UKC

Scottish Offpiste Guidebook: Nevis Range and Ben Nevis

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Cuthbert 15 Nov 2013
There is a new guide which has just come out. It details various routes on and near Aonach Mòr and Ben Nevis.

I saw it last night and it looks really good and full of ideas for excursions.

Get it here: http://www.skimountain.co.uk/
 d508934 15 Nov 2013
In reply to Saor Alba:

thanks, being looking for something like this for a while!

any one know of any scotland ski mountaineering books in the pipeline? or any current ones that I have missed?
 Fat Bumbly2 15 Nov 2013
In reply to d508934: Radio Scotland gave it some coverage - this morning the author had to defend himself against accusations that it was irresponsible and a better article this evening. One thing - it is not the first such book as they like to tell us.

The obvious predecessor is the SMC ski mountaineering guide.
OP Cuthbert 15 Nov 2013
In reply to Fat Bumbly2:

I think it probably is the first of its type. The SMC one is about ski touring, this is about descents.
 alasdair19 17 Nov 2013
In reply to d508934: for gentle touring there is angela oakleys classic and long out of print nordic skiing in scotland.

My brother has put a bunch of stuff on line useful for an edinburgh based skiier.

skitourscotland.co.uk

there are rumours of an SMC updated book but it could be a while
 d508934 22 Nov 2013
In reply to alasdair19:

thanks for the various guide book recommendations, prices start at about 60 quid though! hey. i guess that's cheap compared to buying all the ski gear itself!!
 Scomuir 22 Nov 2013
In reply to d508934:
If you're looking for info on steeper things, rather than tours, then there's also http://www.steepscotland.info/
 d508934 22 Nov 2013
In reply to Scomuir:

that's a quality site, but am looking more at getting into touring and ski mountaineering. there's a few good UKC articles but a guide book would be great. hopefully the rumours of a new SMC one are accurate!
 alasdair19 22 Nov 2013
In reply to d508934: breath holding on the smc book not recomended!
 sebrider 25 Nov 2013
In reply to Saor Alba:

I just got my copy, what a fantastic book, finally a proper off piste guide to the classics and less frequented lines to inspire A labour of love, Kenny has brilliantly presented his wealth of local knowledge with lots of nice photos, useful info on difficulty, and helpful references to similar routes for planning future outings. I can't wait to go boarding, bring on the powder!
moffatross 26 Nov 2013
In reply to sebrider:

Yep, and because he's managed to communicate the serious with humour and without Ego, it's really hard to put down. And it smells nice too, fresh of the press. :P

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...