent 15 Nov 2013
In reply to Tom Last:
I may be able to help if you can find a dwarf, my dad was eyeing up an old telegraph pole as a trebuchet arm and we aren't short of plans for one
 Yanis Nayu 15 Nov 2013
In reply to Reach>Talent: Practise on children until you find a real dwarf.
 Timmd 15 Nov 2013
In reply to aln:
> (In reply to Timmd)
> [...]
>
> Interesting ambition. Most people bring back bumper bags of economy burgers and tubs of ice cream.

I'd actually like to go with a Pod XPod 'sack and only half fill it when I go there, and bring back strange booze for the drinkers I know and random gifts and bits and pieces.
 aln 15 Nov 2013
In reply to Timmd:
> (In reply to aln)
> [...]
>
> I'd actually like to go with a Pod XPod 'sack and only half fill it when I go there, and bring back strange booze for the drinkers I know and random gifts and bits and pieces.

You know me now and I drink. I like trying strange booze. Feel free to send samples of any unusual alcohol you find in your local freezer shop.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...