UKC

Begging Text Messages

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 balmybaldwin 15 Nov 2013
I've just received a text message from 70800 begging for donations to the Haiyan funds for the Phillipines saying reply Yes to donate £5... the problem is, how do I find out if this is genuine and not a scam?

(For the record I've already donated via another method)

There is no identification of who this message has come from, and googling it tells me that I could use the same number for all manner of things...

by replying "Poppy" if gives £10 to the poppy appeal, "Islam" gives it to something else etc.

Am I alone in thinking this is wide open to scam artists?

Has anyone else received this, and has anyone used this service, and what convinced you that you weren't just lining some low-life's pockets?
 Gone 15 Nov 2013
In reply to balmybaldwin:

Looks legit to me. Shortcodes beginning with 70* are run by the telecoms operators on behalf of UK registered charities. It would, however, be nice if they publicised this a bit better, as you're right, you can't trust random phone numbers.

https://clients.txtnation.com/entries/472393-mFUSION-Charity-Short-Codes-UK
 Ropeboy 15 Nov 2013

I got it too but usually do it online so they get the gift aid.

J
 David Barratt 16 Nov 2013
In reply to balmybaldwin: I got this this morning as well and immediately wondered whether it was a scam or not, but a quick google reveals the number is used by EE and the 'Yes' text is indeed EE's appeal for aid for the Philippines.
 Only a hill 16 Nov 2013
I received it too and I'm on the EE network. I think it's legit.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...